Whatever happened to Prince Rupert BC

anyone know why Prince Rupert no longer seems to be a stop on the Alaska itineraries any more??  Everyone seems to call in at Victoria, but I haven't seen any trips with PR in ages..... It was a lovely little stop, and I'd love to visit there again.  

2 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

anyone know why Prince Rupert no longer seems to be a stop on the Alaska itineraries any more??  Everyone seems to call in at Victoria, but I haven't seen any trips with PR in ages..... It was a lovely little stop, and I'd love to visit there again.  

Vancouver based ships don't require additional calls, so only Seattle & San Francisco ships must visit a Canadian Port. PR adds a few extra miles to the trip and as Seattle is already further from Alaska than Vancouver, it would further reduce time in Alaska.

Believe a few ships per year still stop in PR. Other than cruise ships, both BC Ferries & Alaska State Ferries provide service to PR.

• 2 weeks later...

Many luxury cruise lines still call on Prince Rupert. The bigger ships don't typically anymore. It's a shame - it's a nice place.

You can go there quite frequently on Windstar and Seabourn this year.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes it is really too bad that the big cruise lines have all dropped Prince Rupert... as it is an interesting port that offers a BIG WARM Welcome to visitors ... the harbor is the 7th largest natural harbor in the world so not a problem for ships to get in and out ---  

18 hours ago, BCHappyGal said:

Yes it is really too bad that the big cruise lines have all dropped Prince Rupert... as it is an interesting port that offers a BIG WARM Welcome to visitors ... the harbor is the 7th largest natural harbor in the world so not a problem for ships to get in and out ---  

Used to dock in Prince Rupert twice per week during the winter months and every 2nd day during summer. While it is definitely a large harbour, it has a somewhat narrow entrance that can be challenging when the wind blows, especially for cruise ships.

It is also one of the few times I ever experienced dragging the anchor because of wind.