How to find out how many ships in port?

Daliaha

Hiya all.   I know there is a page that allows you to see all the ships which are in port on your day in port.  Anyone know the webpage?

23 days til we leave... Yay!

4 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

Here's another site that I use... http://ports.cruisett.com/ I find it the easiest site to use to determine which ships will be in a particular port on any given day.

That used to be my go-to site, but I have found that it's sometimes not updated.  Actually, none of the sites is perfect. So I usually check cruisetimetables.com as well as cruisett.com, and, if there is one, the port's own web site.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I know more ships mean bigger crowds.   I'm curious how you guys use this info?  

For the reason you said, to find out whether ours will be the only ship in port and, if not, how large the "port load" (number of passengers) will be that day.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

For the reason you said, to find out whether ours will be the only ship in port and, if not, how large the "port load" (number of passengers) will be that day.   

Gotcha.  I was wondering if it would influence things like going with an excursion instead of on-your-own, or maybe a ship's excursion instead of a private tour.   Not saying it would, just thinking out loud.  

I can't think of any reason to need to know this info.  A port will only take as many as they can handle.  There are "land-based" tourists galore, too....not to mention the folks who actually LIVE there.

It's lucky that there are MANY beaches, and things to do in each port!  Locals won't be on the "tourist" things with you...and they plan for the ships that do come into port.

No worries!

I know that it's always helpful when someone on our roll-call threads looks up this info for the various ports, and posts it.  That information comes in handy when deciding what to do in a particular port -- or whether to even get off the ship, that day!

50 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It's just another topic people make mountains out of molehills on. I was in Cozumel with 6 ships a few months ago, and you know how it affected me? Not at all. 

You are entitled to your opinion, and to ignore threads on this topic!

Me- I like to know how many ships are in port when I'm there. And while Cozumel may be able to handle 6 ships, other ports- not so much.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's just another topic people make mountains out of molehills on. I was in Cozumel with 6 ships a few months ago, and you know how it affected me? Not at all. 

Cozumel is one of very few ports  where this attitude is appropriate.  Most ports (in fact virtually all of the more enjoyable ports) can handle just so many cruise passengers.  Small towns, and small islands, have their characters strongly impacted by  the tens of thousands of day-tourists wanting to “experience the place” —- pouring out of the mega -ships which increasingly dominate the cruise industry.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I can't think of any reason to need to know this info.  A port will only take as many as they can handle.

Well, what's the definition of "handle?"   Sure, they will only take as many ships as they have facilities for in terms of docking/and or tendering.   So they are "handling" those ships.  But that doesn't mean the passengers won't overwhelm the streets, shops, tour guides, etc.  It really depends on the port (and the number of ships).  And maybe it's no big deal in the Caribbean where people are heading to beaches, but it can be a big deal elsewhere.

If I'm on a relatively small ship in a smallish port, and Behemoth of the Seas will be there the same day, I like to be mentally prepared in advance for the crowds.  Maybe I'll act even sooner if I'm looking for a private shore excursion, knowing there'll be more "competition" in terms of other passengers.  Things like that.

If you have no need for this information, that's fine.  But it's clear from how frequently the question is asked here how to find that info that others do consider that info to be useful.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Well, what's the definition of "handle?"   Sure, they will only take as many ships as they have facilities for in terms of docking/and or tendering.   So they are "handling" those ships.  But that doesn't mean the passengers won't overwhelm the streets, shops, tour guides, etc.  It really depends on the port (and the number of ships).  And maybe it's no big deal in the Caribbean where people are heading to beaches, but it can be a big deal elsewhere.

If I'm on a relatively small ship in a smallish port, and Behemoth of the Seas will be there the same day, I like to be mentally prepared in advance for the crowds.  Maybe I'll act even sooner if I'm looking for a private shore excursion, knowing there'll be more "competition" in terms of other passengers.  Things like that.

If you have no need for this information, that's fine.  But it's clear from how frequently the question is asked here how to find that info that others do consider that info to be useful.

cb at sea does not seem to be able to grasp the concept of docking space available as related to how many humans that puts into any given port.  I explained it as best I could awhile back, but this is one of her favorite bits of "advice"...Ports only allow as many ships as they can "handle".    I give up!  🙂

Edited by Rala
typo
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I can't think of any reason to need to know this info.  A port will only take as many as they can handle.  There are "land-based" tourists galore, too....not to mention the folks who actually LIVE there.

It's lucky that there are MANY beaches, and things to do in each port!  Locals won't be on the "tourist" things with you...and they plan for the ships that do come into port.

No worries!

I suppose just being curious is a good enough reason.  I was wondering if there was some other utility.  Sounds like there could be for some folks.  Works for me.  

5 hours ago, Rala said:

cb at sea does not seem to be able to grasp the concept of docking space available as related to how many humans that puts into any given port.  I explained it as best I could awhile back, but this is one of her favorite bits of "advice"...Ports only allow as many ships as they can "handle".    I give up!  🙂

Docking space is relative to amount that the ports can handle. The mega ships only go to so many ports, They go to ports that can "handle it". I have never, ever been to a port that was "overrun".

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Docking space is relative to amount that the ports can handle. The mega ships only go to so many ports, They go to ports that can "handle it". I have never, ever been to a port that was "overrun".

It is not only mega-ships that can be an issue.  I suspect you have never been to Santorini.  Access up and especially down the caldera in the afternoon can be extremely limited.  While there are multiple ways of ascending, with varying access points, all the descents return to one spot in Fira where you have a choice of either walking the Donkey path or taking the tram.  Since the tram has a max capacity of 600 people/hr the lines can become horrendous when even 2 or three of the mainline 2000-3000 passenger ships are set to leave simultaneously.   If you have never been, check it out.  Beautiful place to visit but the number of ships in port (everyone tenders) can really affect your travel and return.

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It would be interesting to know what ports you have been to, if you have “never, ever” been to a port that was overrun.  Ports like St. Thomas and St. Maarten in the Caribbean are overrun when all (or even most) pier space is utilized.  Smaller ports in the Mediterranean reach that point with just one mega-ship in. If you go to such places to stay a few days, you would understand how different they are without many thousands of cruisers.

4 hours ago, wheezedr said:

It is not only mega-ships that can be an issue.  I suspect you have never been to Santorini.  Access up and especially down the caldera in the afternoon can be extremely limited.  While there are multiple ways of ascending, with varying access points, all the descents return to one spot in Fira where you have a choice of either walking the Donkey path or taking the tram.  Since the tram has a max capacity of 600 people/hr the lines can become horrendous when even 2 or three of the mainline 2000-3000 passenger ships are set to leave simultaneously.   If you have never been, check it out.  Beautiful place to visit but the number of ships in port (everyone tenders) can really affect your travel and return.

I haven't been there yet, but I believe you. However, when making an example, something that is <1% of a cruising variable doesn't reinforce an entire point.

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It would be interesting to know what ports you have been to, if you have “never, ever” been to a port that was overrun.  Ports like St. Thomas and St. Maarten in the Caribbean are overrun when all (or even most) pier space is utilized.  Smaller ports in the Mediterranean reach that point with just one mega-ship in. If you go to such places to stay a few days, you would understand how different they are without many thousands of cruisers.

I went to St Thomas and St Maarten last year. Really no problems, but I could see issues arise with St Maarten. While I should say I have never been to an overrun port, I will admit it CAN happen. I still believe it is an overblown topic. There's usually only 1 day or so a month that I've ever noticed certain ports really getting that busy. I just think we stress people out, especially new cruisers, about topics that really don't matter that much to the average cruiser. If we want to have on purpose warnings about the few small islands, by all means.

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I haven't been there yet, but I believe you. However, when making an example, something that is <1% of a cruising variable doesn't reinforce an entire point.

I went to St Thomas and St Maarten last year. Really no problems, but I could see issues arise with St Maarten. While I should say I have never been to an overrun port, I will admit it CAN happen. I still believe it is an overblown topic. There's usually only 1 day or so a month that I've ever noticed certain ports really getting that busy. I just think we stress people out, especially new cruisers, about topics that really don't matter that much to the average cruiser. If we want to have on purpose warnings about the few small islands, by all means.

We spend two weeks on St. Maarten every January.  On most days more than 10,000 cruise passengers come in - and there are a few with 20,000+.  We make it a point to know the heavy days so we just shelter in place: the roads are clogged, many of the beaches are crowded, and towns like Philipsburg and Marigot are swarming.

The “average cruiser” who wants to research ports before booking will see that crowding as a significant topic in deciding on itinerary.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:10 PM, ldubs said:

I know more ships mean bigger crowds.   I'm curious how you guys use this info?  

As others mentioned, I like to know how crowded a port will be and the scheduled arrival & departure times of the other ships. I may select an earlier or later shore excursion with the possibility of smaller crowds before a large ship arrives or after it departs.

Often I use cruisetimetables to research which ships call at a port that interests me. Also for smaller ports, I can choose an acceptable ship that will be in that port on a day with fewer ships.