Help needed please for the 3 night dining package

Let me begin by saying that we typically cruise on Celebrity and honestly their food is pretty good.  I have taken Carnival and the food on their ships is not that good but we enjoyed the vibe on that ship.  Since we live close to Galveston I booked a trip on the Liberty of the Sea in November and need some information about how the dining package works.  I bought this 3 night dining package yesterday for 68.00 a person.  The agent said that the package has to start on either the 1st or 2nd night and that I could pick the day but they would pick the restaurant.  My husband is a very picky eater so I am rethinking this purchase.   I have several questions about how this works so here goes..

1.   If RC selects Sabor for the 1st night the agent said we could switch it to something else "if there is availability" in another restaurant.  Has anyone been able to do that or does RC limit the tables that are available on the dining packages per restaurant?

2.  My husand is a very picky eater and was wondering if we can we go to Chops all 3 of the nights or is that not possible?

3.  Is there an extra charge in Chops for surf and turf or for a filet or is that covered under the package?

4.  My husband doesn't like a long drawn out dinner, can they do it fairly quickly if we request that?

5.  Do they usually offer the 3 day dining package cheaper that 68.00 each or is that the best deal going?

6.  Last question, on Celebrity they will offer the individual dining at certain restaurants for sometimes 50% off on certain nights does RC ever do that once you are on board?

Any other advice would be helpful as well so that we can decide to keep this package or cancel it.

9 minutes ago, fedexretiree said:

Let me begin by saying that we typically cruise on Celebrity and honestly their food is pretty good.  I have taken Carnival and the food on their ships is not that good but we enjoyed the vibe on that ship.  Since we live close to Galveston I booked a trip on the Liberty of the Sea in November and need some information about how the dining package works.  I bought this 3 night dining package yesterday for 68.00 a person.  The agent said that the package has to start on either the 1st or 2nd night and that I could pick the day but they would pick the restaurant.  My husband is a very picky eater so I am rethinking this purchase.   I have several questions about how this works so here goes..

1.   If RC selects Sabor for the 1st night the agent said we could switch it to something else "if there is availability" in another restaurant.  Has anyone been able to do that or does RC limit the tables that are available on the dining packages per restaurant?

Have never had Sabor as an option.  Was always allowed to change.

2.  My husand is a very picky eater and was wondering if we can we go to Chops all 3 of the nights or is that not possible?

Not certain but I have done Chops more than once on a package.

3.  Is there an extra charge in Chops for surf and turf or for a filet or is that covered under the package?

YES

4.  My husband doesn't like a long drawn out dinner, can they do it fairly quickly if we request that?

Simply tell your waiter and they will expedite your meal.

5.  Do they usually offer the 3 day dining package cheaper that 68.00 each or is that the best deal going?

Cheapest I have seen ever

6.  Last question, on Celebrity they will offer the individual dining at certain restaurants for sometimes 50% off on certain nights does RC ever do that once you are on board?

Can not answer this question but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE CELEBRITY.

Any other advice would be helpful as well so that we can decide to keep this package or cancel it.

Not familiar with ship you are sailing but have found most restaurants on dining packages fairly good.  Not as good as Celebrity.

14 minutes ago, fedexretiree said:

1. We've never had an issue switching the first nights restaurant.  Some ships no longer assign a restaurant 

2. yes you could go to Chops all 3 nights

3. There is an extra charge for Lobster.  6 oz or 9 oz filet is included

4. Yes you can ask them to make it quick.  we have been out in an hour when we had a show to see.

5. $68 is a decent price.  If you see it cheaper you can cancel and re-book at the lower rate.

6. You might see them offering dining for the first night a a discount.  its unpredictable.

Contrary to what most post here about the packages,  we have has the BOGO as well as a 3 or 5 night package on almost every cruise with Royal and have never used it on night 1 or 2. Yes you can go to Chops 3  nights if you wish if there is room.  Might think about CP 150.  My wife gets her fill of red meat at Chops so we go to 150 and I never have a problem ordering the tenderloin for 2 just for me. They do offer packages onboard but have never seen them cheaper then in the cruise planner. Slight uncharge for surf and turf.  Pretty easy to make chops a 1 hour dinner if you let the waiter know.  At $68 your getting each meal at Chops for a little under 50%. Just be sure to make your first stop after boarding to any specialty dining venue to make all your reservations. happy cruising

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

Contrary to what most post here about the packages,  we have has the BOGO as well as a 3 or 5 night package on almost every cruise with Royal and have never used it on night 1 or 2. Yes you can go to Chops 3  nights if you wish if there is room.  Might think about CP 150.  My wife gets her fill of red meat at Chops so we go to 150 and I never have a problem ordering the tenderloin for 2 just for me. They do offer packages onboard but have never seen them cheaper then in the cruise planner. Slight uncharge for surf and turf.  Pretty easy to make chops a 1 hour dinner if you let the waiter know.  At $68 your getting each meal at Chops for a little under 50%. Just be sure to make your first stop after boarding to any specialty dining venue to make all your reservations. happy cruising

The OP stated they were on Liberty.  There is no 150CP on Liberty.

35 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

150 is my favorite but was not certain there was one on the ship she is sailing.  Thought 150 is only on Oasis class or Quantum class ships.  Thought Liberty is an older/smaller ship.

38 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Around $20

DH ordered it on Enchantment last November and did not care for it.  Waitress said it was not Maine Lobster.  He thought it was tough and not so tasty and not worth the upcharge.

Since Giovanni’s usually has their Mystery Dinner on night 1, I’ve never seen anything other than Chops assigned on the first night. Possibly Sabor, but I’ve never seen it. You can change on the ship. You can do Chops for all three, but don’t discount Giovanni’s.  Most believe (as do I) that Giovanni’s filet is better than Chops and they have excellent pasta, sides and apps to go with it. 

$68 is as cheap as I’ve seen a 3 night, but if it comes up for less you can cancel and repurchase 

I realize food is too subjective but if you think the food wasnt that good on Carnival, honestly, I wouldnt get your hopes up too high about the food on RC, especially when it comes to specialty dining.    Carnival steakhouses absolutely blow Chops out of the water IMO.   I did prefer Giovannis over Carnivals Cucina De Capitano. 

Edited by ryano

Good to know about Giovannis....I didn't know that they offered filets so that will be great for me.  My husband is a meat and potato kind of guy and after 35 years I know that it is not going to change anytime soon but Giovannis will give me some options...THANKS..  Can you please tell me what a Mystery Dinner is..

Also, are you limited on the amount of appetizers that you can have in any of the restaurants?

8 minutes ago, fedexretiree said:

Good to know about Giovannis....I didn't know that they offered filets so that will be great for me.  My husband is a meat and potato kind of guy and after 35 years I know that it is not going to change anytime soon but Giovannis will give me some options...THANKS..  Can you please tell me what a Mystery Dinner is..

Also, are you limited on the amount of appetizers that you can have in any of the restaurants?

They have a Mystery Dinner Theater in Giovanni’s on the first night which is a whodunnit mystery for the guests to solve. I’ve never done it but most report it being a little cheesy but enjoying it. 

No limit on apps or sides. 

Edited by HicksRA

33 minutes ago, ryano said:

I realize food is too subjective but if you think the food wasnt that good on Carnival, honestly, I wouldnt get your hopes up too high about the food on RC, especially when it comes to specialty dining.    Carnival steakhouses absolutely blow Chops out of the water IMO.   I did prefer Giovannis over Carnivals Cucina De Capitano. 

As you say food is subjective but we did try the Carnival Steakhouse and it was pretty good but expensive.   So only 1 night there for us.  The buffet was horrible.  Main dining room was hit and miss, mostly miss for us.  We are  just used to Celebrity I guess and their buffet is pretty darn good.  Especially the grilled steaks, chicken and fish in the back by the Sunset Bar.

27 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

They have a Mystery Dinner Theater in Giovanni’s on the first night which is a whodunnit mystery for the guests to solve. I’ve never done it but most report it being a little cheesy but enjoying it. 

No limit on apps or sides. 

THX

17 hours ago, fedexretiree said:

As you say food is subjective but we did try the Carnival Steakhouse and it was pretty good but expensive.   So only 1 night there for us.  The buffet was horrible.  Main dining room was hit and miss, mostly miss for us.  We are  just used to Celebrity I guess and their buffet is pretty darn good.  Especially the grilled steaks, chicken and fish in the back by the Sunset Bar.

I agree.  Lido buffet leaves a LOT to be desired.  Carnivals steakhouses are now 38.00 a person I think vs. Chops at 49.99.  I much prefer them over Chops especially at the price.  I want to cruise Celebrity some day on Captain Kates ship  🙂  

5 hours ago, ryano said:

I agree.  Lido buffet leaves a LOT to be desired.  Carnivals steakhouses are now 38.00 a person I think vs. Chops at 49.99.  I much prefer them over Chops especially at the price.  I want to cruise Celebrity some day on Captain Kates ship  🙂  

I've cruised with Captain Kate 3 times on the Summit and she is AMAZING....  So friendly and the ship had such a good vibe because of her.  She always adds some humor in the morning announcements so you always leave the ship with a smile on your face.  On our last cruise she had already left for the Equinox ( I think) and we sure missed her...  Hopefully you can sail with her some day...

4 hours ago, little britain said:

That is incredible price! It is $99 on every cruise I have booked... I thought I was doing well when I got one at $89!

Wow thanks, guess that was a good sale then.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, Snit13 said:

150 is my favorite but was not certain there was one on the ship she is sailing.  Thought 150 is only on Oasis class or Quantum class ships.  Thought Liberty is an older/smaller ship.

150 CP (Central Park) is only on Oasis class ships.

Quantum class ships do not have it.

Just now, fedexretiree said:

Thanks to all that have replied.  Is there a link to the menus for these restaurants anywhere.  I looked on RC web site and couldn't find anything there.

On the cruise planner under each individual restaurant there is a link to the menu

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On the cruise planner under each individual restaurant there is a link to the menu

GREAT THANKS.   I called RC right after I sent the last reply and the agent said that there wasn't a link to the menu...LOL  Guess she missed that part of the training.

Just now, fedexretiree said:

GREAT THANKS.   I called RC right after I sent the last reply and the agent said that there wasn't a link to the menu...LOL  Guess she missed that part of the training.

Most of them miss all the training not just part of it.