A Wind around the British Isles

drron29

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

Also knows the details of the new ships.After the Silver Moon,Silver Dawn and Origin there will be 3 further 600 pax vessels with a new design with a demarcation between decks for restaurants/entertainment and decks which will be all suites.The larger suites will be moving to the stern.  First due 2022/23.

Projected but no contracts signed then for 2 ~ 150 pax Expedition ships and 2 ~250 pax Expedition ships.

Great intel Dr. Ron!  Much, much more than was previously known.  Thx for sharing with us.

12 hours ago, drron29 said:

But Rosepark he didn't know when the muster will be for the June 9th sailing.

Thanks drron, too kind, if Bro has to witness the life jacket and the Seven Dwarves walk to the lift boats, I will cope. How come, though, the urge to tease siblings is irresistible, even though we are both practically drawing our pensions? I have a feeling we will be doing this beyond the grave...

Hope all continues to go well- apart from the yucky bacon- and thanks again for taking the time to enquire

Rp

No problem rp.And if any others on the cruise want to post feel free.These threads are also meant to give out information and tips.

So now to Day 5.Dublin.We were going to take a tour to Powerscourt Gardens but it had basically been cancelled as Prince Charles was visiting that day.So we just took the shuttle into the CBD.We usually do this as I think it is important to actually get some exercise rather than sitting in a coach for hours unless it really is interesting.Besides using this cruise as a bit of a guide to possibly driving in Ireland in the future.

Everything was right with breakfast today but the bacon hasn't improved so decided this will be the last day I order it

From the shuttle drop off point we first went to Trinity College.The first available tickets to the Book of Kells was for 1330.It was now just after 1000.We found out if you book online you get straight in and a little cheaper.So when we get back that's what we will do.Walked around the grounds and went in to the crowded gift shop.

Walked the Pedestrian mall up to a park where the male pigeons certainly knew it was spring.Then to the castle and memorial gardens for the Garda which were beautiful.On to the Cathedral and then the long way back to the shuttleIt looked very dark so we decided to go back to the ship.As soon as we got on the bus the rain came down.

Then the problem in the main restaurant where they didn't want to serve us at 1327 when it sates the last sitting at 1330.We did get lunch there though.After lunch it was time for a rest.It poured rain for a while.

!700 and off to trivia.Only 2 teams as most out on tours.We joined a team that always ran last.Turned it around with 32/35 and a resounding win.On a high I then one the putting for the day with 2 i shot holes.

Dinner again was a great night with some American women and a British couple.Then straight back to the suite and ebtered the land of nod.

• Like 3

Day 6.Belfast.

A nice omelette for breakfast and no bacon so perfect.Once again we opted to just take the ship's shuttle in to the CBD.Liked the sound of the Giant Causeway tour.But it was 8.5 hours and I didn't like the sound of that.

Dropped off at City Hall.Unfortunately setting up for their 4 day Spring Fair so no access to the front lawns and view spoilt by many trucks.Then walked to the Cathedral stopping off for a Starbucks on the way.Yes we definitely not coffee connoisseurs.

From the Cathedral walked down to the river to see the "big fish"!then along the river before circling back to the shuttle pick up point.

Lunch at the grill.A burger for rojaan and a reuben for me.Once again an afternoon nap.

Second at trivia-the winners were the team we helped to their first win the day before.Amazing what a bit of confidence can do.Another win at the putting.A young fellow who obviously is a golfer should have one but he blew the last whole.

Then an excellent dinner at :Hot Rocks"We love it.

• Like 2

Day 7.Tobermory.

Breakfast and mrsdrron solved the bacon problem in the MDR partially.She decided to order American bacon crispy style even though not a menu choice.Not what we would prefer but better than the watery tasteless bacon we have been getting.

Took our time and went ashore on the 1000 tender.A pretty town but cold and windy.Interesting stores but no purchases made.

One of the hotel restaurants had an interesting menu so wew thought we would have lunch in town.Went in at noon and was told they opened at half twelve.Went back at 1230 and were seated.Waitress brought us water and menu.Then told us not all supplies had arrived yet but she would go and talk to the chef to see what wasn't available.About 5 minutes later she came back and said the cook hasn't arrived yet.So what wouldn't be available-oysters,mussels,scallops,crab claws,langoustines and lobster.All the things we were considering.So we left.

Rojaan went back to the ship and had room service while I decided to go on the Lighthouse walk.The sun came out and it was a lovely walk.Some fantastic scenery,lots of wildflowers and the lighthouse was very photogenic.Met up with a young Aussie who was a great AFL fan-Australian football.Lovely fellow who was with his grandmother for the cruise.

I got back to the town and decided I didn't want to rush for the 1430 tender which was at the other end of town so i went to the Fish and Chip van on their fishing wharf.Got some fried scallops for GBP 9.50.Only 4 scallops but very large,juicy and tasted great.Walked back to the tender wharf to find they had changed the tender times and i arrived just as the 1445 tender was loading.

Once again second in trivia but I bombed out in the putting.

Dinner in the MDR with a couple from Washington State and a Swiss gentleman.A great night.

I decided to try the Indian curries as the sous chef is Indian.Had a Goan fish curry as an appetiser and a spicy lamb Rogan Josh.Both were very good and for a change really spicy.I loved it.

Off to bed as usual to get ready for Stornoway,Isle of Lewis in the morning.

• Like 2

Fantastic write-ups Dr. Ron!  

When end you plan to make it back to Ireland, we’ll be ready to help however we can.  Giants Causeway is a must see in our book, along with the rope bridge and old castle along the route.

There is the most incredible Irish Manor in the center of the country that I think you and Rojann would enjoy.

Thanks for continuing to post!  Hopefully, they’ll get your bacon sorted out before the Gibbs family boards in a few days. 😉

Just now catching up.  We are in Dublin getting ready to embark on the Cloud this am.  Hope their bacon situation is better.  If not, I guess I should be grateful for avoiding the extra calories.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2019 at 6:04 AM, drron29 said:

!700 and off to trivia.Only 2 teams as most out on tours.We joined a team that always ran last.Turned it around with 32/35 and a resounding win.On a high I then one the putting for the day with 2 i shot holes.

What are you aiming for? The T-shirts or the caps?  I can make you a good offer after the WC 🙂

• Haha 2

Now sailing towards Lerwick after a wonderful tour in The Isle of Lewis. Our guide was a retired Police Detective. Along with commentary on the Island’s history, (Viking) geology, (rocky and how), customs, (warm and neighborly) economy (tourism based) religions (mostly Protestant), our guide told us colorful stories about his police work. I thought he was terrific!

A few words about entertainment on board...a bit of a catch up as i’m going to include the previous cruise’s, specifically the three lecturers. On the crossing we had Niki Sepsas on History of the British Isles, a florist who had done a lot of work for The Royal Household and wasn’t shy about sharing, which made his talks a bit gossipy and fun. We also had an English lady whose name I have shamefully forgotten. She lectured on Musical Theater/cinema and she, her film clips and musical examples, were an interesting, sometimes truly nostalgic, dance down memory lane. It was good, entertaining line up.

more later..I’m late for a port info presentation...

• Like 3

Following all threads Wind with excitement.  I had posted awhile back when we first booked for June 22.   It is my dh's and my first Silversea cruise.  Circumstances have changed as my Mom passed away last week and we asked my Dad if he would like to join us. He said yes. So he is coming with us, he will be 95 in September but is active.  My new questions are related to him. He has a suit (grey) and will wear all 3 formal nights.  On informal nights can he wear that jacket with a turtleneck or polo or does it have to be a button down shirt?  He likes buffet for breakfast and lunch is there a buffet for both? We embark on the 22nd but do not leave until 5:30 am the next morning, so I know we have to do a safety drill but how does it work as far as getting on board and then being able to go out into London?  He asked about getting krones for Norway and Denmark (we are staying a couple of days in Copenhagen)? Is anyone going to be on that cruise?  I thank you for all I have learned from all of you!

• Like 1

First of all I send you my condolences. And I want to share how I handled a terrible loss as I have been somewhat in your father’s shoes. When my husband died we had an upcoming back to back cruise to SE Asia we had planned for over the Christmas holidays. After much agonizing, I decided to go. It was the right decision and even though I had doubted I could get through both the loss and the leaving, I know that going helped me very much. I hope getting away with you and your husband will really help your Dad. I feel sure that it will. I salute his decision.

• Like 3

Amomx5 sorry for your loss.

But great that you are taking your dad.I am sure it will help him.I will ask the Maitre'D tonight whether they will let a 95 year old into the formal nights with what your dad has.

Sorry to hear your loss, though great your dad is coming along with you. I'm sure you'll have a great time and will be a good experience at such a sad time.

Is the suit dark? If yes,it should be fine. That said, I don't think you will have any problem wearing it with shirt and tie even if light. Informal, should be ok. It does say tie is optional, but would say that probably is meant with a button down shirt.

As you probably know already, The Grill and La Terrazza are more relaxed on dress code. Certainly The Grill, its casual every night.

Breakfast and Lunch in La Terrazza is buffet - and is very good, so that box is ticked.

The drill will probably be at 6pm the previous evening. Once you have boarded, you are free to leave the ship to sightsee during the afternoon or even at night...But the muster drill is compulsory.  May I suggest a trip up the sky garden which is a 10 minute walk from the Tower docking point....  Well worth a visit, great views over London and the Wind below .... and free. Booking for the 22nd should be open on Monday morning 27 May (UK time).... though is a bank holiday, so maybe the next.... It does book fast though usually. And wont hurt even if you decide you dont want to visit on the day. Drron posted a photo from it of the wind a few days ago.

Yes, he will need currency if you intend to spend.... but I also tend to use a credit card that gives me great rates so not always necessary. I'm not on this one.... but doing a similar one next year, but in reverse. Doesn't go as far north as you go, so quite jealous. Shame its an early morning start from London.... but still worth seeing I think. Have a great time and dont be afraid to ask away..... 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

Thank you all so much for both the condolences and the information.  My Dad has a medium grey suit and bow ties to wear for formal night but asked about the jacket with a turtleneck for the informal nights. I know this is the right thing for him as their 71st anniversary is (would have been) July 6th when we arrive in Copenhagen.  My dh and I have been to the Skygarden and love the views, I was thinking of taking him but could not figure out which day (we are there for 3 days before) so it is good to know it is close to where the Wind is docked. Our family lived in many countries growing up (I was born outside London) and traveling is in our blood, my Dad has not been to Norway or Copenhagen so he is looking forward to that. He was my Mom's caretaker these last few years so I am looking forward to him having a little pampering, he wants to do a massage!  I love these boards!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drron29 said:

I decided to try the Indian curries as the sous chef is Indian.Had a Goan fish curry as an appetiser and a spicy lamb Rogan Josh.Both were very good and for a change really spicy.I loved it.

Glad to hear that. On our Whisper WC segments all the curries were good, but the Lamb Rogan Josh was excellent and almost up to the standard of our local Nepalese.

Day 8.Stornoway,Isle of Lewis.

Breakfast in our suite.Blueberry pancakes so no bacon needed.I then headed out to do the Lews castle walk.An interesting walk around the harbour and hearing of the herring fishery.Also the sad story of the North Hebrides men returning from WW1 whose ship,Iolaire, sank close to shore in early November 1918.201 of the 280 on board died as the seas were treacherous with a severe gale.Worse many on the Island were upset that some survived whilst their sons died so many of the survivors ended up emigrating..

Then a walk around the castle gardens.Looked a little bare in places as they have ripped out many of the rhododendrons as they are not native and choked off other growth.The castle is still having extensive renovations.The Stornoway Trust didn't have the money for the needed repairs so today the castle is a Natural Retreats property with upmarket apartment rentals.

The castle looks good from the outside but little internally is from the 1800s.It was built in 1844-51 by William Matheson who made his fortune by supplying China with opium.His company-Jardine Matheson still exists.

I was going to have tea and scones in what I presumed would be a Scottish cafe.It was in fact a Starbucks so I walked back to town instead.In truth there is no need to do the ship's excursion as the castle is close to town and admission to the castle and grounds is free.

I was going to walk around town for a while but it was bitterly cold and the rain became more constant and heavier so back to the ship for lunch which we had in the main dining room.

The team bombed out in trivia but I salvaged some points coming third in the putting.

It was a formal night and the Venetian Society cocktail reception.We had dinner with the Chief Engineer in La Terraza.I would prefer the MDR on formal nights.

Tonight the ship is rock and rolling.Some people are feeling it but we think it isn't that bad.Hopefully the weather improves tomorrow for our visit to the Shetlands.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, amomx5 said:

My Dad has a medium grey suit and bow ties to wear for formal night but asked about the jacket with a turtleneck for the informal nights.

Jacket with turtle neck or polo shirts will be just fine.  Have a wonderful time pampering your pop!

First of all I send you my condolences. And I want to share how I handled a terrible loss as I have been somewhat in your father’s shoes. When my husband died we had an upcoming back to back cruise to SE Asia we had planned for over the Christmas holidays. After much agonizing, I decided to go. It was the right decision and even though I had doubted I could get through both the loss and the leaving, I know that going helped me very much. I hope getting away with you and your husband will really help your Dad. I feel sure that it will. I salute his decision.

• Like 1