Communication options while docked in Cuba?

islacruzer

Family and I are planning to go on the cruise to Cuba on the Sunrise next year. Several questions:

1. Does anyone know if Internet is still available onboard while in port in Cuba? 
  2. We always bring a prepaid sat phone when cruising, just to give the wife peace of mind. Although we understand that this is not allowed in Cuba, is this allowed while onboard when docked? I'm pretty sure it is being that the ship is under jurisdiction of whatever flag of convenience it is flying at the time but wanted to check for sure.

Mainly, we like to call the family to let them know we made it on port, hence the question about communication. Normally we use whatsapp just to make a quick call and say hi so any feedback is appreciated. 

19 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I would assume that the internet will still be available on board.

I would also assume that if the sat phone is illegal in Cuba, if you are seen using it there is the risk of being arrested.

Thanks for your response. We were actually more concerned about communicating on board while at port, not necessarily while on land. The sat phones are definitely illegal on Cuba but legal to use while on the ship (so long as it's legal in the country of the flag that the ship is flying at the time it's docked), but that discussion might be appropriate for another thread. 

Looks like Cuba has a lot of options for communicating while on land. After reading some more, it looks like the customs officials will confiscate sat phones when you step off, but cell phones are legal with their sim cards.  Again, this question was more of finding out what options we will have while on board and docked. If internet is still available then we're good. Even better that we can get cell service on land.