Aft verandah Niew Statendam

9 hours ago, northernphoenix said:

Planning to cruise the Mediterranean 2020, previously enjoyed Neptune Suites,  veranda, Lanai, and interior rooms.  We would appreciate any experiences that would recommend reserving an aft veranda.

Me too, but I already reserved one.🙂

The upside is the view of the wake. If you like to sit on your veranda and watch the ocean, this is the best view IMO. The wake is mesmerizing! Depending on which deck you're on, you may have a deeper than usual balcony. Not the huge balconies of the Vista ships, but I think they're deeper than side balconies.

The downside is that you're at one end of a large ship. It's a long walk to the gym and spa,  Crows Nest, and World Stage. Another downside I found on the K is that the ship didn't ride well at the back. Slapped the waves in a "following sea" (waves approaching from behind) and something about the azipods caused the ship to "shimmy" a lot. Being at the ends of a ship always has the most motion, but I felt it more aft on K than I had on the vistas. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

We just returned from a week (Dec. 22-29, 2019)in cabin 6210 on Niew Statendam.  3 to the room -- husband, 20-year-old college son and I.  This is the Port corner aft Neptune Suite, deck 6 (Mozart).  Loved it!  We've stayed in a similar aft Neptune Suite on the Eurodam as well. 

I do highly encourage you to book and aft cabin if you like the view and little wind on the veranda.  It's cool, too, to see where you've been!  I've never done a Verandah category room in the back, so cannot comment specifically regarding the balcony.

Major verandah highlight of 6210 is that it wraps around the back and side of the ship so you get aft and port views.  It's the same depth as the other balconies on deck 6, but we noticed that deck 5 balconies have extended deck room on the back (maybe 2 feet).  The 6210 verandah will comfortably hold a nice bon voyage group of 8-10 people.  There is a little dining table (perfect for morning coffee service) and 2 dining chairs, 2 chairs with separate footrests and a cocktail table between them and 2 chaises to choose from while relaxing.  While at sea, the port side was super windy but the aft was not as the ship blocks the wind.  While in port, we could get a good view of the area and enjoyed just sitting out on the balcony watching the activity.    The Caribbean sunsets and sunrises were amazing as well.  And, because we were in the back of the ship, we could see both EVERY night!

Oh, regarding motion sickness -- our family is not affected by swells but we didn't have a lot of rolling and we did sail through weather (one of our ports was actually cancelled because of storm).  The noise of the engines was more of a bother -- actually the rattling in the room that was caused by the engines.  We all slept through the night, however.  The Niew Statendam, as you know, is the largest ship size of the fleet and it has great stabilization, IMO.

Happy sailing!

Edited by ElleZ