Beware of Expedia cruise experts!

2/23/19 I was booking a cruise on Expedia and as a second check called their cruise assistance line. I was very clear that we wanted an outside obstructed view balcony. I had the same info up on my computer as they had and thought all was well. Booked, paid and got my receipt that said guaranty balcony.
  Today I got a mail from RC cruise line about my "inside view balcony" and immediately started calling Expedia and RC to find the error. After 3 hours talking with a few people we are stuck and with the ship now full (5/18)  there is nothing they will do. Expedia conflict resolution people admit that their receipts need to be more clear when sent out. She even said she has been trying to get them to be better. They seem to agree with me and believe their booking agent made a "data entry mistake" as to the type of cabin. Expedia seems to have their own internal codes.
   So we are headed to a cruise with a crappy inside balcony and are really feeling butt hurt. I always book online. Have no use for TA services. I only got on the phone with Expedia because I wanted to be sure and now I am screwed by Expedia IMO.
   Don't bother telling me I should use a TA. I have done fine online for many years. I was all set booking online but the Expedia cruise TA said  she wanted to complete the booking on the phone. I figured it helped her job record.
  Just be very careful and get solid verification with your receipt. Expedia only keeps their phone recordings for 60 days..It was a data entry mistake between XN and XB.
  footnote: Expedia said they could put me in a upgraded balcony for $1600 more. After some talk I agreed to pay 1/3 of that but they said they could not... "not without proof" from me.
   Just be very careful booking online and then dealing with people. Watch out for Expedia...their receipts and codes may get you burnt like us.

• Thanks 1

Personally I am not impressed with Expedia,  but what is an inside balcony? Is it something particular to RC?

Edited by pjwaz
Duplicate letter

• 2 weeks later...

On the Oasis class ships it is an inside  balcony that overlooks either a park, shops or a boardwalk type area to the interior. We were up 5-6 floors above the boardwalk. Had a good view into the cabins on the other side. At time it was loud with music etc. if you used the balcony. I imagine other larger ships might have them.

Never again....

• 1 month later...

It's always a good idea to book a specific cabin number, so you can SEE where it is located on the deck plans!  I never book "blind" without deck plans in front of me.  The only time I'd do that is if I were to book a "suite guarantee"...as there really are no "bad" suites!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/17/2019 at 3:01 AM, Flyaway39 said:

2/23/19 I was booking a cruise on Expedia and as a second check called their cruise assistance line. I was very clear that we wanted an outside obstructed view balcony. I had the same info up on my computer as they had and thought all was well. Booked, paid and got my receipt that said guaranty balcony.
  Today I got a mail from RC cruise line about my "inside view balcony" and immediately started calling Expedia and RC to find the error. After 3 hours talking with a few people we are stuck and with the ship now full (5/18)  there is nothing they will do. Expedia conflict resolution people admit that their receipts need to be more clear when sent out. She even said she has been trying to get them to be better. They seem to agree with me and believe their booking agent made a "data entry mistake" as to the type of cabin. Expedia seems to have their own internal codes.
   So we are headed to a cruise with a crappy inside balcony and are really feeling butt hurt. I always book online. Have no use for TA services. I only got on the phone with Expedia because I wanted to be sure and now I am screwed by Expedia IMO.
   Don't bother telling me I should use a TA. I have done fine online for many years. I was all set booking online but the Expedia cruise TA said  she wanted to complete the booking on the phone. I figured it helped her job record.
  Just be very careful and get solid verification with your receipt. Expedia only keeps their phone recordings for 60 days..It was a data entry mistake between XN and XB.
  footnote: Expedia said they could put me in a upgraded balcony for $1600 more. After some talk I agreed to pay 1/3 of that but they said they could not... "not without proof" from me.
   Just be very careful booking online and then dealing with people. Watch out for Expedia...their receipts and codes may get you burnt like us.

I do not use Expedia anymore.  Had a big problem with them several years ago.  Too many other choices out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also was burned with inaccurate info from Expedia and try to never use them except for the flashing cabin feature on their deck plans. I use cruisedeckplans.com to slide the transparent decks over my deck when I plan in addition to cruise critic cabin reviews. YouTube sometimes as a video of your cabin. I try to be comprehensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at USAA, Costco and shopped 20x places.   Expedia had $100 dollars OBC per cabin.   I would have went with Costco that had 70 Costco Card plus 3%+2% off but they were $100 more than Expedia and the Carnival site and could not figure out why.

I did look at the cabins they reserved for me before I agreed.  The one thing he saw was that we could have adjoining cabins ...the Carnival site did not specify this.  You had to know that it was an option (I didnt know that.)

• 2 weeks later...

I used Expedia during their exclusive Princess sale last year and had no issues at all.  I think data entry errors can happen anywhere and yes the TA should have double checked but in the end it is the consumer’s responsibility.  You said you had everything on the computer in front of you before calling - did you not verify the email receipt Expedia would have emailed you?  It would have had the cabin number and cabin type on it.