INTERNET

Cruisegirl6

Do we get any type of discount if we purchase the Wi Fi before our cruise?  

Do you know how much the value and premium would be a day if we purchase on the ship?

I like to check the nest which are cameras in the house, like to check on our pets (we have a pet sitter) and like to email and Facebook, would value work for all three of these things?

2 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Do we get any type of discount if we purchase the Wi Fi before our cruise?  

Do you know how much the value and premium would be a day if we purchase on the ship?

I like to check the nest which are cameras in the house, like to check on our pets (we have a pet sitter) and like to email and Facebook, would value work for all three of these things?

You do not get any sort of discount whatsoever. However, if you want to save 10% use some sort of reward gift card (AARP). The price is identical wether or not your purchase it before or after departure. 

Edited by jbethel11

Just now, Cruisegirl6 said:

Thank you, now to figure out whether I can get the nest with the value plan and my other half get the premium as he needs to check emails for work.

As far as I’m concerned you can test out the WiFi for one day on the ship (by purchasing the WiFi for let’s say Embarkation Day Only) and seeing if it works. Then, if it doesn’t, upgrade to the Premium WiFi. 

You really should be using carnival.com for these types of questions or you risk getting misinformation like jbethel11 provided.  Here is the scoop on wifi costs from Carnival's website:

Value Wi-Fi Plan 

• Access popular social websites, email and applications including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Snapchat and the most popular airline sites as well as news, entertainment (not including streaming sites), sports, weather, banking and finance
  • Post pictures of your trip and make your friends jealous (using the faster speeds of the Social Plan)
  • Does not support Skype or video and music streaming (i.e., Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora), cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and FaceTime services
  • Pricing*
    • Pre-cruise: $10.20 USD, per day
    • Onboard: $12.00 USD, per day
    • Onboard 24 hour plan: $16.00 USD

Premium Wi-Fi Plan

• Premium Wi-Fi plan provides access to all sites under the Social and Value Plans at the fastest possible connection (3 times faster than the Value Plan)
  • Supports Skype calling where coverage allows. Does not support video and music streaming (i.e., Netflix*, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora), cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and FaceTime services
  • Carnival Vista, Carnival Horizon and Carnival Sunrise are Netflix enabled, so you can use the Netflix app and your Netflix account to watch your favorite shows
  • Pricing*
    • Pre-cruise: $14.45 USD, per day
    • Onboard: $17.00 USD, per day
    • Onboard 24 hour plan: $25.00 USD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Good idea!!

The only problem with that is if you are close enough to land where reception miraculous works, that might allow the video camera to get reception even though if you were let’s say further out at sea, it wouldn’t work as well. So the safest option would be to just purchase the Premium WiFi. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

As far as I’m concerned you can test out the WiFi for one day on the ship (by purchasing the WiFi for let’s say Embarkation Day Only) and seeing if it works. Then, if it doesn’t, upgrade to the Premium WiFi. 

if you buy the weekly package in advance and you don't like it,  guest services will refund the entire package. We did it on the Conquest, it was pathetically slow

1 minute ago, coevan said:

if you buy the weekly package in advance and you don't like it,  guest services will refund the entire package. We did it on the Conquest, it was pathetically slow

Yeah, I’ve heard that it is no where near what Royal offers. 

2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

The only problem with that is if you are close enough to land where reception miraculous works,

This is soooo wrong. Possibly your home cell service is picking up the local signal, which will be much faster than most Carnival wifi. Being at port has nothing to do with the ships wifi.

• Like 1

This is soooo wrong. Possibly your home cell service is picking up the local signal, which will be much faster than most Carnival wifi. Being at port has nothing to do with the ships wifi.

I’m confused as to what you mean by “local service”?

Yeah you have to be in airplane mode to use the ships wifi so it wont pick up any cell service

2 minutes ago, matymil said:

What ship are you on?

NVM sorry I saw in your signature it says the Breeze. We've bought wifi on several ships for different reasons. I talked to an IT on the Vista and put over how good the premium package was and how much better it was than the other ships. He told me that they were going to try and get the better wifi fleet wide but it would take along time. As of right now, he told me that only the newer ships have it so I'm not sure if the Breeze got upgraded yet.

2 minutes ago, matymil said:

Yeah you have to be in airplane mode to use the ships wifi so it wont pick up any cell service

That’s what I meant (or at least intended to mean). If you don’t have your phone on airplane mode, and if you are close enough to land, you can then pick up service that may or may not be strong enough to connect to the Nest device. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Depends on the ship. Vista’s WiFi, which is also on Horizon, is outstanding. 

Last year we streamed a 4 hour ppv on the Vista. It was amazing no problems at all....awesome but also at the same time depressing when you think about how bad the internet on most of the other ships is.

9 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Really? I thought this was a fleet wide problem. Oh well. 

They upgraded vista and horizon a year ago. They have access points in all of the rooms and all over the ship. I was able to stream YouTube TV and upload videos all over the ship the entire cruise. 

A month or or two ago they said they boosted the internet speed fleetwide but there’s no way they added all of those additional access points on every ship that quickly.  I’ll be interested to see if there’s any improvement on Glory in August.

Edited by Saint Greg

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

They upgraded vista and horizon a year ago. They have access points in all of the rooms and all over the ship. I was able to stream YouTube TV and upload videos all over the ship the entire cruise. 

A month or or two ago they said they boosted the internet speed fleetwide but there’s no way they added all of those additional access points on every ship that quickly.  I’ll be interested to see if there’s any improvement on Glory in August.

According to the IT worker I talked to he said it would take "years for the other ships to catch up" and this was last April