Uniworld - Can I book next cruise on board? Pros and Cons?

skinnylegs

We are going on our second Uniworld cruise in September (Paris and Normandy) and are contemplating booking another Uniworld cruise (Danube) for 2020.  Do they offer incentives to book the next cruise while still on board?  What are the pros and cons of doing this?  I will research the 2020 cruises thoroughly before considering this.

Last I heard, the discount was down to 2-3%. Last year, it was 5%. They don't seem to be discounting future cruises as far in advance as they used to. It may be better to wait. The main con is that they keep $200/person if you cancel (though you have 5 yr to apply it to another booking.)

Robin

Thank you Robin.  If it was 5%, I would wait for our September cruise.  However,  I think I may take advantage of their current promotion of 5-10% off if you pay in full, after I complete my research.  I loved our Uniworld Rhine cruise but I will also look at Ama (due to ship draft) and Crystal for the Danube.  

22 minutes ago, skinnylegs said:

Thank you Robin.  If it was 5%, I would wait for our September cruise.  However,  I think I may take advantage of their current promotion of 5-10% off if you pay in full, after I complete my research.  I loved our Uniworld Rhine cruise but I will also look at Ama (due to ship draft) and Crystal for the Danube.  

They have certainly changed their pricing logic over the past few years. For our most recent one (March 2018), which wasn't booked onboard, we got a discounted price, the additional 10% pay in full at time of booking (booked in August for late March cruise) and our River Heritage Discount. Not to mention, at this time last year (2018), they were offering ?20% off of 2019 cruises.

Enjoy Paris-Normandy. The JDV is a beautiful ship. And, if you're a golfer, Etretat is a must-do!

We are also considering both Ama and Crystal for future cruises.

Robin

14 minutes ago, skinnylegs said:

I'd jump at 20%  My husband is a very good golfer and I was excited to see Etretat on the itinerary.  Can you golf at Entretat and visit Honfleur after, or is it one or the other?

It's one or the other. On our first Paris-Normandy cruise, we did a visit to Etretat (no golf) then had lunch at a Calvados Farm, and finished in Honfleur. (also with Uniworld, in 2015) On that trip, my husband saw the course, and made it a priority to play there someday. Little did we know that would happen only 3 years later! Your husband could golf, and you could go to Honfleur. I went with my husband, mainly to take pictures.

Robin

11 minutes ago, boblerm said:

We are on the Joie de Vivre, and the info we were given is "up to 10% discount "

Bob

Is that a cumulative total? Last year, that involved the pay-in-full discount and RHC discount, along with the book on board, all rolled into one.

How to you like the JdV?

Robin

6 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Is that a cumulative total? Last year, that involved the pay-in-full discount and RHC discount, along with the book on board, all rolled into one.

How to you like the JdV?

Robin

Robin, I will try to find out. 

We are having a wonderful time on the Joie de Vivre, will report on our trip when we get home. 

Bob

• Like 1

Hi again, do you have to pay in full if you book on board?  I can get a 10% discount if I pay in full before June 30 (5% for a suite) and get my RHC discount.  My travel agent can probably also provide some on board credit.  Booking early seems like the better deal.   Booking on board gives me more time to decide/commit (traveling the last week of August) and I'm guessing I might not have to pay in full.  

Bob, I'm looking forward to hearing about your cruise!  Robin, I have read your trip reports several times and will continue to go back and reference them.  They helped me decide to book the Joie de Vivre.  Merci!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, skinnylegs said:

Hi again, do you have to pay in full if you book on board?  I can get a 10% discount if I pay in full before June 30 (5% for a suite) and get my RHC discount.  My travel agent can probably also provide some on board credit.  Booking early seems like the better deal.   Booking on board gives me more time to decide/commit (traveling the last week of August) and I'm guessing I might not have to pay in full.  

Bob, I'm looking forward to hearing about your cruise!  Robin, I have read your trip reports several times and will continue to go back and reference them.  They helped me decide to book the Joie de Vivre.  Merci!

Thank you! I do apologize that we didn't choose to do some of the excursions that you probably will (Honfleur, Landing Beaches-because we had done both before) and Monet's Gardens (due to time of year). We did do them, just three years earlier, before I was doing trip reports. 

The JdV is a stunning ship, and we really enjoyed her. I hope you do as well.

Robin

6 hours ago, skinnylegs said:

Here's the deal for on board booking as I understand it - if you book on board, you get a 3% discount, and if you pay in full, you get another 10% discount. She did not mention that there is a difference between the discount for a suite vs  a cabin (10% vs 5%). The rhc discount is a fixed dollar amount depending on the itinerary and room selection. 

The good news is that you get 10 days in which you can cancel without a penalty. 

Bob