Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kernow

Live 18/5/2019 Indy's back in Europe

Recommended Posts

This morning we got off around 8 after a quiet breakfast in the D lounge. I was woken at 6.20 by the call for the self assisted departures, so you can get off early in Southampton if you need to.

 

Just a few final thoughts, as you could probably tell we had a lovely time as we always do. 

The food on this cruise was excellent, I can't remember when we last had MDR food as good on RCL and it was certainly better than our 2017 Celebrity food also. 

The ship is in great shape, admittedly we are not the type of people who go around looking for things to be wrong but I can't remember seeing anything all week that I thought needed attention.

The staff as always were great, friendly and helpful.

The shows that we saw were very enjoyable and we liked Mark as cruise director.

 

I have only a couple of slight negatives (although they certainly didn't spoil our cruise). I thought they could have done with more bartenders all over the ship. So many times there were not enough people to serve the tables and we had to go up to the bar to get drinks. This even happened in the D lounge and overflow which we've never had before.

The other thing was that the ship felt very crowded much of the time. The promenade was packed and it was often difficult to find a seat in the bars even during the day (I know this was partly due to the weather on sea days). It was unusually hard to find a quiet spot at times. This was our first time on a Freedom class ship since they have added the extra cabins and I wonder if it has something to do with it.

 

One last thing, RCL UK if you are still reading this,  please will you seriously consider including mandatory tips in UK cruise prices. Your wonderful staff work so hard and do not deserve to lose out as they must be doing now.

 

Happy cruising everyone,

 

Julie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kernow said:

This morning we got off around 8 after a quiet breakfast in the D lounge. I was woken at 6.20 by the call for the self assisted departures, so you can get off early in Southampton if you need to.

 

Just a few final thoughts, as you could probably tell we had a lovely time as we always do. 

The food on this cruise was excellent, I can't remember when we last had MDR food as good on RCL and it was certainly better than our 2017 Celebrity food also. 

The ship is in great shape, admittedly we are not the type of people who go around looking for things to be wrong but I can't remember seeing anything all week that I thought needed attention.

The staff as always were great, friendly and helpful.

The shows that we saw were very enjoyable and we liked Mark as cruise director.

 

I have only a couple of slight negatives (although they certainly didn't spoil our cruise). I thought they could have done with more bartenders all over the ship. So many times there were not enough people to serve the tables and we had to go up to the bar to get drinks. This even happened in the D lounge and overflow which we've never had before.

The other thing was that the ship felt very crowded much of the time. The promenade was packed and it was often difficult to find a seat in the bars even during the day (I know this was partly due to the weather on sea days). It was unusually hard to find a quiet spot at times. This was our first time on a Freedom class ship since they have added the extra cabins and I wonder if it has something to do with it.

 

One last thing, RCL UK if you are still reading this,  please will you seriously consider including mandatory tips in UK cruise prices. Your wonderful staff work so hard and do not deserve to lose out as they must be doing now.

 

Happy cruising everyone,

 

Julie

 

Great review Julie and safe drive home.

We are on Independence now and the free champagne was outside Sorrento's.

Our waiter was great,I ended up giving him $4 as he kept offering us more free drinks.

I and several P&O CC members emailed and spoke directly with P&O corporate regarding including tips in the price as we were disgusted with the number of Brits stopping their auto-gratituities.

P&O GS told me they were looking at it and a few months later they are now using Tips included as a selling tool like I suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kernow said:

That was us this time last week, looks like you are even at the same table! 

 

We've just arrived home and unpacked. 

 

Have a brilliant cruise

Thank you.

Pleased you got home safely too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They have put round tables in The DL now,still not great but better.

IMG_20190525_145256.jpg

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the new European breakfast menu.

Service charge $9.40 for hot breakfast.

IMG_20190525_164411.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've really enjoyed reading your review this week. So pleased you've found the food to be good. We've had good to great food on all our RCC cruises. The same cannot be said for the 2 Celebrity cruises we were recently on. The food was just about passable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, kernow said:

This morning we got off around 8 after a quiet breakfast in the D lounge. I was woken at 6.20 by the call for the self assisted departures, so you can get off early in Southampton if you need to.

 

Just a few final thoughts, as you could probably tell we had a lovely time as we always do. 

The food on this cruise was excellent, I can't remember when we last had MDR food as good on RCL and it was certainly better than our 2017 Celebrity food also. 

The ship is in great shape, admittedly we are not the type of people who go around looking for things to be wrong but I can't remember seeing anything all week that I thought needed attention.

The staff as always were great, friendly and helpful.

The shows that we saw were very enjoyable and we liked Mark as cruise director.

 

I have only a couple of slight negatives (although they certainly didn't spoil our cruise). I thought they could have done with more bartenders all over the ship. So many times there were not enough people to serve the tables and we had to go up to the bar to get drinks. This even happened in the D lounge and overflow which we've never had before.

The other thing was that the ship felt very crowded much of the time. The promenade was packed and it was often difficult to find a seat in the bars even during the day (I know this was partly due to the weather on sea days). It was unusually hard to find a quiet spot at times. This was our first time on a Freedom class ship since they have added the extra cabins and I wonder if it has something to do with it.

 

One last thing, RCL UK if you are still reading this,  please will you seriously consider including mandatory tips in UK cruise prices. Your wonderful staff work so hard and do not deserve to lose out as they must be doing now.

 

Happy cruising everyone,

 

Julie

 

Hi Julie you were right about the lack of bar waiters.

Their was only 1 waiter in the DL tonight and it was full.

I gave waiter a couple of dollars for our first drinks and it was 30 minutes before he passed us again and I had to summon him when he took order at table next to us.I gave him $2 for another 2 drinks but not impressed with DL service so will not go back in again this cruise.

Diamond drinks now don't include

Sauvignon Blanc or draught beer on Independence.

Graham.

 

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just the DL this cruise or is the VCL overflow open too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kernow said:

Is it just the DL this cruise or is the VCL overflow open too?

Just the DL open.

The DL was full last night and the VCL was empty.

There was no roaming waiters in Boleros or Champagne lounge with big queues around the bar.

MTD queue was well past the bridge at 8.15pm and not moving so we went to Giovanni's which was empty and used our D+ BOGO for 1st night and tonight.

We are going last night too as we have 50% off that night for going there every night 

IMG_20190525_205455.jpg

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about the MTD as we always do late seating traditional but the bar situation sounds just like it was on our cruise. I wonder what has happened to all the bar waiters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kernow said:

. I wonder what has happened to all the bar waiters.

When we were on Indy in January, there were not a lot of bar waiters either.  

 

Last month on Grandeur, there were lots of roaming bar waiters, both in the DL and the bars. 

 

Hopefully Indy gets a few more before we board in 7 weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kernow said:

I don't know about the MTD as we always do late seating traditional but the bar situation sounds just like it was on our cruise. I wonder what has happened to all the bar waiters.

There was one in Vintages on the Promenade but it was empty when I called in last night 

There was a couple of wine waiters handing out free champagne outside Sorrento's on embarkation day.

I didn't see any in the VCR when we left the DL so I just went to the bar.

Maybe they think Brits prefer standing at the bar instead of tipping table service.

There was a massive queue at Guest services yesterday afternoon around 3pm when we walked past so like on your cruise maybe most stopping their auto-gratituities.

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering what the men were wearing for formal night on Indy. On our past cruises my OH has taken and worn a tux but we found that in general it was very mixed with a lot just wearing suits and ties and a few just slacks and shirts. He doesn't really want to get it cleaned and take the dress shirts if it's mainly lounge suits.

TYIA. X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loveheart said:

I was wondering what the men were wearing for formal night on Indy. On our past cruises my OH has taken and worn a tux but we found that in general it was very mixed with a lot just wearing suits and ties and a few just slacks and shirts. He doesn't really want to get it cleaned and take the dress shirts if it's mainly lounge suits.

TYIA. X

I would say it was 50/50 between tux and lounge suits plus the usual few who still dress casual. I don't think he would feel out of place in a lounge suit. 

As seems to be the norm on Southampton cruises, there are a lot more people that dress up on formal nights than on most other cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kernow said:

I would say it was 50/50 between tux and lounge suits plus the usual few who still dress casual. I don't think he would feel out of place in a lounge suit. 

As seems to be the norm on Southampton cruises, there are a lot more people that dress up on formal nights than on most other cruises.

Thank you. On our Celebrity Caribbean cruise it was about 50/50. I think he will go with the lounge suit. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loveheart said:

Thank you. On our Celebrity Caribbean cruise it was about 50/50. I think he will go with the lounge suit. 🙂

It was nice to see lots of women and men dressed up last night for formal night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It was nice to see lots of women and men dressed up last night for formal night.

Oh now you've got me changing my mind. 🙂 I always dress up for formal nights as I never get the opportunity at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, loveheart said:

Oh now you've got me changing my mind. 🙂 I always dress up for formal nights as I never get the opportunity at home. 

Cruises from Southampton the formal nights are always respected with people dressed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 12:08 PM, kernow said:

I don't want to turn this into a tipping thread but I am horrified how many of our fellow passengers are openly saying that they have removed their tips. I always defend the Brits on the tipping threads but I actually feel a bit ashamed of my fellow countrymen now.

 

I did think it was a bit much to find this in the cabin last night though. We always pre pay and often add more in cash at the end but this seems like they are hoping we will make up for all those not tipping at all.

20190521_115009.jpg

Hi Julie.

Ourcabin steward left this envelope last night.

This cruise we are doing auto instead of pre- paid gratuities so didn't get your letter but have still given $75 in cash additional already.

Graham

 

IMG_20190527_185113.jpg

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got the envelope on the last night too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 1:54 PM, kernow said:

Mark has just checked and he says there is no interactive TV at all. I asked the concierge this morning about the account and she was the one who told me about the app. She said all ships will be doing it.

There is a room service menu in the room and it says to call but I'm guessing that will be on the app too. You know me, I don't do apps😀

This is the app folio,this message has been on all day.

Screenshot_20190527-191205.jpg

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, kernow said:

This morning we got off around 8 after a quiet breakfast in the D lounge. I was woken at 6.20 by the call for the self assisted departures, so you can get off early in Southampton if you need to.

 

Just a few final thoughts, as you could probably tell we had a lovely time as we always do. 

The food on this cruise was excellent, I can't remember when we last had MDR food as good on RCL and it was certainly better than our 2017 Celebrity food also. 

The ship is in great shape, admittedly we are not the type of people who go around looking for things to be wrong but I can't remember seeing anything all week that I thought needed attention.

The staff as always were great, friendly and helpful.

The shows that we saw were very enjoyable and we liked Mark as cruise director.

 

I have only a couple of slight negatives (although they certainly didn't spoil our cruise). I thought they could have done with more bartenders all over the ship. So many times there were not enough people to serve the tables and we had to go up to the bar to get drinks. This even happened in the D lounge and overflow which we've never had before.

The other thing was that the ship felt very crowded much of the time. The promenade was packed and it was often difficult to find a seat in the bars even during the day (I know this was partly due to the weather on sea days). It was unusually hard to find a quiet spot at times. This was our first time on a Freedom class ship since they have added the extra cabins and I wonder if it has something to do with it.

 

One last thing, RCL UK if you are still reading this,  please will you seriously consider including mandatory tips in UK cruise prices. Your wonderful staff work so hard and do not deserve to lose out as they must be doing now.

 

Happy cruising everyone,

 

Julie

 

Thanks for your review, much appreciated as we are sailing Independence later this summer and it’s the only Freedom class ship we haven’t sailed on. For the inexperienced joining us I think we need to make sure they get at least the classic soda package as I’ve seen evidence of RCI charging $7 for a can which is outrageous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked this question in the question section but got nor answers so will ask in here. Are they still doing the Swinging London and 60's parades and shows along Main Street. They seem to have been doing them since forever. i would love to see something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the promenade they had a 70s night, an 80s night and a Rock Britannia night. I must admit I prefer these types of event on the smaller ships where they hold them in the atrium or somewhere with a proper dance floor. On the promenade it seems half the people are there for the event and half are there to eat pizza, go to the pub etc and are not taking part so it seems to cause chaos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...