Cruise Critic Community
SargassoPirate

Multiple OBCs - Which Are Used First?

On an upcoming cruise, I have two types of OBCs, one of which is an OBC from Princess because I booked during a sale. It came with several restrictions in how it can and cannot be used. The other is from my travel agency and I can have the unused balance refunded.

In planning for excursions and a daily cocktail or two, we are unlikely to use all of the total amount of the combined OBCs.

My question is, which OBC will Princess use first for on board spending?  I'm hoping that if there is a balance left, it's from the refundable OBC.

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

On an upcoming cruise, I have two types of OBCs, one of which is an OBC from Princess because I booked during a sale. It came with several restrictions in how it can and cannot be used. The other is from my travel agency and I can have the unused balance refunded.

In planning for excursions and a daily cocktail or two, we are unlikely to use all of the total amount of the combined OBCs.

My question is, which OBC will Princess use first for on board spending?  I'm hoping that if there is a balance left, it's from the refundable OBC.

Princess uses the non-refundable credits first.

Yes - they will use the non-refundable OBC first.

Really no restrictions. OBC is just a credit to your on board account. Any on board expense nets against the credit balance. 

48 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

On an upcoming cruise, I have two types of OBCs, one . . . came with several restrictions in how it can and cannot be used. The other is from my travel agency and I can have the unused balance refunded.

Even when Princess states restrictions on OBC, in practice we have never seen any restrictions on how OBC can or cannot be used.  As others have stated, when you have both refundable and non-refundable OBCs, they will use the non-refundable OBC first.

Thanks one and all.  Ordinarily OBCs would not be an issue, but we received pre-paid gratuities with the booking and suddenly realized we were sitting on too much OBCs.  Nice problem.  Maybe I'll splurge on an extra scotch or several.

18 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks one and all.  Ordinarily OBCs would not be an issue, but we received pre-paid gratuities with the booking and suddenly realized we were sitting on too much OBCs.  Nice problem.  Maybe I'll splurge on an extra scotch or several.

My wife is still laughing that anyone would think that there was such a thing as too much OBC. She ranks it right up there with Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. 😁

44 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Even when Princess states restrictions on OBC, in practice we have never seen any restrictions on how OBC can or cannot be used.

29 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks one and all.  Ordinarily OBCs would not be an issue, but we received pre-paid gratuities with the booking and suddenly realized we were sitting on too much OBCs. 

Just to clarify, my statement referred to no restrictions on On Board Credits.  Pre-paid gratuities are handled differently.  These are not posted as OBCs so they can't be used for other purposes. At least, that is my experience. I think you understand, and it makes no difference for your situation.  It might matter for someone else who reads this thread.

Posted (edited)

I am glad someone asked this question, as I am in the same boat. When do OBCs from your TA show up on your account? Or if I look on my Princess.com account, where should they show up? 

I see my OBC for shareholder benefits under “payments & credits” and assumed my TA credits would also show up here? 

Oddly enough, i went to “onboard reservations” last night and saw “on board credit” purchased by my TA but only $100.00. It shows I can hit cancel on it and supposedly get a refund. The credit I am supposed to get is quite a bit more than that? 

Will the remainder show up when i’m on board? 

Also so on a side note, it says that we are celebrating our anniversary on board (it happens to fall in that time) do they actually give you anything?

Edited by dearinger

Additional TA OBC may come as a Gift noted by  card in your cabin upon arrival and not on your Personalizer..

9 minutes ago, dearinger said:

I am glad someone asked this question, as I am in the same boat. When do OBCs from your TA show up on your account? Or if I look on my Princess.com account, where should they show up? 

I see my OBC for shareholder benefits under “payments & credits” and assumed my TA credits would also show up here? 

It may depend on how your TA gives you the OBC.  We never see it on the personalizer before the cruise.  It always appears on our account after we board.  It is always there by day 2, and usually there on the first day.  Sometimes we also get a gift card in our room like @MCC retired mentioned.

13 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Additional TA OBC may come as a Gift noted by  card in your cabin upon arrival and not on your Personalizer..

If that’s the case, then I have no idea what this is on my account..

FE402286-CEAC-4D08-83CC-CCD079EB5ECA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, dearinger said:

If that’s the case, then I have no idea what this is on my account..

FE402286-CEAC-4D08-83CC-CCD079EB5ECA.jpeg

Some show and some do not until you are onboard.

This looks like a travel agents promo obc (possible group)

Not sure why it gives you an option to cancel it if it was not purchased by you.

31 minutes ago, dearinger said:

Also so on a side note, it says that we are celebrating our anniversary on board (it happens to fall in that time) do they actually give you anything?

At dinner in the MDR waiters will sing and you'll get a special cake or some other special dessert. Not sure how they handle this in Anytime Dining.

2 hours ago, dearinger said:

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

At dinner in the MDR waiters will sing and you'll get a special cake or some other special dessert. Not sure how they handle this in Anytime Dining.

You will get a "Happy Anniversary" decoration on your--possibly, with balloons.

To expand, a bit, on beg3yrs response, on our anniversary cruise a few years ago we found a voucher in our cabin with instructions to present it to our server in any of the dining rooms or specialty restaurants on any day (not necessarily our anniversary day) for the special dessert.  My understanding is that if you prefer not to have the singing, they will honor that request,

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

You will get a "Happy Anniversary" decoration on your--possibly, with balloons.

To expand, a bit, on beg3yrs response, on our anniversary cruise a few years ago we found a voucher in our cabin with instructions to present it to our server in any of the dining rooms or specialty restaurants on any day (not necessarily our anniversary day) for the special dessert.  My understanding is that if you prefer not to have the singing, they will honor that request,

Thanks, thats good to know the singing is optional. We don’t want that type of attention and if that was going to be the case, I was going to remove it from my Princess account. 

16 minutes ago, dearinger said:

Thanks, thats good to know the singing is optional. We don’t want that type of attention and if that was going to be the case, I was going to remove it from my Princess account. 

How embarrassing.

I do proof read my essays prior to posting, and, believe it or not. I was not PUI for the above.

The first sentence should be:

You will get a "Happy Anniversary" decoration on your cabin door--possibly, with balloons.

Have a great cruise.

One hard and fast rule you should never violate.  If you have a question/issue about your bill, get it resolved BEFORE you leave the ship.  Do not let anyone tell you that HQ will fix your bill.   Get an accurate bill in your hands BEFORE you leave the ship.

Read this note at least three times...and then print it out and put it in your luggage.