SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

Hello everyone!  It’s me with another LIVE (ish) thread, although this one is an unplanned surprise.  It has been a tumultuous year, thus far, so we booked some “You-and-Me-and-the-Sea” time. 

Cost was a factor as we have a big trip coming up in the Fall.  We also had a narrow window of availability.  We were lucky to find a *Private Sale on a Canada/New England itinerary which fit within the parameters.  (*Proof positive that I can be bought.  Or at least worn down.) 

7EDDEC52-B059-4FA3-A0D4-F5F6594ADA36.jpeg

• Like 2

We did somewhat of the same itinerary last September and enjoyed it so much that we said we’d do it again.  We didn’t quite expect that “again” would be a few months later... but who’s complaining?  Not he and certainly not me.  We are looking forward to spending some time together since we don’t get to do that much.

This will be our first time on the Zaandam as well as on an R-Class ship.  It will also be our first time in an Ocean View room.  And a Guarantee at that.  Scary.

I am rather hoping that we like an OV because Verandahs and Suites can get a little pricey.  I admit to being a bit nervous of the unknown.  But it will always remain the unknown if we don’t try it.

• Like 1

TRAVEL PLANNING

It has been a long winter, and a very late Spring up north, so the river/lake/sea levels are high this year.  It is doubtful that we will disembark in Montreal.  This makes planning a little challenging.  Do I gamble on disembarking in Quebec City?  All my instincts tell me that’s where we’ll be getting off but we won’t know definitively until we are on the ship.  If we disembark in QC I am NOT getting up at Dark O’clock to get on a bus to travel so I can travel.  Nuh uh.  No way.  Not happening. 

We decide to add a couple of nights in Montreal.  We like the food and the people are nice.  I can now book our flights.  Arrival in Boston the day before; departure from Montreal two days after.  I enter the flight details in my cruise documents to stop the HAL emails telling me to enter the flight details in my cruise documents.  

Speaking of long winters... My husband is a Southern boy when it comes to Northern climes.  Yesterday I received a fleece which I had ordered from Amazon for the trip.  It is currently 82f here so he was a bit puzzled.  And concerned.  I keep referring to this as our winter cruise.  Mostly it’s just to scare him but there is a little bit of truth behind it.  😈

29 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It will also be our first time in an Ocean View room.  And a Guarantee at that.  Scary.

I am rather hoping that we like an OV because Verandahs and Suites can get a little pricey.  I admit to being a bit nervous of the unknown.  But it will always remain the unknown if we don’t try it.

We did an OV gty for the Sea of Cortez in December (first time in an OV in 8 or so years -- verandahs and suites in the intervening time).  When prices dropped briefly after FP we could have moved to a verandah, and lost the perks we got on our booking.  We decided to stay with OV gty, and were VERY happy with our decision.  It was great 🙂  We are unlikely to book any other category going forward.

edited to add:  you're 4* right?  so comp'd laundry is available 😉  We went to the MDR for breakfasts, didn't miss the PG breakfast very much....

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 1

ROOM ASSIGNMENT

I was going use this paragraph to tell you all about how I was waiting for our room assignment and hoping for a chance at an upsell.  I was also waiting to hear back from my new PCC about a query I had but it looks like that’s not going to happen either.  I am rather disappointed in this new person so I suppose I will need to request a change.  But that’s a topic for another thread.

8 days prior to sailing we received our room assignment via an evening email.  We purchased an unobstructed FF Ocean View and have been assigned an unobstructed E Ocean View.  That’s 3 jumps up.  Not bad.  Mind you, I still don’t know what “bad” is for an OV so I am happy in my ignorance.  I am also a bit nervous.  Claustrophobia is not one of my finer points.

So anyway.... back to upsells and unresponsive PCC’s.  I was hoping to negotiate my way up to a verandah and was perusing availability when the room assignment came in.  Availability is non-existent.  It looks like we’ll be sailing with a full ship.  Dolphin deck forward it is.  It will seem strange to travel “up” to the venues instead of “down”.   On the bright side... we won’t need to fight for space in the elevators when we board.  We can use the stairs!

Must remember to print out my luggage tags.

7 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

We did an OV gty for the Sea of Cortez in December (first time in an OV in 8 or so years -- verandahs and suites in the intervening time).  When prices dropped briefly after FP we could have moved to a verandah, and lost the perks we got on our booking.  We decided to stay with OV gty, and were VERY happy with our decision.  It was great 🙂  We are unlikely to book any other category going forward.

edited to add:  you're 4* right?  so comp'd laundry is available 😉  We went to the MDR for breakfasts, didn't miss the PG breakfast very much....

That is super good news, Venn!  My husband has suggested the MDR for breakfast so we are going to give it a try.  😊

As an aside... does my font seem super large in my previous posts?  Or is it me?

I think you did fine!  We really REALLY enjoyed being able to watch the water from a closer viewpoint. 

Re: your PCC.  Definitely time for a new one!

YEAH your font does seem big. 😉

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

That is super good news, Venn!  My husband has suggested the MDR for breakfast so we are going to give it a try.  😊

As an aside... does my font seem super large in my previous posts?  Or is it me?

My eyes appreciate the large type :classic_wink:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I think you did fine!  We really REALLY enjoyed being able to watch the water from a closer viewpoint. 

I don’t know whether to be happy or scared!  😂

MEAL PLANS

Breakfast — We’re not fussed on room service breakfast and I am averse to buffets.  Alas, an Ocean View room does not have access to the Pinnacle Grill.  We are going to see what we think of the MDR breakfast instead.  I have a vague recollection of eating there, once, many years ago, and I don’t think my husband ever did, so this will be a new experience for us.  I hope it is serene and I am not forced to find a breakfast hack.

Supper — We really enjoyed having our evening meals in the Pinnacle Grill in September so we are doing that again.  One of the nights will be a Sel de Mer pop-up and we are looking forward to that.  We had to cancel the last one due to a bad experience on an EXC excursion. 

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Breakfast — We’re not fussed on room service breakfast and I am averse to buffets.  Alas, an Ocean View room does not have access to the Pinnacle Grill.  We are going to see what we think of the MDR breakfast instead.  I have a vague recollection of eating there, once, many years ago, and I don’t think my husband ever did, so this will be a new experience for us.  I hope it is serene and I am not forced to find a breakfast hack.

I  am also adverse to buffets, especially for breakfast.  I think you will enjoy the MDR for breakfast.  I think it is much more relaxing than a buffet.  Different daily options, always an American breakfast, Eggs Benedict, Egg white Omelet plus others.  Easy to add or subtract items.  My favorite place for a relaxing breakfast.

31 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I  am also adverse to buffets, especially for breakfast.  I think you will enjoy the MDR for breakfast.  I think it is much more relaxing than a buffet.  Different daily options, always an American breakfast, Eggs Benedict, Egg white Omelet plus others.  Easy to add or subtract items.  My favorite place for a relaxing breakfast.

Great news, Sharon!  Thank you!

the good thing is that you are on an R class ship.

the OV's on this are bigger than the Vista's and Signatures so I don't think you should trip over each other.  Same size as the Verandahs sans balcony.

You'll be fine.  Haven't been on the Zaandam but a couple of other R class ships and service in the Lido was nearly as good as the Prinsendam - a big difference between the Vistas and up.

Hope you have a great time and good move to spend some time in Montreal 🙂 

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

the good thing is that you are on an R class ship.

the OV's on this are bigger than the Vista's and Signatures so I don't think you should trip over each other.  Same size as the Verandahs sans balcony.

You'll be fine.  Haven't been on the Zaandam but a couple of other R class ships and service in the Lido was nearly as good as the Prinsendam - a big difference between the Vistas and up.

Hope you have a great time and good move to spend some time in Montreal 🙂 

Oh wow.  I had no idea of the room size!  I thought we’d be getting a little box.  This IS good news.  Thanks Kazu!

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I don’t know whether to be happy or scared!  😂

It's just a really different perspective, we feel more like we are on the ocean, more in-touch with it (uh-oh that sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? 😉 )   It's just different than the perspective from 5 or 6 decks higher.

Oh no, the OVs are not little boxes at all!  As kazu said, like a verandah room in size, without the verandah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

TRAVEL PLANNING

It has been a long winter, and a very late Spring up north, so the river/lake/sea levels are high this year.  It is doubtful that we will disembark in Montreal.  This makes planning a little challenging.  Do I gamble on disembarking in Quebec City?  All my instincts tell me that’s where we’ll be getting off but we won’t know definitively until we are on the ship.  If we disembark in QC I am NOT getting up at Dark O’clock to get on a bus to travel so I can travel.  Nuh uh.  No way.  Not happening. 

We decide to add a couple of nights in Montreal.  We like the food and the people are nice.  I can now book our flights.  Arrival in Boston the day before; departure from Montreal two days after.  I enter the flight details in my cruise documents to stop the HAL emails telling me to enter the flight details in my cruise documents.  

Speaking of long winters... My husband is a Southern boy when it comes to Northern climes.  Yesterday I received a fleece which I had ordered from Amazon for the trip.  It is currently 82f here so he was a bit puzzled.  And concerned.  I keep referring to this as our winter cruise.  Mostly it’s just to scare him but there is a little bit of truth behind it.  😈

Miss G as you have spent some time in Montreal do you have a hotel in mine we are staying a couple of days after as well but have never been there so any suggestions would be appreciated  BarbBob  

8 minutes ago, barbbob said:

Miss G as you have spent some time in Montreal do you have a hotel in mine we are staying a couple of days after as well but have never been there so any suggestions would be appreciated  BarbBob  

this is a few years ago (so you may need to check tripadvisor to see if the ratings have changed) but we stayed at an Embassy Suites that bordered old Montreal.  Because it wasn’t right in “old” Montreal it was a bit cheaper.

It was an easy walk and staff at the time were good and the room was great.

I’m sure Miss G has found something special 😉. But it’s a fall back if it helps.

• Like 1

Miss G I so enjoyed your last blog it was so great and funny!!! I hope that was the live thread you did! Was it you or I believe your sister on the plane taking a pic of someone sleeping?LOL If not I’m sorry for getting things confused🙄

We loved  the Zaandam did her twice once to Hawaii and The Sea if Cortez! Jacqui is right about the rooms! First trip we had a nice OV and the room was great! 2nd time we had a Vista suit and the room to us was the same size👍Rooms are bigger on the smaller R class.

BON VOYAGE MISS G!

and Aloha from Maui

Denise🌺

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, barbbob said:

Hi Barbbob.  We are Marriott people so tend to look at those options first.  This time we are booked at the Marriott Chateau Champlain.  

Previously we have stayed at the Residence Inn Montreal Downtown.  We had a great experience here and highly recommend it.  I don’t know if they still do it but they had a huge Managers evening social with so much good food that you wouldn’t even have to venture out for a meal.  Which, of course, you must because it’s Montreal!

We have also stayed at Le Centre Sheraton and that is also a good choice.  Quebec has amazing boutique hotels so I wouldn’t shy from any of those either.