Our life on the Edge, 28 April 2019 TA, some photos & video

Silkroad

Due to my allergies, I had wondered if I would be able to use the toiletries in our Concierge bathroom. I knew they would be a C.O. Bigelow Lavender blend. I am able to use some botanical products, but not all. I'm happy to report that I was able to use the products without problems, and they had a lovely scent☺️ We had shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion (all in large refillable containers) as well as bar soap.

My only complaint about the bathroom was the lack of a small rack on which to put my razor and other personal items. The Concierge IV cabins had only one large rack, on which the large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash resided (see first photo). In contrast, the regular IV cabins had built-in refillable containers, as well as an additional rack for personal items (see second photo, which was kindly provided by a friend who had one of those cabins).

20190504_114659.jpg

14358.jpeg

Edited by Silkroad

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

I think your DH will find his favorite spot unchanged🙂 During my research on smoking areas, I spoke with two very congenial people there. I also met a couple of nice people in the smoking area at the Sunset Bar.

20190512_114404a.jpg

20190512_114449a.jpg

20190512_115045a.jpg

20190512_115231.jpg

Cant wait to show dh these photos...thanks so much...

It is a nice area...as are the others.... I  am  not a smoker but  dh deserves his dignity!

• Like 1

Our assessment of our Infinite Veranda cabin:

Pros:  

• very comfortable mattress, pillows, and linens.
  • as much storage as Solstice class, though arranged differently.
  • lovely bathroom, with plenty of storage and spacious shower (compared to S class).
  • both an exhaust fan AND a light in the shower. Finally, ladies, we can see to shave our legs!
  • infinite veranda is more flexible than traditional veranda, adds space and a table & chairs to the cabin if the window is closed.
  • we heard less noise from the adjacent verandas.

Cons:

• veranda chairs are too large for the space (and angle of back is uncomfortable IMO).
  • no way to have privacy without using oppressive room-darkening blind.
  • TV across from bed makes already inadequate passage between wall & bed even worse.
  • full length mirror behind "desk" is useless, because there's barely enough counter space with desk fully extended.
  • fixed metal clothing rack in middle of closet renders small closet less useful. Should be collapsible.
  • with bed by bath, it is difficult to access the closet, especially the bottom drawer, and items on the floor.
  • concierge IV shower lacks a rack for razor and other personal items.

We would like to see Celebrity add or change:

• a full length mirror to the wall across from the bathroom door. It needn't be lighted.
  • an additional rack in the Concierge shower for personal items.
  • a collapsible clothing rack in place of the fixed one in the middle of the closet.
  • move TV to wall across from the sofa/love seat, and add swivel bracket. 

We like to have breakfast on the veranda on occasion, and we do enjoy having wine and cheese on the veranda late in the afternoon. I wake early, and like to slip onto the veranda to view the sea, sky, and shore while DH sleeps. The current IV veranda is inadequate for all these activities. The chairs are too large for the space. It's impossible to reach the control switch for the IV window, or open/close the bifold doors without moving furniture. We didn't bother trying to order room service breakfast because of the tiny table. I couldn't move chairs and open the noisy shade & window without waking DH (though he says this doesn't matter because he usually goes right back to sleep).

I missed the traditional veranda more than DH did, but I did see the value of the flexibility of the Infinite Veranda. We would not book another Infinite Veranda unless the new veranda chairs (on order) render the veranda easier to use without moving furniture to reach the window controls or open/close the bifold doors. We would also like to see all the bifold doors frosted (some have already been frosted), because that would allow us to have privacy without feeling as though we're in a dark cave. IMO the cabin is too dark and oppressive when the blind is closed completely. Should those issues be resolved, we would consider an Infinite Veranda cabin for some itineraries, but only for the right price. 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1

I totally missed that cake for Mothers' Day!  That is unbelievable, as cake, especially Red Velvet, is one of my most favorite items to eat!  It was  because of my 6 hour tour that was supposed to be four hours...just thought of that!  Now I know why it is so important to experience and read reviews about the exact same cruise, as one always learns something new, especially about the details!

Edited by Lastdance

11 hours ago, hcat said:

I do splurge a bit while cruising but prefer the  Iglus!  But I will definitely try a Golden Margarita on EDEN!

Those Iglus are very tasty😋  We found the best Golden Margaritas at the Martini Bar🍹,  but should probably do a taste comparison on our cruise😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Cant wait to show dh these photos...thanks so much...

It is a nice area...as are the others.... I  am  not a smoker but  dh deserves his dignity!

I agree! Tell him he shouldn't think the areas are always so empty. Most people were still out on excursions when I took the photos. I like the fact that there's plenty of air flow in all three areas, and shaded areas in two of them, because that makes it easier for the rest of us to sit with loved ones who smoke.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

On our Edge  cruise,  we decided not to attempt walking off as we have been doing for the last few years. Too much luggage,  too long a walk  going downward with our rollies....and too many folks now doing it now,  plus suite guests go first!

We found it very  interesting that AQ Class had no waiting space other than BLU for breakfast, yet Concierge Class  was invited to Normandie.  We never received any   inquiry about our post cruise arrangements,  and  all  of AQ Class deck 9 ( other than suites) were given the same very high disembark no.  We immed went to GR and were given a much earlier number with  our meeting place in the theater. We opted for that location over E + meeting  place on Deck 3  at Tuscan. 

Easy getting to the theater and once called we zipped right off the ship.... we will do that in Nov as well if we can,  luggage was easy to find...YAY!

We were not asked about post cruise travel arrangements either. We were also given a high number, 31 or 32. The friends who had arranged our shared transport to LHR were in a suite, so they were in Group 1. I had to go to Guest Relations, but had no problem getting an lower number that would allow us to disembark in time to meet our driver.

We did not use either our Concierge waiting area or the Elite waiting area. Given the packed elevators, and the fact that the four of us were coming from decks 11 and 12, it was more convenient to meet our friends midship.

We had a little trouble finding our luggage, because it was sitting in an area with no number. We walked around looking at numbers, muttering to ourselves, 20, 21, 21, 23, 24, 26, 27. We were number 25😂 Fortunately, we spotted the large, bright yellow luggage tags and red luggage straps. Voila! I hope the other 25's found their bags.

17 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I agree! Tell him he shouldn't think the areas are always so empty. Most people were still out on excursions when I took the photos. I like the fact that there's plenty of air flow in all three areas, and shaded areas in two of them, because that makes it easier for the rest of us to sit with loved ones who smoke.

Thanks for that reminder...We usually found a spot with good air flow .And going into port had a  really good view...might have been San Juan???

The  similar spot on the other side of the ship had really comfy loungers...was well shaded and also good views. .

You made some  good point about the IV cabins..Only disagree about TV across from the " sofa"  It is very low and scratchy material so not idea for watching TV..we never sat on ours.

AQ had dff set up for shapoos etc but still tight in the shower for items and  still could use another little shelf.

hope Celebrity pays attention to your  lists!

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

This has been a great way to share your journey Silkroad - have been with you all the way 🙂

Sadly, I can't see it being us up next as we are not on until August ---- getting closer now though and our on-line check is officially OPEN !!!! Can NOT wait to meet Mr Edge in 'person' 🙂

Thanks so much, Presto2! It's nice to see positive feedback, especially after having had a computer glitch that cost me 45 minutes work on our cabin assessment for this review. I had to give myself a time out when that happened😉 

It's so exciting that your online check in is open!  I can't wait to hear what you think of Edge, and your cabin. You're booked in an SV, right? Please pat Mr. Edge for me☺️

10 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

We were not asked about post cruise travel arrangements either. We were also given a high number, 31 or 32. The friends who had arranged our shared transport to LHR were in a suite, so they were in Group 1. I had to go to Guest Relations, but had no problem getting an lower number that would allow us to disembark in time to meet our driver.

We did not use either our Concierge waiting area or the Elite waiting area. Given the packed elevators, and the fact that the four of us were coming from decks 11 and 12, it was more convenient to meet our friends midship.

We had a little trouble finding our luggage, because it was sitting in an area with no number. We walked around looking at numbers, muttering to ourselves, 20, 21, 21, 23, 24, 26, 27. We were number 25😂 Fortunately, we spotted the large, bright yellow luggage tags and red luggage straps. Voila! I hope the other 25's found their bags.

Glad it worked out..wonder why they do not ask ?

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Glad it worked out..wonder why they do not ask ?

They never paid attention to what we wrote when they DID ask, so it made no difference to us. Regardless, we've always ended up at Guest Relations to get a lower number, or ignored the whole thing because we were doing self walk off.

I just read a comment (on another thread) about constant sales pressure on Celebrity cruises, which reminded me to address the topic here. We had absolutely NO pressure to book a drink package on this cruise. We were amazed (and pleased). We had perhaps three sommeliers try to interest us in wine tasting events, and there were sometimes people stationed outside OVC who were trying to interest people in various specialty restaurants. Really, this was the most low pressure cruise we've had in the past three years.

• Like 3

Is a Concierge Cabin worthwhile on Edge?

This was our second time in a Concierge cabin. Our first Concierge cabin was on Silhouette last year. Note that Edge Concierge Veranda cabins are the same size as Veranda cabins, and this is true on Solstice class ships also. 

We did have priority boarding, and we enjoyed a relaxed luncheon in Cosmopolitan. We were very happy with the pillows we found in the cabin, so we didn't explore the pillow options. Our excellent cabin attendant, Dony, offered to supply us with a cheese & cracker plate in place of the "Delectable Delights", an offer we happily accepted. I requested a bottle of dry white wine in place of the sparkling wine, and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc appeared a couple days later. Note - some attendants cannot or will not swap the bubbly for wine, so I go with the flow on this😉 A fruit bowl appeared on day two or three. There were no footstools, unfortunately, but we knew there would be none on Edge (and they wouldn't have fit on the tiny veranda anyway). We (especially me) enjoyed the Concierge sail away from Bilbao. We saw no evidence that we were given priority seating in any of the MDRs or the specialty restaurants.

IMO Concierge benefits are a bit less valuable on Edge class, because we can take our carry on bags to our cabins immediately after boarding (though the cabins aren't quite ready yet) drop them in the closet, and explore the ship. Sure, the luncheon is lovely, but we're quite capable of fending for ourselves in the OVC. Dealing with the first day melee in OVC is less fun when we're encumbered by our carry on bags.

We usually book cruises that are 12 nights or longer. On Edge or Solstice class ships, I've never thought Concierge Class was worth more than $50.00 per person, per cruise. Having sailed on Edge, I see no reason to change that assessment. 

20190512_235039a.jpg

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Our assessment of our Infinite Veranda cabin:..............

I haven't sailed on the Edge yet.  One thing you did not mention about the IV that has been a concern of mine is the "feel" of the IV.  I worry that the IV may not give one the feeling of being outdoors - rather more like sitting in front of an open window.  What's your take on this?  Did you get the balcony feel?

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I haven't sailed on the Edge yet.  One thing you did not mention about the IV that has been a concern of mine is the "feel" of the IV.  I worry that the IV may not give one the feeling of being outdoors - rather more like sitting in front of an open window.  What's your take on this?  Did you get the balcony feel?

No. It felt nothing like being on a traditional balcony (see attached photo). It was like sitting or standing at an open window, but that is what we expected from the early photos and reviews. We knew we were making a trade off between the advantages and disadvantages of the two "balcony" types when we booked. What we could not know (having never been on a river cruise) is how we would actually feel once we stayed in an IV. As you can see from my post that you quoted, DH felt the advantages of the IV more than I did, and I missed having a traditional veranda more then he did🙂

This is only my opinion, but I would never book an IV:

• if I loved lying/sitting in the sun for hours on my veranda
  • for a cruise in the Caribbean or another hot climate

Otherwise, if the new chairs on order serve to make the veranda more easily usable, we'd consider one for other itineraries. For the Greek Isles next May, I definitely wanted a traditional veranda, so I booked an SV.

20190428_133107.jpg

Edited by Silkroad

52 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

No. It felt nothing like being on a traditional balcony (see attached photo). It was like sitting or standing at an open window, but that is what we expected from the early photos and reviews. We knew we were making a trade off between the advantages and disadvantages of the two "balcony" types when we booked. What we could not know (having never been on a river cruise) is how we would actually feel once we stayed in an IV. As you can see from my post that you quoted, DH felt the advantages of the IV more than I did, and I missed having a traditional veranda more then he did🙂

This is only my opinion, but I would never book an IV:

• if I loved lying/sitting in the sun for hours on my veranda
  • for a cruise in the Caribbean or another hot climate

Otherwise, if the new chairs on order serve to make the veranda more easily usable, we'd consider one for other itineraries. For the Greek Isles next May, I definitely wanted a traditional veranda, so I booked an SV.

20190428_133107.jpg

Thanks.  Pretty much confirms my feeling.  I'm looking at a Norwegian fjords cruise and I would love an IV,  but for warm climates I'm just not a fan.

• Like 1

This was our first cruise at the Captain's Club Elite level, and two of our new benefits were very useful (as we'd expected). Both DH and I were able to have a complimentary bag of laundry done. This meant we had to hand wash only a few items. I used my Internet Discount to get 30% off an unlimited package. DH used his complimentary 90 minutes until they ran out, after which we shared my package (one device at a time) as needed. Since I handle our finances and do all our travel planning, I receive all the statements & alerts, so our strategy worked perfectly for us.

As I mentioned earlier in my review, we attended the Captain's Club Paradise (a cocktail event to welcome us aboard), the Wine Tasting, and the Senior Officers' Party. The first two were enjoyable, and the last one might have been more enjoyable if we'd turned up a bit earlier.

We tried the Captain's Club Coffee Lounge, held in Tuscan between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., only once. We arrived at perhaps 9:30 a.m., and left unimpressed. They seemed to be understaffed for the the great hordes of Elite and above passengers on this cruise. We intended to try again later in the cruise, but never got around to it. We were on deck 12, midship, so trotting up to the OVC for breakfast was a piece of cake for us☺️ We'll check out the Captain's Club breakfast spread on our next cruise, which is not a TA.

The bars were very crowded during the Captain's Club Elite (and above) Cocktail Hour. On this sailing, we had unlimited drinks (from a limited menu) between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. We noticed that some clever devils staked out their favorite spot in their favorite bar an hour or two early, reading their iPads or playing cards. At 5:00 p.m. they were already getting their wine or cocktails while the rest of us looked for seats😂  Experience counts😉

Edited by Silkroad

5 minutes ago, SharonK said:

Am I correct that the only traditional balconies on the Edge are either in SV cabins or suites?

Not exactly. There is still a category on Edge class named Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda, but the veranda isn't like the ones on the other ships. You would have a sliding door to the balcony, which is furnished with the same table and chairs as the IV's. This veranda has a porthole opening in the hull. I think it's pretty cool, but some would say it's too small.

20190429_124808.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Not exactly. There is still a category on Edge class named Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda, but the veranda isn't like the ones on the other ships. You would have a sliding door to the balcony, which is furnished with the same table and chairs as the IV's. This veranda has a porthole opening in the hull. I think it's pretty cool, but some would say it's too small.

20190429_124808.jpg

Thank you Michelle.  Your review has been excellent covering just about everything I can think of.  Appreciate you taking the time to do it!😊

1 minute ago, SharonK said:

Thank you Michelle.  Your review has been excellent covering just about everything I can think of.  Appreciate you taking the time to do it!😊

Thanks Sharon☺️ I'm almost there...

I forgot to mention that this is the first time I've not seen an Elite and above sail in or sail away event on a cruise. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised. The spa deck (the one with the Golden Penguins) is smaller than the "Helipad" on S class ships, and there were a lot of Elite and above members aboard. The Captain's Club Paradise (welcome cocktail party) was broken into two groups because they couldn't pack all of us into Eden at once😂 

Live music 

I've spent some time thinking about my reaction to the live music aboard Edge on this cruise. First, I really regret having missed The Reckless Charms and Michael Reddon, who were on Edge for earlier cruises. Second, I rarely dislike music performed by talented musicians, regardless of their playlist. I enjoyed listening to all the music I heard, but nothing grabbed me so much that I said to DH, "let's look at the schedule to make sure we see more of this person (or group)".

I liked Linda Capewell's voice, and I enjoyed the energy and synergy of The Free Label, Spectrum, and The Badness Duo. DJ and Sax, and Rafael Nannetti played pleasant background music, but I never made it to their late night shows, at which they may have had a different playlist. With one thing and another, we never made it much past the entrance to The Club. I regret having missed a few of the music events there, but the timing didn't work out. Overall, I found the live music enjoyable, but not compelling. 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1