Comedy Club Hits new Low

1 hour ago, sullyair said:

If you don’t like broadway shows, don’t see Grease. If you don’t like hearing non-stop about prior cruises, stay out of the D lounge, and if you can’t take adult language or jokes, stay out of the adult comedy show. Very simple. 

It isn't that simple, as I've said before it is hard to offend me and yet sometimes some comedians just aren't very good or are trying way too hard and it's not the right fit for the audience - usually in those times it isn't just me not laughing.  I enjoy adult comedy so will usually attend but will sit where my leaving early wouldn't be noticeable either as I would be livid if a comedian made a remark when I was leaving.  Not everyone is everyone's cup of tea, I am being respectful by leaving quietly as others may be enjoying the show, I'd prefer that same respect but unfortunately some comedians feel if someone doesn't think they're funny it is on the audience when sometimes it really is the comedian just isn't that funny.  I like the way Carnival does it since they bring in many different comedians each cruise so you have a variety, and often well known comedians.  On Royal I base going to the adult show on how well they do in the main show as I can usually get a good read on their likely material.  

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

Why would they go again? Hope springs eternal.

I felt that the comedian I saw struggled. He stayed too long on things that were not working with this audience. Maybe they worked with another audience. Definitely not edgy or hilarious.

Exactly, and because it is always a different comedian usually and my goodness there would be no career in comedy if they were all the same!  So I'll try them all and some I'll love and reminisce about their material and some will be those stories of "do you remember THAT comedian?" Great thing about being on a cruise, we can choose to try something and not have to keep doing it if we don't want to.  Actually, that's life, there's always a choice.

We have been to 3 quests in our 10+ RCL cruises. The first - and most memorable- was Indy's maiden cruise, with Ken Rush as CD.  As it was our first ever cruise we bought the Cruise in Review Dvd. .......and there's me, with Ken, with no trousers on, prancing around Studio B in our underwear......

We had a great comedian 2 cruises ago, went by the name of Tucker. His late night adult only show was hilarious - yes, adult jokes, sex references, but no 4 letter swear words at all.

Hope he pops up on Explorer later this year!

3 hours ago, sullyair said:

Sounds like you are made uncomfortable by an adult comedy show. May I suggest whatever RCI eventually replaces dreamworks with or a song/dance in the theater with the royal singers. 

That's quite a reach.  Sounds like you think comedy has to be anything but funny.  You also obviously love to stir the pot, or try to anyway.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 10:45 AM, awestover89 said:

Honestly, I've avoided it because so many other things on Royal that are advertised as "adult" are actually completely family friendly in content, so I basically just avoid anything that says "adult oriented" because I assume it won't actually be adult content (like the adult only karaoke, they had all the same songs as the other karaoke venues, nothing "adult" about it)

I have found that the late show comedy on Grandeur to be definitely more adult in language and subject matter.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:56 PM, MrMarc said:

Reminds me of the time My wife and I took her parents to see a show in Las Vegas.  I guess she didn't think about how prevalent topless showgirls were.  She was clearly embarrassed.  My father-in-law saw this, so he started to talk to me about comparing sizes and shapes.  I miss him.

We did a comedy headliner show in Vegas.

So, you are in Vegas, so expect it to be more adult.  There was ONLY a late show, hmm, another clue.  They were carding people at the entrance.  

Not long into the show, an older couple got up and walked out in a huff.  Oh well.  We enjoyed the show.

We have found the comedians on Grandeur (main show, no comedy club) to be, in the most part, pretty funny.

Both in their family show and their adult show.

But, as has been pointed out, comedy, like a lot of things is very subjective.  If you don't like it, fine.  But others might love it.

And yes, there are some not so great comedians, or even very good ones can have an off night.  Same thing with any performance/performer.   

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, voyager70 said:

Well said.  Personally I wouldn't have been offended if it were just me & SO but I would have been mortified if watching with my teenage kids or parents.

The thing is, if you are watching shows that you would be "mortified" for your kids or parents to know you watched, why are you watching them?  I'm assuming your parents are adults.  I don't know if your teenagers are.

You can certainly say "My parents have different comfort levels than me, so I would tell them it isn't for them." but to be mortified suggests you probably shouldn't be there yourself in the first place because that's on YOU, not THEM.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

The thing is, if you are watching shows that you would be "mortified" for your kids or parents to know you watched, why are you watching them?  I'm assuming your parents are adults.  I don't know if your teenagers are.

You can certainly say "My parents have different comfort levels than me, so I would tell them it isn't for them." but to be mortified suggests you probably shouldn't be there yourself in the first place because that's on YOU, not THEM.

Sorry, but I would be uncomfortable hearing graphic jokes about oral sex with my kids or parents present.  Don't know why that's so hard to understand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Sorry, but I would be uncomfortable hearing graphic jokes about oral sex with my kids or parents present.  Don't know why that's so hard to understand.

So DON'T GO with your parents or kids.  It is labeled an adult show, so anything goes.  What may mortify you may not mortify someone else with their family members.  If you become mortified, leave the show.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that my favorite part of this ABSURD thread is the fact that a couple of people  posted using the word "cuss", as though "curse" is such a bad word that  you can't say it.

😮  😄  

First 4 letter words, now 5!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gatour said:

So DON'T GO with your parents or kids.  It is labeled an adult show, so anything goes.  What may mortify you may not mortify someone else with their family members.  If you become mortified, leave the show.

That's exactly what I was saying.  It wouldn't bother me if I were just there with my SO but not with my parents or kids 😕

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that my favorite part of this ABSURD thread is the fact that a couple of people  posted using the word "cuss", as though "curse" is such a bad word that  you can't say it.

😮  😄  

Cuss is how some people were taught to say it. It doesn't mean anything.  Just like other words are regional.  Talk about absurd.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BND said:

Cuss is how some people were taught to say it. It doesn't mean anything.  Just like other words are regional.  Talk about absurd.

Thank you.  I always thought they were one in the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

😮  😄  

Cuss is common term around here.  Just like soda vs pop.   More common to hear the word "swear" farther north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Cuss is common term around here.  Just like soda vs pop.   More common to hear the word "swear" farther north.

Illinois?

This is the first picture I ever posted on CC.

sodamap.jpg.faea0cdbc175328371150eda787e6332.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

On 5/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, MrMarc said:

Reminds me of the time My wife and I took her parents to see a show in Las Vegas.  I guess she didn't think about how prevalent topless showgirls were.  She was clearly embarrassed.  My father-in-law saw this, so he started to talk to me about comparing sizes and shapes.  I miss him.

Sounds like a great father-in-law, I would miss him also

BTW Carnival does beat RCL comedy shows all to HE double toothpick, but that's about all they have over RCL

On 5/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, Host Clarea said:

I grew up with "cuss" as the common word, too.  It definitely wasn't because "curse" was some sort of bad word in comparison. Where I live now it's "curse" and that's what we use, we curse a lot 🙂

We recall a cruise Comedy Club comedian a few years back that started out his act by saying something (to the effect) "now just to warn everyone...during my entire act I will work incredibly hard not to use a single cuss, curse, swear, vulgar, or F-bomb term...so if you're offended by any of that...you should probably leave now".

He held true to his word...and had the audience actively participating and rolling in laughter almost the entire time he was on stage. It's for that very great & funny experience we remember it. I actually got a business card from him afterwards...but need to dig through several large envelopes of cruise printed materials to recall his name from the card.

It was probably one of the funniest comedy acts ever seen by us (including on TV with the "big names"). He completely avoided the "shock-jock humor" methods of many of his peers.

By the way...no one left...and many folks were talking about it onboard the next day in the WJ and other places. That was where the Comedy Club likely established its high point.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, Debrad128 said:

I agree, but so many times it is really funny and not crude.  This was the worst

Translation:  "I don't mind 'adult' humor, as long as it meets MY arbitrary determinants of what is and is not decent!  I am the ultimate judge and authority on this"

• Like 3