Sky Princess

ALWAYS CRUZIN

13 hours ago, LAS!!1414 said:

What year ????

I’d have to look at my Princess history but it was in the later 1980’s. A 10 day cruise in the Caribbean.

Just did a Google search and she was with Princess 1988-2000.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Star_(cruise_ship)

Edited by gotta cruise again

We are sailing on her in Sep 2020 to New England and Canada.  We have a balcony on deck 8 with a huge balcony.  Anxious to see what the cabin and balcony are like.  Has anyone else booked one of these balconies?

1 hour ago, molme said:

We are sailing on her in Sep 2020 to New England and Canada.  We have a balcony on deck 8 with a huge balcony.  Anxious to see what the cabin and balcony are like.  Has anyone else booked one of these balconies?

Are you talking about the E-111, E-115, and E-117?  The balconies are deep but nowhere near as deep as those on the forward-facing section of the Lido and Marina Decks.  They do look nice though and are better than the majority on the side of the ship.

5 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Are you talking about the E-111, E-115, and E-117?  The balconies are deep but nowhere near as deep as those on the forward-facing section of the Lido and Marina Decks.  They do look nice though and are better than the majority on the side of the ship.

Yes.  We are in E118.  The cabins on Lido and Marina deck are obstructed with a solid rail.

4 minutes ago, molme said:

Yes.  We are in E118.  The cabins on Lido and Marina deck are obstructed with a solid rail.

Yes - I've had them and the metal railing doesn't bother me one bit.  The balconies are massive - especially the minis in M-107, M-108 if either of those work for you instead.  The cabin has 2 separate rooms and is huge too - not at all like other minis. 

we've got one of the regular 'small' balconies - Riviera - mid aft - on the little 3 day cruise 12/4/19 ...

don't really expect to spend a ton of time out there, and hope to spend most time exploring this new ship and venues

but, yeah -the larger balconies would be very nice on the longer voyages ...

• Like 1

Just booked Southern Caribbean for Nov 30 2020.  Figure we needed reserve our preferred “big balcony” mid ship before they’re snapped Up.   We cruised the Royal when she was about a year old as well, and really loved getting that “first time on a ship let’s go explore oh boy oh boy” feeling we got with the new design that was familiar but different from our past Princess cruises.   Like many here we’ve cruised these ports before so the Sky will be the big destination draw for us - can’t wait!  

You need to book now. We booked July last year. it was already a problem trying to pick a cabin. We wanted E425. It was available. The very next day, after my wife and I desided to book it. That cabin was no longer available. We settled for E 429 Bummer. Wanted that slightly forward looking balcony not aft.

By the way. It indicated obstructive view. What I found out. Instead of glass below the railing it is metal. I can live with that. We do not sit on the balcony anyhow. Go out there to observe where we are or to look at the port. Really, the cabin for us is to sleep or change and out we go.

We were on the original Sky Princess in 1999, Alaska cruise round trip out of San Francisco. Nice smaller ship, our first Princess cruise. I believe it left the fleet a few years later.

We'll be on the 12/4/19 inaugural cruise

Edited by busterfla

Can anyone tell me which side OUTDOOR smoking areas are on Sky: port, starboard or both? Trying to book a balcony for someone with pretty severe asthma who doesn't react well to cigarette smoke. Hoping to book further away from outdoor smoking areas, as it still tends to drifts upward (just based upon my past experiences). Many thanks for any help. 

If outdoor smoking area are on both sides, any tips on which side may be the best of the two to book a cabin? Thank you again! 👍

Edited by Flafun888
spelling typo

On 5/25/2019 at 11:23 AM, twodaywonder said:

By the way. It indicated obstructive view. What I found out. Instead of glass below the railing it is metal. I can live with that. We do not sit on the balcony anyhow. Go out there to observe where we are or to look at the port. Really, the cabin for us is to sleep or change and out we go.

Where did you see this?  Doesn't make sense to me as Royal/Regal/Majestic have glass balcony wall.  IDK why they would change to metal in the mid-ship location.  I just initiated a fake booking on Sky and the cabin info did not indicate metal balcony wall.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:49 AM, milolii said:

Hi Geoffa30 and Frflatt, I responded to your post on another thread about this pic.  Very nice indeed! Thanks for the information.  Are you in one of these cabins? 

Looking forward to your blog and pics!  I would  be happy to follow your adventures.  

Is this one of the few foreword facing window/ocean view cabins on deck 17?   If so,  then the Window Suites on either side would have  similar windows? 

We we are on the July 22, 2020 cruise out of Copenhagen.   Oh, with a stop before in our 2nd favorite city in the world, London. Sorry, the first is our own San Francisco.  

Hi,

Geoff posted this picture of an ocean view room similar to one that we sailed in on Navigator of the Seas a couple of years ago - a really lovely panoramic ocean view.  We are on the Sky twice in the next year - Oct/Nov in a mini suite (M204) and in March in a club class mini suite (M107) which has two rooms and a forward facing balcony. 

I will definitely be blogging both trips and if you would like to read any of our previous blogs I would suggest our Norwegian cruise on Emerald Princess - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2302348-live-from-emerald-princess-norwegian-fjords-and-north-cape-6th-august-2016/?do=findComment&comment=49435885 or our recent Australia and New Zealand trip on the Majestic Princess which you can find at www.livinglifeonecruiseatatime.blogspot.com 

Enjoy London when you visit - we recently moved out of London to the south coast (near Southampton) - we loved San Francisco when we visited about 15 years ago and will definitely be back one day.

Happy travelling

Stephen

21 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Where did you see this?  Doesn't make sense to me as Royal/Regal/Majestic have glass balcony wall.  IDK why they would change to metal in the mid-ship location.  I just initiated a fake booking on Sky and the cabin info did not indicate metal balcony wall.

Before booking, My agent checked on what they meant about obstructed view for that cabin. That is what I was told. There are no Life boats to worry about for sure. Not that my agent is not just blowing wind. maybe. But I have been with that person for many years. It took him a while to find someone that knew. Hopefully, that person was not blowing wind. Either way. We will find out. Not a wall. Just from the railing down or a portion of it. What do you think is the obstruction?

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Before booking, My agent checked on what they meant about obstructed view for that cabin. That is what I was told. There are no Life boats to worry about for sure. Not that my agent is not just blowing wind. maybe. But I have been with that person for many years. It took him a while to find someone that knew. Hopefully, that person was not blowing wind. Either way. We will find out. Not a wall. Just from the railing down or a portion of it. What do you think is the obstruction?

Have you heard of "Renmar's" website with all the obstructed views from Princess ship cabins?  

Take a look there at some of the photos look out from cabins.

Also, take a look at exterior photos of Regal (or sisters), such as this one:

image.jpeg.b0e231989bac29aa3dba194575cd9c8e.jpeg

It is quite clear that all the balconies on Emerald deck have the same plexiglass fronts as on the other decks.  The balconies with solid metal walls are the forward ones.

PS - If your agent had to check, it is likely (s)he called Princess and it depends whether a Princess rep has any personal knowledge of the ships (many don't) and the rep probably just read standard Q&A verbiage.

Oh, sorry - you asked about the obstruction.  Well, if you look down from there, it is the Promenade exterior deck and not just the ocean.  At best, these cabins are partially obstructed, but most cruisers don't consider them really obstructed.  We are trying one out for the first time on June 1 (I switched from our usual Inside category and got a fab deal on a mid-ship Emerald balcony).

Edited by steelers36

6 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Have you heard of "Renmar's" website with all the obstructed views from Princess ship cabins?  

Take a look there at some of the photos look out from cabins.

Also, take a look at exterior photos of Regal (or sisters), such as this one:

It is quite clear that all the balconies on Emerald deck have the same plexiglass fronts as on the other decks.  The balconies with solid metal walls are the forward ones.

PS - If your agent had to check, it is likely (s)he called Princess and it depends whether a Princess rep has any personal knowledge of the ships (many don't) and the rep probably just read standard Q&A verbiage.

Great. than what does this mean when checking on the cabin. Balconies may have either solid steel or toughened glass railings. 

3 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Great. than what does this mean when checking on the cabin. Balconies may have either solid steel or toughened glass railings. 

I just did a pretend booking for SKY for Nov 2020.  For cabin E425, for example, it states: 

Stateroom Number: E425
Type: Balcony (Obstructed)
Category: BW
Deck: 8 (Emerald)
Bath Type: Shower
Connecting Room: N/A
Total Size: 252 sq. ft.

Special Notes:
PART OBSTRUCTED VIEW EXTENDED ANGLED BALC

In the small text below the cabin pricing pop-up window, it states " Stateroom views are considered unobstructed unless noted otherwise. Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like handrails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determined from the perspective of the balcony railing.".  This is the same text I have always seen. 

IDK where your text is from unless it is something your TA sent or put in your invoice.  I wouldn't worry about this.  The proof and truth is in actual photos and eye-witnesses.  There are several cabins on Princess ships with no outward obstruction and the only obstruction is when looking down from the vicinity of the railing.

The deck plans show solid decking with perimeter seating - no skywalk.  I think there is also a reference to the sky Princess not having skywalk In a publicity release, but I can’t remember which one.

47 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Will Sky Princess have the seawalk like Regal and Royal?

The Princess website doesn't have the Seawalk listed as an "activity" for Sky Princess unlike her sister ships so assume not.

Thank you to all who responded about skywalk info.  I have not been or Regal or Royal; so after I sail Sky; will book one of the others so I can walk the walk

Edited by AF-1