Merged Topics - Server Errors

It's amazing that it's a problem that happens over and over again which tells you it isn't fixed. It's weird that it only affects certain forums and not the whole site. Like the other poster said, to see these error messages in this day and age is very disappointing. I doubt there is a single person who feels the new site is in any way, shape, or form an upgrade from what we used to have.  Quite the opposite ......

• Like 6

Maybe this is a blessing! Not. 

But it gives us something in common that substitutes our normal chat activities. 

If this is how we meet new people, so be it. I’m trying to get on the Princess threads for my cruise in October. 

Glenn

35 minutes ago, hancock said:

I am relieved to know it isn't my computer. I was going crazy not being able to access the boards.

If you are otherwise able to access other web sites, and just having problems with one site, the problem generally isn't on your end.  (Especially if that one site right now is THIS ONE!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Okay -- very frustrated -- twice I have been able to open the HAL board -- saw that other people are able to post.  But when I open a thread, all I get is the SQL message.

Why can some people post and others are not able to?

That's my pet peeve as well.  Always a bridesmaid, never a bride even on CC.

Sigh.  I dunno, after this, I'm going to use "that which shall not be mentioned".  The unreliability of MySQL is well-known for those of us in IT (even before Oracle bought it, it was an unreliable piece of garbage compared to PostGRE SQL).

Too bad, really liked CC, but obviously this is going to be a continuing and on going problem.  Wouldn't be as bad if it didn't last for days at a time.

😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Add My SQL server to the missing.  This is truly frustrating as it happens way too often.  

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Okay -- very frustrated -- twice I have been able to open the HAL board -- saw that other people are able to post.  But when I open a thread, all I get is the SQL message.

Why can some people post and others are not able to?

Me too, frustrating!  Some seem to be posting -- but even if the board opens, I can't open any threads.  Started yesterday, it does happen way too often on weekends and holidays. grrr

• Like 1

Been getting it sporadically for the last few days, this time by trying to load

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

MySQL server has gone away

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

When you fix this, please increase the number of posts per page.

This is reminding me of problems CC had years ago when the boards were run by Infopop. Everyone cslled it Infopoop. They finally switched and all was fine for years. Someone sold them a bill of goods when they convinced management to fix something that wasn’t broken. The new boards lack many features of the old ones. This is becoming a joke; but not funny at all.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mjonis said:

Sigh.  I dunno, after this, I'm going to use "that which shall not be mentioned".  The unreliability of MySQL is well-known for those of us in IT (even before Oracle bought it, it was an unreliable piece of garbage compared to PostGRE SQL).

Too bad, really liked CC, but obviously this is going to be a continuing and on going problem.  Wouldn't be as bad if it didn't last for days at a time.

😞

You are not going anywhere, and they know you’re not going anywhere. 

There’s not really a competitive website to go to. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

You are not going anywhere, and they know you’re not going anywhere. 

There’s not really a competitive website to go to. 

But the problem is sooner or later people will just give up and eventually the boards will die.😢

Even with other places to discuss cruising, I still think this one is the best, especially for exchanging information and roll calls. I really don’t want those to go away, but I’m afraid that’s where this is headed. I never would have thought in 2018/2019 a site update would send us back to the dark ages. This new site isn’t much faster or more reliable than the old AOL boards were back in 2000!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Me too, frustrating!  Some seem to be posting -- but even if the board opens, I can't open any threads.  Started yesterday, it does happen way too often on weekends and holidays. grrr

It is just not fair!

9 minutes ago, Cindy said:

But the problem is sooner or later people will just give up and eventually the boards will die.😢

Even with other places to discuss cruising, I still think this one is the best, especially for exchanging information and roll calls. I really don’t want those to go away, but I’m afraid that’s where this is headed. 

I agree with you about the great value of these boards.  I also share your concern that this most recent set of recurring and very significant problems will drive some people away, especially given the level of frustration with the other glitches, annoyances, and loss of functionalities we’ve experienced since the “upgrade.”   I have emailed CC to express that concern and suggested that an announcement letting folks know what is going on and when we can expect a permanent fix would be helpful. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1