Comedy Club Hits new Low

On 5/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I think that my favorite part of this ABSURD thread is the fact that a couple of people  posted using the word "cuss", as though "curse" is such a bad word that  you can't say it.

😮  😄  

Have you literally never heard the slang term "cuss"?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Translation:  "I don't mind 'adult' humor, as long as it meets MY arbitrary determinants of what is and is not decent!  I am the ultimate judge and authority on this"

It would seem everyone uses that same criteria in one way or another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It would seem everyone uses that same criteria in one way or another.

Yes, we all do.  And then we decide for ourselves if something is to our liking or not.  But we don't necessarily then outwardly complain as though our opinion is universally held.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Yes, we all do.  And then we decide for ourselves if something is to our liking or not.  But we don't necessarily then outwardly complain as though our opinion is universally held.

Agree.

Unfortunately...the world has evolved to encourage loud complaining as nearly worthy of a "badge of honor" or something of that sort.

This site is named Cruise Critic. Some people see that literally as a mission, not realizing a true critic can properly see the positive things in something as easily and objectively as those things that don't meet expectations. 

• Like 4

Doesn't RCI change out their comedians on a given ship every so often?  They obviously have different comedians on different ships.  Not just on cruises, but I've seen/heard comedians that:

• Were "crude" but funny
  • Were "crude" but not funny
  • Were "clean" but funny
  • Were "clean" but not funny.

And everything in between.  Not every joke "hits" with me. 

Just because someone uses cuss (or curse) words and makes sexual jokes doesn't mean they're not funny.  It also doesn't automatically make them funny.  It's the same if they keep things clean.   

Contrary to what a PP poster claimed, comedy doesn't HAVE to be "edgy", "make someone uncomfortable", or "make people think".  Comedy has to be (or at least should be) funny.  Funny is in the eye of the beholder.  Language, timing, and subject all factor into whether it's judged funny or not.  

If you don't like a comedian's act, that's fine.  Don't go see that comedian again.  But why would you not go back to a venue to see a different comedian's act?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I think that my favorite part of this ABSURD thread is the fact that a couple of people  posted using the word "cuss", as though "curse" is such a bad word that  you can't say it.

😮  😄  

Cuss is just southern. Everyone I know says cussing. Its not a fear of the word curse, just a different word for the same use of bad language.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Philly Steve said:

Too many lazy comics who use foul language and sex as crutches to prop up weak writing.

True.  But also a fair number of weak minded people who are offended by nearly everything.  It’s an adult themed show intended for an adult audience.  If people get offended easily, simply don’t attend the adult show and enjoy the family oriented one.

15 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

True.  But also a fair number of weak minded people who are offended by nearly everything.  It’s an adult themed show intended for an adult audience.  If people get offended easily, simply don’t attend the adult show and enjoy the family oriented one.

Agree. With an Adult Comedy show it's like R rated movies. Sex talk and bad Language, besides that what else would make it Adult only? 

• Like 1

I agree. I have seen too many RC comedy shows in the last few years that substitute vulgarity- constant swearing and sex jokes - for actual talent. Some is fine, but I have seen this as a substitution for real comedy way too often.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Was his name Perry? We saw him on Celebrity (I don't know if he also works on Royal). He has a large following, but I thought he was horrible. Most of his "comedy" was insulting certain passengers. Very rude, but there are people that thinks it funny. 

I also do not find that funny. I usually find people insulting other people to be offensive. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, budmeister said:

I also do not find that funny. I usually find people insulting other people to be offensive. 

Same here.  Pathetic attempt at humour.  

Edited by voyager70
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

That's my point.  They use slang, rather than the full word.  In a discussion about "bad language".  😉

"cuss" is as much a part of common vernacular as "curse" or "swearing".  I don't for a minute believe anyone here now or ever really says 'cuss' "rather than the full word".  It's now a completely interchangeable term.

You are reacting like someone is a saying a woman is in a delicate condition because they're afraid to say "pregnant", or grandpa 'isn't with us', because they're afraid to say he died.  It's nothing like that, it's actually recognized as a word in most dictionaries.

10 hours ago, budmeister said:

I agree. I have seen too many RC comedy shows in the last few years that substitute vulgarity- constant swearing and sex jokes - for actual talent. Some is fine, but I have seen this as a substitution for real comedy way too often.

Agree. Words are a powerful things.

How they are used - context and intent - typically determines how they are received. 

15 hours ago, A2Mich said:

I think it is not a matter of being offended. I am annoyed if the comedian substitutes swearing and vulgarity for funny jokes- not that the swearing and vulgarity is there at all.

8 minutes ago, budmeister said:

I think it is not a matter of being offended. I am annoyed if the comedian substitutes swearing and vulgarity for funny jokes- not that the swearing and vulgarity is there at all.

The point is, YOU found them to not be funny.  That does not mean I, or anyone else, would find them not funny.

Maybe I would, or maybe I wouldn't.

• Like 2

As an example, the adult comedian on our cruise used Tourette syndrome as part of his act. Some people laughed; I didn't think it was funny. He was mocking an actual disability. If he did the same with other, more well known disabilities, he might have been booed. He also included 'restless leg syndrome' in this bit. Some things are just not funny.

Edited by marci22

12 minutes ago, marci22 said:

As an example, the adult comedian on our cruise used Tourette syndrome as part of his act. Some people laughed; I didn't think it was funny. He was mocking an actual disability. If he did the same with other, more well known disabilities, he might have been booed. He also included 'restless leg syndrome' in this bit. Some things are just not funny.

There was a comedian with Tourette's on one of the Network talent shows last year. Very self deprecating.  He did very well as I recall.