Princess New Zealand Tour Opinion

Could use anyone's opinion about  Princess Cruise line Fiordland , Queenstown & Dunedin Overland tour VS staying on the ship and doing  just the Fiordland cruising?    Wondering what we might miss by taking the overnight bus tour.    First time in the area for us.

Thank You

I haven't done the overland tour because we have toured NZ by land. However, I have heard good reports about the tour. The ships' tours of the fiords go into Milford (the most northerly of the fiords they visit) and Dusky and Doubtful. Without doubt, Milford is most spectacular. If you take the tour, you would be on the ship while it sails through Milford Sound. Passengers doing the tour disembark near the land-ward end of Milford. The ship then swivels (I don't think that is the the technical term!), and sails out of Milford. Many passengers take a break at this time and don't wait until the ship gets back to the open sea. The ship then sails southward for an hour or so before entering the next sound. After the ship leaves the sounds, there is virtually nothing to see until the ship enters Port Chalmers (for Dunedin).

My advice is doing the overland tour is worth it, as mentioned you would have seen best of the sounds and get to see more of NZ, some of the most beautiful landscape to see, and also the adventure capital in Queenstown.

I  would have no hestation in recommending the overland trip as you see some of the best scenery in NZ, even though it means missing the attractions of Dunedin as you arrive back late in the day just before the ship sails.

Thank you all for responding.    Who knows when we will be back  so yes I think it would be a great way to see a nice bit of NZ.  Everyone of my friends that has traveled to NZ has raved about  it.    Now just have to come up with the money to pay for it.   Have about a year to save.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, waltd said:

Thank you all for responding.    Who knows when we will be back  so yes I think it would be a great way to see a nice bit of NZ.  Everyone of my friends that has traveled to NZ has raved about  it.    Now just have to come up with the money to pay for it.   Have about a year to save.

waltd: We are debating this option as well. Last time we did get into Milford Sound, spectacular, but crossing The Tasman was a 'real' adventure. Of course this time we will be coming in from Australia. Decisions to make.....:)

35 minutes ago, waltd said:

What a tough life with all this decision making.      LOL     What is meant to be will happen.   

Joe

Joe: Yes indeed....but we have time to decide. 🙂

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Dont leave it till the last minute . Accom in Queenstown is at a premium, (one reason why its so expensive) .

Thanks for the info, as Joe said, must start saving up for this one as Princess wants $999.95 USD p/p. 

29 minutes ago, rlbeck said:

Thanks for the info, as Joe said, must start saving up for this one as Princess wants $999.95 USD p/p. 

If you want to do this tour, it can only be done through Princess. Often passengers can book independent tours that are similar to what Princess offers, but in this case, unless you are on their tour, you would not be able to disembark the ship while it is in Milford Sound. That is the only way you could do an overland segment on the South Island.