Makeup question

Hi all, quick question - heading to Alaska on HAL next month -first cruise and first trip to Alaska.  I was planning on packing my makeup bag in the checked luggage but it hit me last night that our travel agent mentioned we would need to place any checked luggage out in the hallway the night before disembarkation.  How do I put my makeup on the morning we leave to come home if it's already gone with the checked bag?  I'm guessing I need to carry makeup in the carry-on, right?  How do those of you who wear makeup handle this?  Thanks for considering my silly question!

You are allowed a small plastic bag for liquids, in hand luggage which has to be removed for security scans.

You can de cant usual make up into tiny pots/ contact lens containers.

You sometimes get small samples of mascara, lipstick etc. when spending enough to receive bonus offers..Clinique, Estee Lauder etc

Also you can get 10 day trial samples of many upmarket foundations in department stores. Might be enough for your cruise if you use sparingly, but will definitely be enough for overnight,. 

Add make up bag to suitcase after disembarking ship is another possibility.

• Like 1

If you want to keep your makeup with you for disembarkation morning,  you can always add it to your checked bag after you pick it up in the luggage area of the cruise terminal.   We have done this many  times.

• Like 3

How much makeup do you need to wear?   Do you need to wear a full-face for travel?  You can do like Daisyloo said and just add it to your big bags between picking it up act the terminal and transferring to your next mode of transportation.  Or, you can make room for it in your carryon.  Or, go minimalistic - moisturizer, maybe eyeliner, maybe brow (if you have none left, like me), and go.  I'm minimalistic 90% of my time anyway - I add some bronzer to my pale white face before I go to work, but that's it and I'm fine with it.  I live my my grandma's words she told me when I was first able to do makeup: "you don't need to tart yourself like a Shanghai whore."  Yes, she really said that!!!  Remember, back in the day pre-Mao, Shanghai was a rather risqué place, opium dens, brothels, speakeasys, gambling.  I guess some movies she saw had all those "painted ladies" or she had some friends who served in the Navy who told her about Shanghai...

• Like 3

I always keep my makeup in my carry-on. I've had tubes explode and pressed powders cracked a few times when I keep in checked luggage... and it's too expensive to have to chance having to replace it after travelling! Most liquid makeup is less than 3oz, and if you don't use a lot of liquid makeup, you don't have to keep most of it in the TSA-approved bag. I don't really like too much liquid makeup, so most of my stuff are powders.

If your makeup doesn't fit this approach and you want smaller containers of makeup, you could check out stores like Ulta or Sephora. Right by the registers, they have displays with smaller, sample sizes of stuff. For foundation, you can always ask for a sample at Sephora. They can sometimes give you a tiny sample. Not enough for multiple applications - but enough for a single day. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

How much makeup do you need to wear?   Do you need to wear a full-face for travel?  You can do like Daisyloo said and just add it to your big bags between picking it up act the terminal and transferring to your next mode of transportation.  Or, you can make room for it in your carryon.  Or, go minimalistic - moisturizer, maybe eyeliner, maybe brow (if you have none left, like me), and go.  I'm minimalistic 90% of my time anyway - I add some bronzer to my pale white face before I go to work, but that's it and I'm fine with it.  I live my my grandma's words she told me when I was first able to do makeup: "you don't need to tart yourself like a Shanghai whore."  Yes, she really said that!!!  Remember, back in the day pre-Mao, Shanghai was a rather risqué place, opium dens, brothels, speakeasys, gambling.  I guess some movies she saw had all those "painted ladies" or she had some friends who served in the Navy who told her about Shanghai...

Love your grandma's advice, slidergirl!  I'm certain both of my granny's would agree with her! 🤣  I don't wear heavy makeup, just enough to keep from scaring people.  HA!  This trip is to celebrate my 50th birthday so I should learn to embrace the "real" me, scary face and all, right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lab_love123 said:

I always keep my makeup in my carry-on. I've had tubes explode and pressed powders cracked a few times when I keep in checked luggage... and it's too expensive to have to chance having to replace it after travelling! Most liquid makeup is less than 3oz, and if you don't use a lot of liquid makeup, you don't have to keep most of it in the TSA-approved bag. I don't really like too much liquid makeup, so most of my stuff are powders.

If your makeup doesn't fit this approach and you want smaller containers of makeup, you could check out stores like Ulta or Sephora. Right by the registers, they have displays with smaller, sample sizes of stuff. For foundation, you can always ask for a sample at Sephora. They can sometimes give you a tiny sample. Not enough for multiple applications - but enough for a single day. 

Thank you for this helpful advice.  I hadn't thought about how the rough ride in checked luggage might damage pressed powders, etc.  And you are right, makeup is too expensive to have it damaged that way.  I've decided to put all of the makeup in my carry-on.

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice.  I've decided to take the makeup in my carry-on.  I don't have that many pieces to carry and my liquid foundation is in a 1 oz bottle; way less than the 3 oz rule.  I'll put it all in a clear quart bag and stop over thinking it.  I know this seemed a silly question but I honestly had hit a point where my brain was too full with trip madness.  This trip has had so many layers to plan (thank goodness we've had 6 months to do it) and this simple decision seemed like a mountain to climb.🤪 

• Like 2

Can’t you just put your makeup bag in your purse, disembark, then place it in your suitcase once reunited with it? Your checked bag isn’t going straight from outside your cabin to your final destination without you seeing it again, right?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, msdiggerj said:

Love your grandma's advice, slidergirl!  I'm certain both of my granny's would agree with her! 🤣  I don't wear heavy makeup, just enough to keep from scaring people.  HA!  This trip is to celebrate my 50th birthday so I should learn to embrace the "real" me, scary face and all, right? 

Go for it!!!  Give your face a vacation, let it breathe!!   I'm 65.  At work, I do my mimimalist deal every day (my bronzer is the Too Faced Chocolate Gold Soleil powder in a compact - looks great and it really tastes like chocolate when you get some on your lips).   No one at work believes I'm 65 - they think I'm maybe 55.  I truly believe that's due to being a minimalist all my life with my face!  Well, that and coloring my hair (just got my Summer Blonde highlights put in today in advance of my trip to Florida).

I can't stand wearing makeup when I fly - it's just my moisturizer and let the rest of it go natural.  It's not like I'm going to be having high tea with Queen Elizabeth 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlennaRoseGoes said:

Can’t you just put your makeup bag in your purse, disembark, then place it in your suitcase once reunited with it? Your checked bag isn’t going straight from outside your cabin to your final destination without you seeing it again, right?

Well, I've been told the port authority in Seattle has a program where if we fill out the forms prior to leaving the ship, our checked bag will be taken directly to the airport, we'll be checked in and won't see the bag again until we arrive back at our home airport.  I was considering using this program so that's what prompted me to think I wouldn't see the makeup kit again if it's in the checked bag.  However, I can't confirm this program is true (and whether I trust it) so if we stick to the normal way of doing things, yes, I should be able to put the clear bag of makeup in my purse, leave the ship and place in the checked bag when we are reunited.

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Go for it!!!  Give your face a vacation, let it breathe!!   I'm 65.  At work, I do my mimimalist deal every day (my bronzer is the Too Faced Chocolate Gold Soleil powder in a compact - looks great and it really tastes like chocolate when you get some on your lips).   No one at work believes I'm 65 - they think I'm maybe 55.  I truly believe that's due to being a minimalist all my life with my face!  Well, that and coloring my hair (just got my Summer Blonde highlights put in today in advance of my trip to Florida).

I can't stand wearing makeup when I fly - it's just my moisturizer and let the rest of it go natural.  It's not like I'm going to be having high tea with Queen Elizabeth 😉

I've been hearing a lot about bronzers lately.  Can you tell me the difference between that and pressed powder?  Is it better for mature skin?  I feel my makeup routine needs a facelift (ha) but I'm intimidated by the abundance of product out there.  Also, I'm not confident in having a twenty-something at the Ulta counter try to advise me concerning my 50 year old skin.🤣

2 hours ago, msdiggerj said:

I've been hearing a lot about bronzers lately.  Can you tell me the difference between that and pressed powder?  Is it better for mature skin?  I feel my makeup routine needs a facelift (ha) but I'm intimidated by the abundance of product out there.  Also, I'm not confident in having a twenty-something at the Ulta counter try to advise me concerning my 50 year old skin.🤣

The Too Faced isn't  major bronzer, like you look like you spent hours on the beach.  It just gives a little boost.  This one I guess you could say is a lightly pressed powder, more like a blush you put all over instead of just your cheeks,.   I use my big MAC brush to put it on: swipe twice across the forehead, add powder, swipe twice down the side and once down the cheek, add powder, repeat the other side, then a quick flurry from the eyes down the nose, chin, and neck.  Not a heavy application, just light swipes. The Chocolate Gold Soleil has flecks of gold in it, so you get a nice bright look.   

P.S.  At my closest Sephora store, they have a few "mature" women working there, so I don't have to get the 20-something telling me what I need...

For travel - the brush size needed for a powder bronzer would take up more space than all my other makeup needs ;-) I'm pretty minimalist every day, even more so on vacation. 

I won't get into specifics of your makeup routine because that's not what you asked here, but - my carry-on bag is with me in my cabin overnight (however I'm packing for a specific trip, I will have *some* sort of carry-on), my toiletries from the morning (and my pjs, whatever else is in the cabin) go in that with me to the airport. I'm not letting my valuables out of site (jewelry, passport, prescriptions etc) I don't think I've ever had to put stuff from my carry-on into a checked bag (on the dock or at the airport) but there would be the option to do that if I desired.....

I have always packed my make up in my carry on bag...…..I don't wear a lot of it and it just easier to have it with me.....my toiletries, makeup and jewelry all go with me in my carry on.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

For travel - the brush size needed for a powder bronzer would take up more space than all my other makeup needs 😉 I'm pretty minimalist every day, even more so on vacation. 

I won't get into specifics of your makeup routine because that's not what you asked here, but - my carry-on bag is with me in my cabin overnight (however I'm packing for a specific trip, I will have *some* sort of carry-on), my toiletries from the morning (and my pjs, whatever else is in the cabin) go in that with me to the airport. I'm not letting my valuables out of site (jewelry, passport, prescriptions etc) I don't think I've ever had to put stuff from my carry-on into a checked bag (on the dock or at the airport) but there would be the option to do that if I desired.....

When I travel, I've got a mini-Kabuki brush that I got when I bought a trial trio of Too Face Bronzers.  It's 2" long from tip to end of handle, and maybe 1/2 inch in circumference.  It works great for me.

I do carryon only (90% of the time) so I don't have to think about where to pack it... 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:21 AM, msdiggerj said:

Well, I've been told the port authority in Seattle has a program where if we fill out the forms prior to leaving the ship, our checked bag will be taken directly to the airport, we'll be checked in and won't see the bag again until we arrive back at our home airport.  I was considering using this program so that's what prompted me to think I wouldn't see the makeup kit again if it's in the checked bag.  However, I can't confirm this program is true (and whether I trust it) so if we stick to the normal way of doing things, yes, I should be able to put the clear bag of makeup in my purse, leave the ship and place in the checked bag when we are reunited.

Ahhhhh......I’ve heard of the Miami and FLL ports having similar programs, but I didn’t know any of the NW or Alaska ports did this. Sounds like a great idea, but I personally would be a little suspicious!

I travel pretty much exclusively carry-on but don’t go super minimal with make up. I decant foundation and B.B. cream into these tiny tubes: https://camerareadycosmetics.com/products/yaby-12-ml-refillable-empty-tubes-pack-of-3. A cream blush (I have one from Kevin Aucoin) can do double duty as a lip tint AND can be blended with fingers or Beauty Blender (no need for additional tools). IF I take a setting powder, I decant my huge Laura Mercier container into a tiny jar (either old Sephora sample or new one from Container Store) and take this retractable kabuki brush which packs down pretty well: https://www.sephora.com/product/kabuki-brush-P384066?om_mmc=ppc-GG_1533944608_60212794764_pla-300930874042_1578137_291191670156_9061214_t&country_switch=us&lang=en&ds_rl=1261471&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw34_cRKkSdu27kVOCNSDrHDr0uUCkQJ4we3X9JPBerF58OMYdv_u5eUoaAo3wEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by GlennaRoseGoes

On 5/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, Lois R said:

I have always packed my make up in my carry on bag...…..I don't wear a lot of it and it just easier to have it with me.....my toiletries, makeup and jewelry all go with me in my carry on.

Ditto! My cosmetics, jewelry, travel info, wallet are always with me in a personal sized bag, which slides under the seat. Plus my favorite scarf! 

Ann

I try to stay minimalist on trips and so my make up and medicine and Nook go in my small item Vera Bradley bag. My brush set I toss into a checked bag last thing along with my make up mirror (wheelchair user and theirsee are never where I can use it). Flights to and from I have discovered Magic! Clinique now sells actual tint in a BIY (Blend It Yourself) very tiny plastic squeeze bottle. You find your tint then a few drops can be added to moisturizer or color corrector and mixed on the back of your hand then just apply liberally. I have tried many tinted moisturizers and none seem moist enough so this is perfect for me. You can also add it to sunscreen. I save foundation for evenings and I get compliments about being younger than I am. I also just found 2 new MAC eye shadows for summer and one easily doubles as a tiny bit of blush which I normally do not wear. What I pack going in checked baggage are make off remover towelettes and just leave any I do not use onboard. As long as you close the pouch anD then turn it over so weight keeps it sealed a 24 pack stays damp for a full 24 day B2B like we do most Januarys. This next trip starts in Barcelona and end a week after we hit Greenwich 14 days later so I will bring a long a few single samplers for those last few nights. I need to get in my beauty sleep as we head to Chicago tomorrow for a relaxed night before a late flight to Spain on Friday and we board the Journey on Tuesday.

13 hours ago, NorthernLite said:

I try to stay minimalist on trips and so my make up and medicine and Nook go in my small item Vera Bradley bag. My brush set I toss into a checked bag last thing along with my make up mirror (wheelchair user and theirsee are never where I can use it). Flights to and from I have discovered Magic! Clinique now sells actual tint in a BIY (Blend It Yourself) very tiny plastic squeeze bottle. You find your tint then a few drops can be added to moisturizer or color corrector and mixed on the back of your hand then just apply liberally. I have tried many tinted moisturizers and none seem moist enough so this is perfect for me. You can also add it to sunscreen. I save foundation for evenings and I get compliments about being younger than I am. I also just found 2 new MAC eye shadows for summer and one easily doubles as a tiny bit of blush which I normally do not wear. What I pack going in checked baggage are make off remover towelettes and just leave any I do not use onboard. As long as you close the pouch anD then turn it over so weight keeps it sealed a 24 pack stays damp for a full 24 day B2B like we do most Januarys. This next trip starts in Barcelona and end a week after we hit Greenwich 14 days later so I will bring a long a few single samplers for those last few nights. I need to get in my beauty sleep as we head to Chicago tomorrow for a relaxed night before a late flight to Spain on Friday and we board the Journey on Tuesday.

Which MAC shadows did you find?   I have some old standards in neutrals - Coquette and Wedge.  

Enjoy your trip!   I'm heading to Florida tomorrow and hoping I don't melt - going from snow (it's snowing again TODAY) to high 80s and sun and humidity.  

On 5/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, GlennaRoseGoes said:

Ahhhhh......I’ve heard of the Miami and FLL ports having similar programs, but I didn’t know any of the NW or Alaska ports did this. Sounds like a great idea, but I personally would be a little suspicious!

I travel pretty much exclusively carry-on but don’t go super minimal with make up. I decant foundation and B.B. cream into these tiny tubes: https://camerareadycosmetics.com/products/yaby-12-ml-refillable-empty-tubes-pack-of-3. A cream blush (I have one from Kevin Aucoin) can do double duty as a lip tint AND can be blended with fingers or Beauty Blender (no need for additional tools). IF I take a setting powder, I decant my huge Laura Mercier container into a tiny jar (either old Sephora sample or new one from Container Store) and take this retractable kabuki brush which packs down pretty well: https://www.sephora.com/product/kabuki-brush-P384066?om_mmc=ppc-GG_1533944608_60212794764_pla-300930874042_1578137_291191670156_9061214_t&country_switch=us&lang=en&ds_rl=1261471&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw34_cRKkSdu27kVOCNSDrHDr0uUCkQJ4we3X9JPBerF58OMYdv_u5eUoaAo3wEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, Seattle is one of the ports with this program but I found out today it's $19.95 per person so we'll be skipping it! 

Thanks so much for the link to the camera ready tiny tubes; these are fabulous!  I'm going to get a pack so I can decant foundation and moisturizer.  These will save me tons of space in toiletries bag.

14 hours ago, NorthernLite said:

Thank you for the tips; much appreciated!  I love Clinique products so I'll look for the BIY tint. 

Your trip sounds amazing - have a fantastic time!