Change in Mariner Status

ORCRUISER

I’m 5 days short of 4 Star. We booked a 30 day cruise directly with HAL. I mentioned this and our PCC said he would check to see if we could be moved to 4 Star during the cruise.  Does anyone have experience with this?

29 minutes ago, jwh said:

How do i find out what Mariner status i am.  Quite a number of years between HAL cruises and have forgotten.

No, you will not be 4 Star mid-cruise. We attained it during the middle of our last voyage, and until your trip is logged in your account after the end of your voyage, you will be at the lesser level. Make sure you check your account that you have been credited the correct amount of days--they have intermittent problems in getting the credit right sometimes.

Technically you need to wait until after your cruise is complete.  However, there have been reports of some people getting moved up mid-cruise by the ship's front desk, when the number of days needed (5 in this case) is less than the length of the current cruise (30).  Give it a try - you might be surprised!

I'm one-day short of becoming a four-star mariner.  With being so close to the four star threshold, I thought it would be prudent to check with the Mariner Society to determine if my status would change during my next planned cruise.  Alas, the answer was, "No!"  To paraphrase the explanation given, I was told "...that a rule is a rule."

19 minutes ago, GlennG said:

I'm one-day short of becoming a four-star mariner.  With being so close to the four star threshold, I thought it would be prudent to check with the Mariner Society to determine if my status would change during my next planned cruise.  Alas, the answer was, "No!"  To paraphrase the explanation given, I was told "...that a rule is a rule."

On HAL, not every ship abides by the same "rules" and home office often does not know what is actually happening onboard, so I would try the front desk anyway to see up getting your 4 Star.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwh said:

How do i find out what Mariner status i am.  Quite a number of years between HAL cruises and have forgotten.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

... and then choose My Mariner Status

OP: if your cruise is also sold in shorter segments you have a good chance of getting upgraded at the start of the second segment.

Edited by catl331

5 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

You only get a mid-voyage promotion on Grand Voyages. I was promoted from four to five star on the Grand Asia in 2017, on a specific day,. Still, you can ask.

My DH and I were on from Hong Kong to San Diego on the Grand Asia 2017.

I just came back from B2B cruises, and my sailing days are credited correctly, but spending shows 0 for both cruises.  When will that update?

Roz

9 minutes ago, Roz said:

I just came back from B2B cruises, and my sailing days are credited correctly, but spending shows 0 for both cruises.  When will that update?

Roz

Mine have always come at the same time as the sailing days, but both within 2 weeks.

We were upgraded 30 days into Tales of the South Pacific, a 48 night itinerary.  I was very surprised.  We got a letter to come tot he front desk for new cards.  I hadn't even inquired.  So it can happen, and if it does it's a nice surprise.  We were able to buy a more discounted wine package for the last 2 weeks, the best perk for us at 4 stars.  m--

3 hours ago, GlennG said:

"Close" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.....

The cruise I became four star on was the first segment of the Grand South America, but it was with no points to spare so it was not  awarded mid-voyage. When I saw no sign of it being credited weeks after I got off, and with another cruise upcoming I wanted to be four star for, I emailed the Mariner Society. It seems the points were not to be applied until the Grand South America finished, which was the day I was leaving on my next cruise. I offered to send them the statements showing my spending, since I needed those points for four star, but they took my word for it and made me four star even though my account didn't show 200 points yet.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GlennG said:

Have you considered taking a really short cruise to get your promotion before your next planned cruise? For example, the 1-Day Pacific Coastal Vancouver to Seattle has inside cabins for $77 CAD for a June sailing. Other dates or the reverse direction are slightly over $100. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ORCRUISER said:

I’m 5 days short of 4 Star. We booked a 30 day cruise directly with HAL. I mentioned this and our PCC said he would check to see if we could be moved to 4 Star during the cruise.  Does anyone have experience with this?

There's also a 5-Day Pacific Coastal for $524 CAD that would guarantee your promotion if you feel that the extra perks for your 30 day cruise are worth the extra time and money needed to top up your days.

Didn’t happen for us! We were on Nieuw Amsterdam 24 day Med cruise with the inaugural with only 2 cruise days left to be a 4 star in 2010, and what we received were our pins and a nice congratulations card, also letting us know on our next cruise we can enjoy all the benefits!

Denise😊

• Like 1

My take on this.

The rule as stated since the "Star" program started is that you get the benefits of the new level on the cruise after you earn enough credit days.

The practice, like everything on the ships, differs from what Seattle says and also differs ship to ship and attendant to attendant. To the people at the front desk, it is no big deal to advance someone to 4*. In their attempt to try to make the guest happy, they do it. Then the happy guest goes on Cruise Critics and tells everyone about it, and it becomes expected.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz

Number of days onboard gets credited fairly quickly within 10 days or so.  In my experience, they wait to credit the spending after the credit card bill is paid; sometimes this takes as long as three weeks.  We have the HAL credit card, so that may have something to do with it.  If cash is used for onboard spending, they post the credit for onboard purchases the same day as the # of cruise days.  Anyone else have a different experience? 

Edited by sevenseasnomad