SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

Looking up from street level I never did notice the small floor level windows!  If you had a clear day you would have seen the mountain in the distance where I grew up as your windows were facing southeast.

The hotel has a lot of firsts, opened for Expo 67 the big fair to celebrate Canada’s centenary, it was the tallest building in the country.  Most people in Montréal still refer to it as the cheese grater!  It was also built in boxes, like a cruise ship with each bowed window being one prefabricated box.  That was another first.

I understand completely how you felt in The Queen E.  It is completely unacceptable.  The front desk harshly requested the name of my two children in 2014 so they would have been just shy of 10 and 13 and know how to behave themselves.  I naively thought they would send up cookies like they did at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa...Ha...little did I know the bathroom door couldn’t even open completely as it hit the toilet!

One and done.  We’ll try the Chateau Champlain next time!

Edited by 1of4
  • Like 1

Hubby & I will be on the Zaandam this coming August.  On our previous HAL cruises  on the Oosterdam and Statendam, we really enjoyed the entertainment in the Billboard on Board and BB King blues club. We particularly enjoyed the talented piano duo who played and sang everything from oldies to current country in the Billboard on Board lounge.  In looking at the deck plan of the Zaandam I can't find either of these venues and HAL's ship description only mentions music in the Main Stage and World stage.

Does anyone have any info about evening/nighttime music entertainment on the Zaandam?  

On 6/4/2019 at 7:09 PM, 1of4 said:

If you had a clear day you would have seen the mountain in the distance where I grew up as your windows were facing southeast

Was it these mountains?  We had binoculars so could see signs of habitation.  I was wondering what it was like out there.  I bet it was awesome growing up!

Thanks for the fun facts about the building!

62EDB398-FF5A-47BD-BB7C-11C86C82221B.jpeg

13 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

Hubby & I will be on the Zaandam this coming August.  On our previous HAL cruises  on the Oosterdam and Statendam, we really enjoyed the entertainment in the Billboard on Board and BB King blues club. We particularly enjoyed the talented piano duo who played and sang everything from oldies to current country in the Billboard on Board lounge.  In looking at the deck plan of the Zaandam I can't find either of these venues and HAL's ship description only mentions music in the Main Stage and World stage.

Does anyone have any info about evening/nighttime music entertainment on the Zaandam?  

There was lots of musical entertainment onboard the Zaandam.  No BB King’s or Billboard but they had dancing every night in the Crows Nest and music in the Ocean Bar and Explorers Lounge.  Always a good crowd at the venues.  Very popular.

Edited by *Miss G*

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

There was lots of musical entertainment onboard the Zaandam.  No BB King’s or Billboard but they had dancing every night in the Crows Nest and music in the Ocean Bar and Explorers Lounge.  Always a good crowd at the venues.  Very popular.

Thank you, so much, for the Zaandam entertainment info and for letting us tag along on your cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 5:56 AM, *Miss G* said:

Was it these mountains?  We had binoculars so could see signs of habitation.  I was wondering what it was like out there.  I bet it was awesome growing up!

Thanks for the fun facts about the building!

62EDB398-FF5A-47BD-BB7C-11C86C82221B.jpeg

Yes.  It was a beautiful place to grow up.  Here are a few pictures taken from people who still live in the area.

9AFAB8D8-92C5-4849-B8B8-41F655E5BAB2.jpeg

54835C5C-8AF6-4D25-B0FE-58202BC54767.jpeg

5BE6B5E6-C0A9-4A76-9C81-085CF241749E.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

although this thread is over a year old, I'd like to ask a question:  Is there any advantage for departing from Montreal or Boston?  We are an hour south of Montreal and 4 hours north of Boston.  I want to do this cruise, once the border and cruising in general open up.  We would have family either drop us off or pick us up in Montreal depending on which port we depart from.  We'd rent a car for transport to/from Boston.  Just wondering if there was any particular advantage for sailing one way over the other.  TIA