Live 18/5/2019 Indy's back in Europe

I've just been up to look at the stand up session on the Flowrider and there are 5 people there, 3 'serious' riders in wetsuits and a father and son who looked like they were just trying it out. No one else around up there.

We're  off into town shortly.

• Thanks 1

Back on board after a lovely time. Oslo is a gorgeous city, not at all what I expected, lots of green spaces and flowers everywhere. All very walkable from the ship. The ice bar was fun too.

IMG_20190522_101104.jpg

IMG_20190522_115731.jpg

IMG_20190522_104522.jpg

• Like 2

The food in the MDR has been excellent, the best we've had on Royal for several years. All of the starters and mains have been great, desserts have been OK (I never think Royal desserts taste as good as they look). The Beef Wellington has been my favourite so far, tonight is duck which is something I always choose.

We're not big buffet fans so have only been to Windjammer a couple of times in the day and it's similar to usual.We haven't been to any of the speciality restaurants this cruise, we did a 3 night package last cruise on Jewel and I honestly think the MDR food on here has compared well to them.

We also have a really good waiter on here, it's  his first cruise where he has been promoted from assistant to main waiter and his service is great.

• Like 4

I am really enjoying your review.  I will be on the Indy on June 1st with friends and look forward to being back in Europe.  It saddens me to hear about people taking their tips off.  Perhaps I'll just prepay to get that out of the way.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I am really enjoying your review.  I will be on the Indy on June 1st with friends and look forward to being back in Europe.  It saddens me to hear about people taking their tips off.  Perhaps I'll just prepay to get that out of the way.  

I'm sure you will enjoy it, the ship is in great shape.

Mark went down to guest services about an hour ago and said he heard yet more people removing tips, I feel so bad for the staff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kernow said:

I'm sure you will enjoy it, the ship is in great shape.

Mark went down to guest services about an hour ago and said he heard yet more people removing tips, I feel so bad for the staff.

Your review has been excellent and you both seem to be having a wonderful time.

We get on Saturday for the 3 nighter so have followed with great interest.

I agree with you about the number of people removing their tips is disgusting and totally disrespectful to the crew.

This is why P&O have went gratuities included because of the sheer number who Were removing autogratuities on their ships from Southampton.

Edited by grapau27

We've just been to the top tier party in Studio B. We don't always go but it was worth going to if you like the ice shows as they had quite a long section of the Freeze Frame show that is only performed on the longer cruises.

Top cruiser was a Canadian guy with  2460 (or something like that) points.

I was really surprised to hear the Hotel Director  say that they hold the party in Studio B on Southampton  cruises as there are more top tier guests than in the US.

• Like 1

I am loving your trip report. Thanks so much for taking time out of your holiday to update us, it really is getting me into the holiday spirit.

am saddened to read about the tipping issue you mentioned. As I previously said this is our first cruise. However, we normally holiday in Florida so we are used to tipping for services. We decided to pre pay our tips, and I am so glad we did. I assume that the servers and staff are aware that we have pre paid, I guess when we order a drink they just scan your sea pass?

18 minutes ago, Micnvic said:

I am loving your trip report. Thanks so much for taking time out of your holiday to update us, it really is getting me into the holiday spirit.

am saddened to read about the tipping issue you mentioned. As I previously said this is our first cruise. However, we normally holiday in Florida so we are used to tipping for services. We decided to pre pay our tips, and I am so glad we did. I assume that the servers and staff are aware that we have pre paid, I guess when we order a drink they just scan your sea pass?

They just scan your sea pass anyway - if you have the drinks package then great, if not then the drink will be added to your bill, plus 18% gratuity as far as I’m aware.

1 minute ago, shopaholic6 said:

They just scan your sea pass anyway - if you have the drinks package then great, if not then the drink will be added to your bill, plus 18% gratuity as far as I’m aware.

Many thanks for that. Full drinks package and gratuity all pre paid. 

2 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

Fantastic - the drinks package already includes the 18% and is well worth it I think! 😊

I have found it all fairly confusing. But after cancelling the drinks package several times and re adding it in the sales I think we have done fairly well. For me it is a huge weight off my mind to know that everything has been paid for when I step on board, i can fully relax

16 minutes ago, Micnvic said:

I have found it all fairly confusing. But after cancelling the drinks package several times and re adding it in the sales I think we have done fairly well. For me it is a huge weight off my mind to know that everything has been paid for when I step on board, i can fully relax

Hope you have a great cruise - I’m sure you’ll come back addicted like all of us on here! 😊😊

• Like 2

On 5/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, kernow said:

Boarding opened at 10.45 and we were straight on

Thought we had made a mistake and boarded a Celebrity ship when we saw they were giving out free sparkling wine!

20190518_113118.jpg

We were on Celebrity a couple of weeks ago and the girl even looks like the one on Celebrity. I don't think I have ever seen Royal hand out sparkling wine. Is this a European thing?

• Like 1

Thanks again for this great report. If you get a chance could you post a picture of some of the drinks menu’s please?  In particular the Martini list.  Many thanks.  

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

We were on Celebrity a couple of weeks ago and the girl even looks like the one on Celebrity. I don't think I have ever seen Royal hand out sparkling wine. Is this a European thing?

I've not seen this on Royal before either, perhaps someone will post from the next cruise if they do it again.

2 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

On Indy the prices shown on the menu already include the gratuity, this is just for cruises from Southampton for the UK market.

9 minutes ago, jaz33 said:

Thanks again for this great report. If you get a chance could you post a picture of some of the drinks menu’s please?  In particular the Martini list.  Many thanks.  

I'll have a look for you tomorrow.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kernow said:

I've not seen this on Royal before either, perhaps someone will post from the next cruise if they do it again.

I’ve got bubbles quite a few times when we have boarded: Navigator last October, Explorer last week... seems to becoming standard! 

The top cruiser you mention I think is my friend, he’s actually English but has lived in Canada 🇨🇦 for years! 

7 hours ago, kernow said:

On Indy the prices shown on the menu already include the gratuity, this is just for cruises from Southampton for the UK market.

Ah I see - I did wonder after reading some of the other comments! Thank you for putting me straight! 😊