SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

2 hours ago, semibeater said:

It looks like the water level is still too high at T1 and under the Jacques Cartier bridge as the bus schedule has been set from T3 to T1 on this trip on June 1. I hope that it goes down soon.  T3 is a dreary place😥

That is bad news,  we are planning to go to montreal saturday  to see the  ship.   T3 is far from T1. 😒

Thanks for sharing your super photos.  The Volendam had  (hopefully still has) a similar lovely ladies bathroom situated close to the upper level of the main dining room.

Hope  your stateroom is now clear of the fumes.

16 hours ago, IllinoisGirl1978 said:

It’s a carnival treat traditionally doused in powder sugar or ice cream with some kind of sauce like strawberry or chocolate.  The batter is slightly thinner than pancake and poured through a funnel 

Thank you for your reply.

17 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I have been trying to get the spelling of his name but keep missing it.  It is pronounced Thice (as in nice) but I believe it is spelled Thies.  I will verify before we leave.  He is such a lovely lovely young man.

His name is  Thijs , Dutch as can be... ( could even be spelled Tijs) but the pronunciation is the same.

He seems to live in the PG, always there and doing a great job !

18 hours ago, Cruise4food said:

Does this kind lady still work on ms Zaandam? She had an office just down the hallway from Explorations Cafe. 😉 🤔

Zaandam_Painting.jpg

She does!!

15 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for sharing your super photos.  The Volendam had  (hopefully still has) a similar lovely ladies bathroom situated close to the upper level of the main dining room.

Hope  your stateroom is now clear of the fumes.

Yes, thankfully the fumes had mostly cleared by the time we left port.  Too late for my headache and supper but all is well today!

6 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

His name is  Thijs , Dutch as can be... ( could even be spelled Tijs) but the pronunciation is the same.

Thank you so much, rotjeknor!!  Very much appreciated.  You have saved me from an awkward situation.  (At least it’s not a female, which is even more awkward when you’re trying to read their name tag.). Thijs it is!

DAY FIVE - CHARLOTTETOWN, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Today we tried the Lido for breakfast.  The first morning we tried the MDR.  It was okay if you don’t mind sitting within whispering distance of your neighbour.  The 2nd and 3rd mornings we had room service breakfast.  It confirmed that we are not room service breakfast people.  Turns out the Lido breakfast is the best fit as they have what we want.  We went at the very end of service to minimize running into crowds as that is my downfall.

Charlottetown has a cute little port area with shops and a lobster shack and such.  But if you head toward the church spires there is a lovely little downtown village.  ((Head out from the terminal to Water Street (the main road in front of the port), turn left, walk 3 short blocks, then turn right on Queen Street.))  There were restaurants and pubs of all types:  Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, fish and chips, seafood, you name it.  Shop till you drop, go to the theatre, or just get your nails done.

Our destination was the Shoppers Drug Mart, which can be accessed from Queen Street or from inside a 2-floor mini-mall.  We then stopped at Starbucks before walking the prom back to the ship.

39D4117B-B6EB-4978-A1D1-8CDD01E6FA6C.jpeg

0F581BC1-2B8D-42D5-BF5B-DCAFFEFA3C5A.jpeg

39C0265C-3E4E-4AB7-8E14-19E35D5FF38E.jpeg

7 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Thanks, rotjeknor  Another Dutchy to watch for on the ships.

Miss G:  Most readable blog and much appreciated.  Your writing is that rare combination of info, astuteness, great photos and wonderfully funny descriptions.  

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

One thing I like about our room is the curtain which separates the bed from the closets and The Head.  It helps to dull the noise from the hall and gives a sense of privacy.

It looks a little short in the pic, but this couch is actually full size.  It folds out to a bed.

C7B1BD69-171C-45BF-B252-6D1F7C77B0F3.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*

4 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks, rotjeknor  Another Dutchy to watch for on the ships.

Miss G:  Most readable blog and much appreciated.  Your writing is that rare combination of info, astuteness, great photos and wonderfully funny descriptions.  

Thank you so much, SilvertoGold!  You are too kind.

I so appreciate you sharing your cruise with us.  We are booked on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings on the Zaandam in 2020.  It is a very expensive cruise, and it pains me a bit to see the cabin so outdated, and TV's so small.  We are currently booked in an obstructed OV on Deck 3.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I so appreciate you sharing your cruise with us.  We are booked on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings on the Zaandam in 2020.  It is a very expensive cruise, and it pains me a bit to see the cabin so outdated, and TV's so small.  We are currently booked in an obstructed OV on Deck 3.

I know what you mean.  But what I’ve discovered is that there is a new flow to things with one of these rooms.  We are actually really enjoying having an OV and would do it again if it would make an otherwise unaffordable sailing affordable.  I love sitting in the window well watching the world and the sea go by.  My husband says I’m like a cat.  lol

The room is clean, cozy, and comfortable.  I found it a little frustrating, at first, not to be able to open the balcony door to check the weather before getting dressed.  But I have adjusted and it’s just not that big a deal anymore.

The TV is disappointing but we have adjusted to that too.  And we found the Wajang Theatre plays movies so if we are having big screen withdrawal we can head there.

I would be thrilled to be booked on your voyage in an OV, so please don’t fret!  That library is to die for and a great place to be when you want out of your room.  You’ll love it!

Edited by *Miss G*

You are a GEM.  Thank you for your encouragement.  You are going to laugh, as I misspoke. Our room is not on Deck 3 for the VOV cruise.  I confused it with our 51 Tales of the South Pacific on the Amsterdam later this year which IS on Deck 3 in an obstructed OV.  I had my outdated rooms/tv's confused, LOL.    On the VOV we have an obstructed OV on Deck 7(aft).  It has a nice public deck just steps away.

Wishing you a wonderful rest of the cruise.  The HAL crew is so special!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

DAY FIVE - CHARLOTTETOWN, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Today we tried the Lido for breakfast.  The first morning we tried the MDR.  It was okay if you don’t mind sitting within whispering distance of your neighbour.  The 2nd and 3rd mornings we had room service breakfast.  It confirmed that we are not room service breakfast people.  Turns out the Lido breakfast is the best fit as they have what we want.  We went at the very end of service to minimize running into crowds as that is my downfall.

Charlottetown has a cute little port area with shops and a lobster shack and such.  But if you head toward the church spires there is a lovely little downtown village.  ((Head out from the terminal to Water Street (the main road in front of the port), turn left, walk 3 short blocks, then turn right on Queen Street.))  There were restaurants and pubs of all types:  Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, fish and chips, seafood, you name it.  Shop till you drop, go to the theatre, or just get your nails done.

Our destination was the Shoppers Drug Mart, which can be accessed from Queen Street or from inside a 2-floor mini-mall.  We then stopped at Starbucks before walking the prom back to the ship.

39D4117B-B6EB-4978-A1D1-8CDD01E6FA6C.jpeg

0F581BC1-2B8D-42D5-BF5B-DCAFFEFA3C5A.jpeg

39C0265C-3E4E-4AB7-8E14-19E35D5FF38E.jpeg

Looks like you had a nice temperature

On 5/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, cruisingxpert said:

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if they still have Mondavi Spellbound Cabernet Sauvignon on the Ship.  Had it on the Veendam and really enjoyed it.

They have Spellbound!!!  $47 plus 15% service charge.  Lots in stock.

DAY SIX - GULF OF SAINT LAWRENCE/SAINT LAWRENCE SEAWAY

This morning we slept in because the clocks went back an hour last night.  This makes things super confusing when you don’t have a clock in your room.  You can’t just have breakfast any old time, you know!

My husband made it to the final game in the BlackJack tournament so he had a lot of fun.  The lady who won had the lowest score going in.  BUT she was the only one not to go all-in for the final deal.  The dealer got 21 and that is an automatic loss for everyone who bet down to their last chip.  They each got a t-shirt so that was nice.  The tournament dealer, Francisco (Cisco) was fabulous.  He was funny and cheerful and kept the crowd entertained.  He also ran the bingo.

Speaking of getting something.... or not.... No more Holland America bags!  Maybe they read all the posts from people calling them cheap and decided to pull them.

In Captain Smit’s address he told us to make sure we are back on board for the 4:00 pm sail-away as we have a tide schedule to maintain in order to fit under the bridge.  No word on which terminal we will be disembarking at, but at least we won’t have to bus it to Montreal.

Today I am going to take a page out of @rafinmd‘s book and leave you with a parting shot.  As we were departing Charlottetown on Wednesday we received word of the passing of a family member.  My request is that we always remember to be kind to one another as we never know what is happening in the lives of others.  They may be hanging on by a thread and that one unkind word you just made may just be enough to make their world come crashing down.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could treat each other as if they were a friend.  

Sailing by Gaspé:

77238D91-AE3D-4B32-A99B-382C1F7ACCEA.jpeg

• Like 2

My condolences on the loss of your family member.  Your words are very wise.  

On a MUCH lighter note....the Zaandam really is a beautiful ship.  Thank you for sharing with us.  I've really enjoyed it, and missed you yesterday.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

They have Spellbound!!!  $47 plus 15% service charge.  Lots in stock.

That's wonderful news about the wine.

I'm sorry though for the loss of your family member.  Very good comment about always having a kind word.

It's been lovely to follow your blog in anticipation of next week.

We got notice yesterday that the ship is docking at Terminal 3 so that's a good thing for all of us.

• Like 1