Merged Topics - Server Errors

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I think that companies best deal with problems like this by being upfront with their customers and communicating with them. People are more willing to be patient if they are informed about what is going on, what’s being done to address it, and when it reasonably is expected to be fixed.  

Remember, if it's free, you're not the customer... you're the product.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The CC people we communicate with may not know the details of what is going on. That they are community people not tech people. That the tech people that run the servers are at the hosting company, not at CC. That Laura and Jenn report the issues to the hosting company and the hosting company reports back they are working on fixing the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be the case the first time this happened.   But I give them enough credit to think that after the repeated inaccessibility of a main portion of this site — after a big upgrade no less —  they’d want to know what is going on. And I still believe that communication with people when things are going wrong is important. 

• Like 2

That might be the case the first time this happened.   But I give them enough credit to think that after the repeated inaccessibility of a main portion of this site — after a big upgrade no less —  they’d want to know what is going on. And I still believe that communication with people when things are going wrong is important.  

I am sure they want to know what is going on and want it fixed. My point is they are not the ones doing the tech. They are administrating the social.

An analogy is my internet. If there is an outage I call my ISP. They say they know about it and are working on it. But that point of contact never has the tech reasons for the outage. Or they send someone out. If I see the tech when they come out I might get some information.

If there are constant problems I can switch ISPs. CC can change the hosting service if the problems are not fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I guess my subtle dig over the continued lack of information about what is going on was just too subtle.  Let me be more blunt.  You really need to open up about what is going on before we decide it's just not worth wasting time here anymore.

Not so subtle 😉

Honestly, I do apologize to anyone who feels like we are not communicating enough.  I have been trying my best but know that while I may not be here constantly responding to the posts I am working behind the scenes to quickly get errors resolved and to investigate/implement ways to prevent them.  

When these server errors are brought to our attention, I do try to at least respond to let you know that we are reporting the issue to be worked on.  Most of the time, you all know before I do that there is even an issue.  We do get email alerts, however most times a member has already posted here or emailed at the same time as the alert.  At that time I do report the error to my boards tech team.  They then investigate and work on getting the forums back up and running. 

This specific case/server error issue is not related to one specific cause (ie: maintenance) and we want to clear this up as much as you all want the issue to be cleared up.  The last thing we want is something between you and accessing your topics and roll calls.  I can promise that we are taking this very seriously and do hope to eliminate any errors such as these from occurring.  

I mentioned that we do have a system that will send us an email during these server issues, but I want to keep this thread open and do not want to discourage any of you from posting when/if you do get an error.  It is valuable information and we do appreciate that you care enough to report when there is a problem.   We can also be reached via email.

Thanks for your patience and understanding

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Honestly, I do apologize to anyone who feels like we are not communicating enough.  I have been trying my best but know that while I may not be here constantly responding to the posts I am working behind the scenes to quickly get errors resolved and to investigate/implement ways to prevent them ...

Jenn, thanks for your response on here and for all you are doing to keep CC up and running. 

• Like 1

Jenn, Thank You for your recent post. 

Can you provide me the correct email address to communicate with someone there at Cruise Critic about the many issues with this non-improved "improved" website.  I tried 2 different ones and received no reply.  The email was not mean, I just wanted a place to give feedback.  Maybe all these issues we as users face are not known to anyone that can attempt to fix them. 

4 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Jenn, Thank You for your recent post. 

Can you provide me the correct email address to communicate with someone there at Cruise Critic about the many issues with this non-improved "improved" website.  I tried 2 different ones and received no reply.  The email was not mean, I just wanted a place to give feedback.  Maybe all these issues we as users face are not known to anyone that can attempt to fix them. 

help@cruisecritic.com will come to the community team and we can decide who the email is best to be addressed by 🙂

7 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

help@cruisecritic.com will come to the community team and we can decide who the email is best to be addressed by 🙂

I tried that 2 days ago and no reply. 

There is one thing maybe you can do something about because it broke during the SQL or whatever it is called problem.  This is the page numbering.  It is still messed up, is there any chance you can direct IT team to set it back to the way it was before this most recent SQL thing happened?  Has no one else noticed this?  I am on a very active roll call and it really needs to be fixed. Please ......

Edited by hpeabody

There is one thing maybe you can do something about because it broke during the SQL or whatever it is called problem.  This is the page numbering.  It is still messed up, is there any chance you can direct IT team to set it back to the way it was before this most recent SQL thing happened?  Has no one else noticed this?  I am on a very active roll call and it really needs to be fixed. Please ......

I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to. Unless it is that there are now less posts per page. Prior we had 40 and at this time were displaying 25

1 minute ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to. Unless it is that there are now less posts per page. Prior we had 40 and at this time were displaying 25

Was this change made for technical reasons?

40 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Yes, that is it Jenn.  Is it possible to go back to 40?

5 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Yes, that is it Jenn.  Is it possible to go back to 40?

25 was the suggested ideal setting from the developer. We did bump it up to 40 shortly after implementation, however sometime recently it must have reverted.  

At this time We’d like to stick to that to see if the has a positive effect on some of the performance issues. 

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

Hi, you might want to try post numbering instead.   Several of my roll calls in the past would refer to page numbers, but we were able to set the number of posts per page on a lap top, so the page numbers were a bit useless as they were different depending on what setting you were using.  Post numbers tend to remain static on a roll call as roll calls rarely have posts removed unless you have a nutter posting.  ;)   

Hope this helps

12 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi, you might want to try post numbering instead.   Several of my roll calls in the past would refer to page numbers, but we were able to set the number of posts per page on a lap top, so the page numbers were a bit useless as they were different depending on what setting you were using.  Post numbers tend to remain static on a roll call as roll calls rarely have posts removed unless you have a nutter posting. 😉   

Hope this helps

Thanks Cruise Kitty.  I know post#s can be used, but this roll call has been going for more than 16 months and the first segment begins in 9 days. I join at segment 2.  It's hard to maintain organization with this abrupt change over at this stage.  Oh, well.  I will likely be dropping off CC anyway after this cruise as I just do not enjoy the struggles of this new platform.  😞

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, masterty said:

This is going on now for 3+ weeks. Is there an alternative to CC boards because I would like to know?

I’d love to know that too. This morning (Oz time) it’s been awful. 

I have not read this entire thread just last few pages and let me tell you about my problem.

Whenever I go to roll call page after being away for say 2 hours I first get an error message that says that I do not have permission to use this page and than it goes to roll call.

Every few days it tells me I must log in. I log in and get message that my password is not correct. I go to reset password and put in same password and than get in.

This has happened at least a dozen times. Does anyone else have this problem?

1 minute ago, Micah's Grandad said:

I have not read this entire thread just last few pages and let me tell you about my problem.

Whenever I go to roll call page after being away for say 2 hours I first get an error message that says that I do not have permission to use this page and than it goes to roll call.

Every few days it tells me I must log in. I log in and get message that my password is not correct. I go to reset password and put in same password and than get in.

This has happened at least a dozen times. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem. Normally I wait a few seconds and the page regenerates itself to show me logged in. Otherwise, I just log in again. 

Glenn

Haha!  It even does it to me on this thread!  And I have posted here half a dozen times.  I'm getting used to it having to re-load.

With Tapatalk, (which seems to be available again) it says my password is incorrect.  So I have just stopped trying to use Tapatalk.  It is so much easier to post photos now just using CC.  The only inconvenience, I find, is the wait while CC decides to re-load and let me in.

And right now, when I was trying to respond to a post on the HAL board, I found I couldn't reply.  I clicked on "Submit" and it said "Saving" and then just went back to "Submit".  That has happened to me a few times recently.  

Edited by Vict0riann

19 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I have the same problem. Normally I wait a few seconds and the page regenerates itself to show me logged in. Otherwise, I just log in again. 

Glenn

This is what happens to me, too.  The server takes a few seconds to recognize that I'm already logged in.  I think it has a lot to do with the internet connection and processor speed on the receiving end.  It should reload the page automatically, but if it doesn't, reload it manually with the reload link at the top left of the page near the url.

Maybe it's just the forums I post in on a regular basis, but I'm noticed a lot less people posting and participating since the changeover.  It can be difficult to log in and stay logged in, not to mention all the steps you have to go through to locate your previous posts.  When we had the app, I would post more, especially simple, short responses, but now that it's gone, I don't post as frequently.

This morning I could only see All Activity, and clicking on the items in the pull down menu didn't work.  Grrrr......

Roz

• Like 2

Ditto on the fewer posts by other CC'ers, which I noticed on the East Coast departure sub-forum ... as noted by others, perhaps with the less "apparent" user/newbie & visitors friendly nature of the forum design/layout/format.  

For the moment, Norweigian sub-forum is working on my end and that's good, but, not as active as it once was - only CC admin. knows for sure as they have the stats & # of hits, searches, etc.

Tapatalk's feeds & connections are back this month, I am seeing a daily alert/summary of posts/forums that I subscribed to coming back - it's a good thing ... hopefully, not going to result in more buggy things happening or worst than earlier.  Fingers crossed ... have a great Sunday.

• Like 1

New issue/error

i am logged in and was reading a thread on the Celebrity board.  I wanted to reply to it, so when I scrolled down, I didn't get the usual reply  box, I got a message "to reply create an acccount or log in". SInce I knew I was logged in, I just came here to post that. Maybe I'll try that thread again......

20 minutes ago, ecslady said:

New issue/error

i am logged in and was reading a thread on the Celebrity board.  I wanted to reply to it, so when I scrolled down, I didn't get the usual reply  box, I got a message "to reply create an acccount or log in". SInce I knew I was logged in, I just came here to post that. Maybe I'll try that thread again......

That happens to me often. I sign in again and it works. 

Glenn