Packing for Norway in early June

It is sort of like packing for Alaska, if you have ever been.

I did a lot of boat rides so I often wore a t-shirt with a pull over windbreaker and wore this a lot. A lot of people just wore rain/wind jackets.

We had cold temps and strong wind at North Cape. I would say 5 C temps that day up North. I did wear ear protection and gloves that day. Also, be prepared for rain.

It is sort of like packing for Alaska, if you have ever been.

I did a lot of boat rides so I often wore a t-shirt with a pull over windbreaker and wore this a lot. A lot of people just wore rain/wind jackets.

We had cold temps and strong wind at North Cape. I would say 5 C temps that day up North. I did wear ear protection and gloves that day. Also, be prepared for rain.
What time of year were you in Norway?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

June 23 - July 7 (last year).
Thanks. I'll be going in a couple weeks June 10-23.
Hoping for a bit above 5C, (11-15C would be nice) but will be prepared for lower.
And I'm sure it wasn't 5C throughout your two weeks in Norway - maybe just North Cape & occasional higher elevations?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Thanks. I'll be going in a couple weeks June 10-23.
Hoping for a bit above 5C, (11-15C would be nice) but will be prepared for lower.
And I'm sure it wasn't 5C throughout your two weeks in Norway - maybe just North Cape & occasional higher elevations?

It was just one day and in North Cape. Trying to find my notes.

Here are my notes: Honningsvag (North Cape) There was a negative to the day – the log said it was 44 degrees (6.66 C) and Force 7 winds which is up to 40 MPH in Honningsvag. Well – it was worse in North Cape. Wind was much stronger. On top of that, it was extremely gray/foggy out. I had heard those who left earlier had a little better weather and late in the afternoon had clearer weather. Our wind was incredibly strong – I would say above 40 MPH; it was difficult to walk to the Globe at the top. 

Edited by Coral

Here are the temps for the rest of the trip in F.

Stavanger - 60 degrees F

Skjolden - 55 F

Hellesylt/Gerianger  - 52 F

Trondheim - 57 F rainy

Honningsvag - 44 degrees F and Force 7 winds 

Tromso - 61 F

Alesund - 57 F

Bergen - 55 F

On 5/20/2019 at 10:09 PM, Coral said:

Here are the temps for the rest of the trip in F.

Stavanger - 60 degrees F

Skjolden - 55 F

Hellesylt/Gerianger  - 52 F

Trondheim - 57 F rainy

Honningsvag - 44 degrees F and Force 7 winds 

Tromso - 61 F

Alesund - 57 F

Bergen - 55 F

Thanks for posting these.  Please tell me that these weren't high temps for the day?  This Georgia girl might need to bring her winter coat!

8 hours ago, beachluver9 said:

Thanks for posting these.  Please tell me that these weren't high temps for the day?  This Georgia girl might need to bring her winter coat!

Yes they were the highs. I want to say it felt warmer in Geringer but we traveled quite a bit there and I am guessing the temps were where the ship was.

This is what the ship posted in either the daily patters or the log at the end of the cruise. Sorry I don't remember but I referenced my documents when I posted them.

Most days I wore a t-shirt and a windbreaker pullover. Many wore a jacket. I just looked and the high is in the 40-50's right now with snow at night in Tromso.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, Coral said:

Yes they were the highs. I want to say it felt warmer in Geringer but we traveled quite a bit there and I am guessing the temps were where the ship was.

This is what the ship posted in either the daily patters or the log at the end of the cruise. Sorry I don't remember but I referenced my documents when I posted them.

Most days I wore a t-shirt and a windbreaker pullover. Many wore a jacket. I just looked and the high is in the 40-50's right now with snow at night in Tromso.

Good to know.  I guess I better bring my "winter coat" aka a trench coat in other parts of the country!  Maybe some gloves as well.  With temps in the upper 90s for the past week, sixty sounds fabulous!

51 minutes ago, beachluver9 said:

Good to know.  I guess I better bring my "winter coat" aka a trench coat in other parts of the country!  Maybe some gloves as well.  With temps in the upper 90s for the past week, sixty sounds fabulous!

I agree. I would love to be in 50's and 60's compared to today's 85. If you have any boat rides planned, ear protection and gloves maybe best. I saw more "short jackets" than trench coats but if you are in from GA, you may not have that type of a jacket. A good short rain jacket/windbreaker would be good if you have it. Have a blast! I wish I was going this year.

Trench coats are super common in the bigger cities. Especially when it’s raining, since they provide more rain cover and you can potentially sit down on a wet bench. Personally I like them in the wind as well, because a breeze will easily cut through denim and make my butt and thighs cold. I actually just bought a new lightweight rain trench for summer, because I prefer it for everyday use over a shorter-length technical hiking shell.

Trenches tend to become less popular when the temperatures get up to 20°C, because they start to get too warm for most locals. But with sporadic rain and temps around 10-15°C I see them all over Oslo at the moment.

3 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Trench coats are super common in the bigger cities. Especially when it’s raining, since they provide more rain cover and you can potentially sit down on a wet bench. Personally I like them in the wind as well, because a breeze will easily cut through denim and make my butt and thighs cold. I actually just bought a new lightweight rain trench for summer, because I prefer it for everyday use over a shorter-length technical hiking shell.

Trenches tend to become less popular when the temperatures get up to 20°C, because they start to get too warm for most locals. But with sporadic rain and temps around 10-15°C I see them all over Oslo at the moment.

I am the opposite - I find trench coats frustrating during touring. I didn't see many of them on my trip but we did not go to Oslo.

Thanks for all of the advise!  My "trench" coat reaches just below the hips so it sounds that it will be just about right. Since we are planning on a couple of independent excursions in small rib boats, I will try to find some gloves to take along.  I don't own a hat, so will just have to skip that one as it doesn't make sense to buy one to use for just a few hours.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:28 PM, beachluver9 said:

Thanks for all of the advise!  My "trench" coat reaches just below the hips so it sounds that it will be just about right. Since we are planning on a couple of independent excursions in small rib boats, I will try to find some gloves to take along.  I don't own a hat, so will just have to skip that one as it doesn't make sense to buy one to use for just a few hours.

Southern girl too... so totally understand about getting cold. 😊

I was really happy that I had an ear warmer headband on some of my boat trips in Norway. Do you have one?

If not, an ear warmer is good thing for Norway boat travel and for higher elevations