Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Silkroad

Our life on the Edge, 28 April 2019 TA, some photos & video

Recommended Posts

After our cabin crawl,  I believe we fortified ourselves with something containing double shots of espresso before heading to the Captain's Club Paradise in Eden. At this event, we met the Captain and senior officers once more, while listening to lovely live music & sipping cocktails & canapes. Eden is truly a gorgeous space, and the Celebrity Theater Band (who usually perform at these events) are fantastic musicians. I'd love to see them have a chance each cruise to play their own music choices!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention that, by day 2, we'd encountered several congenial fellow passengers & crew whom we'd met on previous cruises. This made an already wonderful cruise even better. 

 

Interleaved with any activities I mention, realize that each day typically included espresso breaks at Cafe al Bacio and Il Secondo Bacio, breakfast and lunch at the OVC, cocktails somewhere, stops to listen to live music, walks on the excellent track, and art & exploration walks all over the ship. I think I remember sleeping, but I'm not sure how we managed to fit it in🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems you are keeping very  happily busy...glad to hear it !

 

Any spa plans?

 

I saw they had the Pamper Party in Fine Cut..When I went it was in a conf room..SRO.     It was a hoot.  If they offer it again  you might want to try it...No charge, free samples... a fairly soft sell on products!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

DH and I were quite taken with this forward facing Ocean View. It really was lovely.

Thanks for the pictures! Do you happen to have the cabin number? Do you know if they had any noise from the crew hangout under the helipad late at night? The one person who has done a review on the cabin sticky had to switch cabins because of the noise. Maybe they nixed the late night parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

 We were most looking forward to seeing a Sunset Veranda, because we have one booked for the Greek Isles next year😎😎 

Michelle, do you know the cabin number? I am keeping a file of SV balcony pictures to try to see which ones are bigger (the info says the average is 89 sq ft, so I am assuming some are bigger than others. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the pictures! Do you happen to have the cabin number? Do you know if they had any noise from the crew hangout under the helipad late at night? The one person who has done a review on the cabin sticky had to switch cabins because of the noise. Maybe they nixed the late night parties.

 

It was cabin 9100. They didn't mention any issues & seemed to love their cabin.

 

Did you happen to see Prish's question about connecting SV balconies? Post #49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks😊 This is only my second CC review, and it's taking me much longer than I had hoped. Oh well, I imagine everyone will understand that I'm writing this while still catching up on the usual tasks at home & work.

 

It did indeed feel longer than a regular IV, and I believe the cabin dimensions published by X bear that out. I tried to get a photograph while standing at the veranda door, facing the bed, but I couldn't get a good shot around the other people. There was definitely more space between the bed and the veranda door than there was in the IV cabins.

 

Your cruise is later this year, right? I hope you'll post some photos of it, and let us know how your liked it😊

You are doing great! The slower pace lets us savor everything! 🙂

 

The SV is longer than the IV. When we did our cabin crawl, we noticed that there was more distance between the couch and door. I didn't measure since there were 12 people in there, but a couple of us noticed the difference in length.

 

I found a picture - see how the chair fits between the couch and door? That wouldn't be possible with the IV.

 

image.png.d0bdab787c91013fa36dc543709f5c6b.png

Edited by vtcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Michelle, do you know the cabin number? I am keeping a file of SV balcony pictures to try to see which ones are bigger (the info says the average is 89 sq ft, so I am assuming some are bigger than others. 🙂

It was 8314. When I have a few free minutes, I'm going to try to email the occupants to ask if they happened to get a good photograph of the entire cabin. If so, maybe they'd be willing to post it here or email it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Which SVs will you have? Some do open up, but I'm not sure which they are. There are firewalls between the center two SVs and the other SVs to either side of them, and I'm not sure those can connect to adjacent verandas. 

We were in a corner aft Sky 1 Suite, and the balcony partition between our suite and the SV next to us could be opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

 

It was cabin 9100. They didn't mention any issues & seemed to love their cabin.

 

Did you happen to see Prish's question about connecting SV balconies? Post #49

Thanks! So far from reviews, someone mentioned that 10273 and 10280  did not connect (the two center ones), so maybe all of the center ones do not connect to each other, but it looks like the others connect on one side at least. If he posts the numbers, I will try to find out. I have some pictures of the build where the connections are open so the workers can move from cabin to cabin by the balconies.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We were in a corner aft Sky 1 Suite, and the balcony partition between our suite and the SV next to us could be opened.

It looks like all of the corner aft S1 balconies can connect to the SV next door. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

It was 8314. When I have a few free minutes, I'm going to try to email the occupants to ask if they happened to get a good photograph of the entire cabin. If so, maybe they'd be willing to post it here or email it to me.

That would be great! I posted a picture of one with bed by bath above that I think shows that increased length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

DH and I have just had lovely, long walk in the park near our home, and I'm ready to finish day 2🙂 

 

Early on, we had purchased a three-night specialty restaurant package, as had our four friends. One couple had booked a Sky Suite, so she tried to book our dinner reservations ahead of time. Had we all used the same TA, it would have been simple for the TA to link our reservations. Since we hadn't, linking reservations was impossible. Several times, our friend thought she had our specialty dining sorted, but alas, it wasn't. Having had this experience on a previous cruise, she checked our reservations immediately after boarding, and finally got it sorted (though we had to dine in one restaurant on a different night than we had planned). I mention this because I know many people want to dine with groups of friends or family, so just realize you should check your specialty restaurant bookings (or make them) immediately after boarding, especially if specific times are important to you. One of our party needed to dine early, so all our specialty restaurant bookings were at 6:00 or 6:15.

 

We had booked the Rooftop Garden Grill on night 2, because we were aware of the lack of shade & wind shielding (such as that found at The Porch or The Lawn Club Grill on Reflection & Silhouette) and hoped to have the best experience while we were closer to FL. Unfortunately, the wind rose during the afternoon. Imagine our surprise when we approached the restaurant to find our friends (and the occupants of the other tables) wrapped in woolly plaid blankets😂 They had managed to get one of the most protected tables, so DH & I weren't cold enough to use our blankets until late in our meal.

 

The service was excellent, and the staff really tried to reduce the effects of the the design flaws of their otherwise lovely restaurant setting. Our waiter actually recommended a specific salad (Caprese), because it was the least likely to be blown away. Our table shared all the starters. I recall chicken wings, Train Wreck Fries, and chili & thought they were very good. The pork sliders were good. We listened to the voice of experience, and ordered Caprese Salads😉 When I say "we" liked or didn't like something, I'm referring to DH and myself. Our friends had different opinions about parts of our meal. My main was a half rack of ribs (wet), and DH had the Brisket. My ribs were very good. I was cool enough to wrap my woolly blanket around my waist by then, but nothing short of a blizzard is going to make this girl impede the use of her arms when working on some ribs😜 Neither of us recall dessert, but I'm sure we had something. Despite having ordered half the number of starters suggested by our waiter, we couldn't finish everything. It was very similar the the LCG in that regard. Unless Celebrity installs wind shielding, DH and I would not book this restaurant again on a TA or cool weather itinerary. There are plans to install an awning. If that appears adequate, we may try RTG Grill during our Greek Isles cruise next year.

Edited by Silkroad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hcat said:

Seems you are keeping very  happily busy...glad to hear it !

 

Any spa plans?

 

I saw they had the Pamper Party in Fine Cut..When I went it was in a conf room..SRO.     It was a hoot.  If they offer it again  you might want to try it...No charge, free samples... a fairly soft sell on products!

We did manage to keep busy. We had fifteen days, several of them sea days, and still didn't manage to experience everything. I'm still in awe of Marilyn's ability to post all those live reviews on her first few Edge cruises. She's amazing!

 

We weren't Aqua, and only walked through that area on one occasion. I may check it out on our Greek Isles cruise, because we'll have more OBC to play with😀 Thanks for the tip about the Pamper Party. I'll look for it next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Which SVs will you have? Some do open up, but I'm not sure which they are. There are firewalls between the center two SVs and the other SVs to either side of them, and I'm not sure those can connect to adjacent verandas. 

 

We have three SVs on deck 8, #8321, 8323 & 8314, the ones on the higher decks were all booked. I think two of our cabins are the middle ones, am on my phone right now and don’t have the deck plan. 

 

We usually like to open up the partitions so that we have one long verandah, always book hump cabins and enjoy family time outside in the evenings. But we’ll be happy with the SVs even if they don’t open up, at least we’ll have an actual verandah 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We weren't interested in the show that night, but it was still early, so we explored the ship, stopping for art, espresso, music, and cocktails along the way😊😊

 

 

20190429_211446.jpg

20190429_212009.jpg

20190429_211722.jpg

20190429_211449.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We were both fascinated by the beautiful clock & pendulum you'll see in my previous post. Note the cool "Dalek chairs" in the background (so named because they remind some of us of the Daleks). These chairs are similar to the ones that have inspired so much chatter on the M class Revolution threads. Some (like me) think they look interesting and fun, while others loathe them. They have been described as heavy and difficult to move. We sat in these, but didn't try to move them.

 

The metal segment is part of the wall that was left unfinished, to show the notations of the welders, a bit of the "birth" story of Edge. Besides being of great interest to geeks like DH and myself, it was eerily beautiful.

Edited by Silkroad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We explored every piece of art accessible to us (we had no access to suite areas or Blu). By this, I mean that we walked every passenger deck, and gazed at every piece of art on every wall, multiple times. As you walk the hallway in which your cabin is located, you may notice that each deck, or deck segment, has a theme. On one deck, it may be 60's photos. On another, it may be photos taken in India. I had intended to take more photos of my favorites, but never did. Attached are a couple I returned to again and again. The woman was located on the wall in one of the stairwells (on an upper deck, I think). The other photo was on one of the passenger decks, deck 11 or 12, I think. Each time I stopped in front of these photos, I noticed something new and beautiful. 

20190429_221638.jpg

20190429_223303.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, prish said:

 

We have three SVs on deck 8, #8321, 8323 & 8314, the ones on the higher decks were all booked. I think two of our cabins are the middle ones, am on my phone right now and don’t have the deck plan. 

 

We usually like to open up the partitions so that we have one long verandah, always book hump cabins and enjoy family time outside in the evenings. But we’ll be happy with the SVs even if they don’t open up, at least we’ll have an actual verandah 😃

Yes, I'm looking at the deck plan. You have the two middle ones, flanked by firewalls. The third cabin is toward the port side of 8323's firewall. The SV cabin photos I posted were from 8314. I'm sure I saw some discussion about which SV balconies could be opened up, but I can't recall where I saw it. I'll have another look for the info. Meanwhile, please let us know what Celebrity says. Good luck🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure this will work, but here goes....you can see two of your cabins in the middle, and 8321 to port of 8323's firewall. That small black box means 8323 has a sofa bed. I snipped this from Celebrity's Edge deck plans, published on their web site. 

Deck8.JPG

Edited by Silkroad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Not sure this will work, but here goes....you can see two of your cabins in the middle, and 8321 to port of 8323's firewall. That small black box means 8323 has a sofa bed. I snipped this from Celebrity's Edge deck plans, published on their web site. 

Deck8.JPG

 

Thanks a ton Silkroad, you’re just amazing!  As I thought these are the middle cabins, not sure the verandahs will open up. But we’ll be happy to sit out and watch the wake...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, prish said:

 

Thanks a ton Silkroad, you’re just amazing!  As I thought these are the middle cabins, not sure the verandahs will open up. But we’ll be happy to sit out and watch the wake...

You’re quite welcome😊 I’m trying to find out if 8314 opens up. I’ll keep you posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

We were both fascinated by the beautiful clock & pendulum you'll see in my previous post.

I'm so glad you liked the pendulum. I really liked that stairway and pendulum. It is rarely discussed on here. Maybe it's one of those things you have to see. It fascinated me and I found it a lovely place to sit and relax. Again, I wonder what surprises the Apex will have in store for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...