Really?!

stevens397

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, Son of a son of a ... said:

I think telling a customer "too bad" is terrible customer service, especially with a suite customer.  NCL has a disconnect between landbased customer service and onboard customer service.  The 1-800 customer service forgets that NCL is in the hospitality industry.  This is a high value customer and they are going to lose him/her over excursion credit and WiFi?  Heck, they were just giving extra excursion credit away as a perk.  Now, OP is going on a cruise with a bad taste in their mouth and an intention to bolt from NCL after the cruise.  The hotel director must love that passengers are PO'd before even entering the suite.

I fully agree with you on this.  I posted our situation above and now our group's  "bucket list" cruise has become very negative.  Ten of us will be boarding having already had a less than quality situation with the PCC.  And that is every couple in our group.  I am going to remind everyone in our group that our PCC is not the whole cruise line. 

On 5/15/2019 at 6:54 PM, Son of a son of a ... said:

NCL customer service stinks

Whether a cruise line, bank or any other large company Customer service reps do not make their own determination on how to remedy any issues. There have to abide by the strict guidelines set forth from the company.  No sense shooting the messenger just because they were unable to help.

14 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Right now I am working with an NCL representative with a group.  It has been a nightmare.  We had a "group" way back in September and I had asked about additional amenities.  I was told we would get certain things but not others.  Long story short we get to final payment and supposedly don't even have the group much less any of the perks.  The rep tells me all the hard work he did to get us the group.  Now the other items that were to be included are not. Also, our original booking is cancelled and our gratuities on the UBP are increased even though the bookings were in July 2018.  He has told me he will look into it.

He hardly answers phone calls and never emails - except the first ones getting us to book.  Members of our group have had so many problems.  I think it is time to write corporate, if this rep doesn't come through next week.  I have copies of emails and phone records of the numerous calls. 

I have been on Carnival, Princess and RCI.  I can say this is the absolute worst service I have ever had. 

It does not sound like the lead booked through the Group Sales Department.  A group is a minimum of 5 cabins and 10 passengers. If the group falls under that at any point, you don’t qualify for the group perks. 

It sounds like the reservation has been changed several times since it was originally made. Changes equate to a cancel and rebook. Each time you do that, you get the promotions in effect at the time of the rebooking (which is the problem the OP had). Because you are dealing directly with NCL vs a travel agent, anyone calling to muck with the reservation could screw it up for all. 

It comes down to the group lead having control over the reservation and understanding the consequences of every call they make to change that reservation. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Whether a cruise line, bank or any other large company Customer service reps do not make their own determination on how to remedy any issues. There have to abide by the strict guidelines set forth from the company.  No sense shooting the messenger just because they were unable to help.

The inability to remedy problems, whether through incompetence or directive, is asinine in contemporary customer service.  The competition in the cruise industry continues to increase and these micro-dissatisfaction encounters with customer service are going to work against NCL.  However, NCL continues to have a larger customer service problem with deeply discounting cabins in the week before sailing in some markets.  

54 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It does not sound like the lead booked through the Group Sales Department.  A group is a minimum of 5 cabins and 10 passengers. If the group falls under that at any point, you don’t qualify for the group perks. 

It sounds like the reservation has been changed several times since it was originally made. Changes equate to a cancel and rebook. Each time you do that, you get the promotions in effect at the time of the rebooking (which is the problem the OP had). Because you are dealing directly with NCL vs a travel agent, anyone calling to muck with the reservation could screw it up for all. 

It comes down to the group lead having control over the reservation and understanding the consequences of every call they make to change that reservation. 

I am the lead and no I did not book originally with the group department.  It was going to be two couples until we talked to friends and they all wanted to go.  There have been no changes since the 5th couple, making 10 booked in early September.  I have an email telling me he can give me a group for 10 people and 5 cabins.  Also emails where I ask about the group to which he never responded.  

The PCC just yesterday tried telling me he called in November or December to tell me we didn't have a group.  I told him I had no calls from him.  It has been one story after another.  He doesn't like to use email is what he recently told me.  All I can say is that it has been frustrating and if there is no action I will contact someone over him. 

5 minutes ago, Notnewtoit said:

It's the rule, it is reported in 10,000 posts here and is actually logical (cancel is cancel, book is book). Sorry you feel burned but caveat emptor, it is no secret.

Apparently you are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I am.  Cancel was not only never mentioned but my confirmation number remained the same.  I would assume if it was cancelled and rebooked, the confirmation number would have changed.  Doesn't that at least sound reasonable?

17 minutes ago, stevens397 said:

Apparently you are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I am.  Cancel was not only never mentioned but my confirmation number remained the same.  I would assume if it was cancelled and rebooked, the confirmation number would have changed.  Doesn't that at least sound reasonable?

It does sound reasonable on the face of it but the conf# actually also relates to shore excursions et-al, it is possible to cancel ones cabin booking and be rebooked into a new cabin and have any shore excursions (and even dining reservations) remain in place by virtue of the unchanged confirmation.

It know it hurts but this is also a two way street, many many people 'rebook' in order to take advantage of a price drop, in either their existing cabin or a superior cabin... and the rub is ALWAYS "I'm going to lose my original perks". I've personally even given up a $500 OBC to take an $800 OS cabin saving. 

My post was less intended to monumentally p*ss you off and more to underline that this isn't NCL doing anything out of the ordinary, they are still a great cruise line, you're going to have an even nicer cabin and not being aware of a rule doesn't make them bad per sae. Go have a great time and chalk it up to "i'll know for next time".

Meanwhile... watch out for price drops!

Edited by Notnewtoit

5 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

I am the lead and no I did not book originally with the group department.  It was going to be two couples until we talked to friends and they all wanted to go.  There have been no changes since the 5th couple, making 10 booked in early September.  I have an email telling me he can give me a group for 10 people and 5 cabins.  Also emails where I ask about the group to which he never responded.  

The PCC just yesterday tried telling me he called in November or December to tell me we didn't have a group.  I told him I had no calls from him.  It has been one story after another.  He doesn't like to use email is what he recently told me.  All I can say is that it has been frustrating and if there is no action I will contact someone over him. 

Sounds like your PCC is a loser, but the fact still remains you did not book through a  group so it is unlikely you would get any group amenities.  The whole thing is a combination of errors it sounds like. In order to have gotten your perks you would have needed to switch the booking over to a group. He should have told you this. 

3 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Sounds like your PCC is a loser, but the fact still remains you did not book through a  group so it is unlikely you would get any group amenities.  The whole thing is a combination of errors it sounds like. In order to have gotten your perks you would have needed to switch the booking over to a group. He should have told you this. 

I agree, but I do know he is authorized to set up groups by some information for others he sent me in error.  This is my first cruise with NCL and this rep is the one who made the errors.  As an individual how else are we supposed to know but through their staff.   The group came up in an email prior to any of us booking and he said he could setup a group for every 5 cabins / 10 passengers.  

12 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

I agree, but I do know he is authorized to set up groups by some information for others he sent me in error.  This is my first cruise with NCL and this rep is the one who made the errors.  As an individual how else are we supposed to know but through their staff.   The group came up in an email prior to any of us booking and he said he could setup a group for every 5 cabins / 10 passengers.  

Would have been nice to have a Good TA handle this group to begin with instead of this NCL employee ..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Would have been nice to have a Good TA handle this group to begin with instead of this NCL employee ..

Done many trips with many groups and never ever had an issue until NCL and have always done fine.  Just sayin'

9 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Done many trips with many groups and never ever had an issue until NCL and have always done fine.  Just sayin'

I am glad to hear in the past you have handled your own group bookings but I also know, from experience there is a reason for a groups department. Even as a retired TA agent and watching our own agent handle groups, they are not easy, especially when you change course after the change course somewhere along the way. Now, it is time to forget the bad experience, nothing can be done and go on your cruise; have fun and good luck!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Getting back to the OP's problem NCL has been running the same promos it seems forever so even if it was rebooked they should have gotten all the promos.

Original booking had $50 excursion credit per port PER PERSON plus 250 internet access per person.  Those two are worth $450. But if you read the thread, you can see that they agreed to reinstatethat which they took away AND they gave me a $450 credit (totally unexpected) as they said the price went down.  It was maddening but glad I spoke up.  And from reading the rest of the posts in this thread, seems they are not usually that responsive.

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Getting back to the OP's problem NCL has been running the same promos it seems forever so even if it was rebooked they should have gotten all the promos.

this is true, but in this case, if I understood the concern it had to do with special amenities that go with a group booking. This is very different from promos. I also will add, no regardless to how long most of these promos have been running, there are changes from time to time. 

1 hour ago, stevens397 said:

Original booking had $50 excursion credit per port PER PERSON plus 250 internet access per person.  Those two are worth $450. But if you read the thread, you can see that they agreed to reinstatethat which they took away AND they gave me a $450 credit (totally unexpected) as they said the price went down.  It was maddening but glad I spoke up.  And from reading the rest of the posts in this thread, seems they are not usually that responsive.

I went back over this thread twice and cannot find where you resolved this but am happy for you and hope you enjoy the cruise 

4 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I went back over this thread twice and cannot find where you resolved this but am happy for you and hope you enjoy the cruise 

You're right - apparently the posting disappeared but I promise it was there.  I mentioned the travel agent so it was probably removed.

The gist of the post was that after 45 minutes on the phone with NCL - most on hold - they told me that they hold told the agent that the deal would change. She swore it never happened, spoke to the original NCL agent who confirmed it and they made it up to her and to me. She was really fuming.   I think the basics were that as a client, they couldn't care less how I felt  but they were reticent to make a travel agent from one of their major booking agencies look bad so they capitulated.  Whatever - worked for me.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, stevens397 said:

The first trip we reserved the Owners Suite and this trip the Penthouse Suite.  We have given a lot of money to NCL.   

Glad things were resolved.  But as I re-read this thread, this stuck out at me, and is a continued irritant.  Since CC is indexed by Google, maybe this will help others in the future:

You did not give a lot of money to NCL.   You purchased a high-value item from NCL, for a going rate.    That in no way makes you a VIP, or a whale, or a loyal customer, or anybody else who might warrant a little wheel-bending.

Buying luxury items / services are larger transactions, certainly,  but they incur costs for the provider over & above the lower-priced items.   

Just because I have a Lexus now doesn't mean I'm a high roller in Lexus' mind...I'm just another average Lexus owner.   All of their customers are.

Stephen

On 5/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, Son of a son of a ... said:

NCL has a disconnect between landbased customer service and onboard customer service.  The 1-800 customer service forgets that NCL is in the hospitality industry.  

That's a hospitality issue in general. If at all possible, you try to handle your complaints on the ship/at the front desk/check-in counter/etc when something goes wrong. Believe it or not, often times the employee you speak to face to face has much broader latitude over what they can offer than their counterpart in the call center, who has a sheet with the lyrics to "50 Ways to Tell Them No" on it. The people on the ship are there to make sure you have a good time. The people in the call center (quadruplely true when the person isn't at least a supervisor) are there to inform you of the contract you agreed to the second you entered your credit card info and hit the reserve button, which 100% of the time entitles you to nothing.

That said, if the situation arises where you have to call the customer service line, wait for the no, then politely ask for their supervisor who is allowed to do more.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, stevens397 said:

I'm glad they stepped up for you.  Someone asked earlier about your ports in Norway.  We did private excursions in Norway and saved a TON of money over the NCL ones.  So you may find that $450 credit works out much better than the per port $50 that you don't get if you don't book an excursion through them.  Hope you have an amazing trip.  Norway is still our favorite cruise!

Hmmm I called yesterday as I wanted to add a cabin for my son & his friend. They told me about the air promo, which in my case being as we are on a TA and need only one way fare back from London thought it would be beneficial, being as they are in an inside cabin the air promo didn't apply but I asked about my mini suite cabin I had booked two weeks ago, she added the free air on for my daughter and myself and I didn't lose anything I had.

I also took the one way fare from London at $399pp for son and his friend. Maybe it was because I wasn't cancelling and rebooking, of which I would not do as my mini is now $400 PP more then when I booked.

47 minutes ago, njkate said:

Hmmm I called yesterday as I wanted to add a cabin for my son & his friend. They told me about the air promo, which in my case being as we are on a TA and need only one way fare back from London thought it would be beneficial, being as they are in an inside cabin the air promo didn't apply but I asked about my mini suite cabin I had booked two weeks ago, she added the free air on for my daughter and myself and I didn't lose anything I had.

I also took the one way fare from London at $399pp for son and his friend. Maybe it was because I wasn't cancelling and rebooking, of which I would not do as my mini is now $400 PP more then when I booked.

I think you are right about the cancelling and re-booking and  it makes sense. Our experience yesterday with our TA was similar with a positive outome. She did re-book us because we are now taking the NCL air promo. We did have to give up our cabin but are on the same deck just a bit further from the elevators but, because this was considered a new booking we got added perks.