4 night cruise, what’s your packing list like?

Hi, we are leaving in 2 weeks on a 4 night cruise and I am having  a hard time realing it in! Just wondering what others pack? # of Outfits, formal/ dinning room attire, swim, shoes, bags, etc?

any ideas appreciated 

Haven't done a short cruise but for long weekends - probably 2 dresses, 1 pr shorts, 1 pr pants, 4 tops, cardigan, 2 scarves, 2 pr shoes. Assuming warm destination? Add bathing suit & maybe additional dress to use as pool coverup.....

• Like 1

We are going to the Bahamas.  We usually do 7 night cruises, but we are going to be in Orlando for 3 nights prior to cruise but plan on packing separately for that. I was wondering if a shorter cruise will be more casual?

I’ve done a couple of mini cruises, and I tend to keep it very simple.

You’ll probably need to check with the cruise line for what the dress code is. My mini cruises had a formal night, so I took an appropriate dress, but apart from that, if I was going on your cruise I’d take a pair of shorts and a couple of t shirts for the days, my swimwear and a cover up, and a pair of light weight trousers and a couple of pretty tops for the evening. I’d take one pair of evening sandals and one pair of day sandals. That’d be it, apart from underwear 

4 T-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 of my Athleta skirts, my Little Black T-shirt Dress (works for any evening, even formal), bathing suit, running shorts (works over my tankini bottom), trail runners, 4 pairs socks,  one of my pair of Jambu shoes (dual function for day and night).  

Wait - that's what I'm packing for my vacation that starts Thursday to Florida!!!!!  A week long (I'll wash shirts and undies to get through the week) trip...

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, jacksmom09 said:

Hi, we are leaving in 2 weeks on a 4 night cruise and I am having  a hard time realing it in! Just wondering what others pack? # of Outfits, formal/ dinning room attire, swim, shoes, bags, etc?

any ideas appreciated 

Hi😁every short cruise I have been on has always been more casual but you can check with your cruise line. Nothing formal for me. Dinner? Pants...2 pairs and maybe 3 tops. Daytime bathing suit and coverup and capris and t shirts. 2 pair of sandals. Minimum stuff for a short cruise.

Just off a 4 Day out of Long Beach. It was a cool itin, never got above 72.

Inc;uding what I wore to board---

Almost all bottoms are navy, variety of top colors

1 skort

2 pants

7 tops

2 bras

1 thin cardigan

1 heavy hoodie

1 sleep shirt and short

underwear

1 sandals

1 ballet flats

1 purse (Carnival D/P gray sling bag)

1 tote bag

black pants, pretty jacket, tank top (could have simply brought a pretty top) for Elegant night

Other stuff includes medical kit, electronics kit, toiletries.

Honestly, I wouldn't bring much more for a 7 day cruise.  Maybe add in sneakers and some socks.

For me, a 4 or 5 day cruise is treated like an easy, casual getaway.  I like to look put together, but in no way do I try to "dress to impress."  I'm doing a 5 night Caribbean cruise in a month.  We will spend an entire day sightseeing in Havana, and will get off for lunch in Key West; the rest of the time will be casual/pool attire onboard.  We don't do formal night anymore, usually get room service for breakfast so don't need to get dressed for that.  This is approximately what I'll take:

Days:  2 swimsuits and a coverup, 1 or 2 pair of shorts and a couple of tanks, a Columbia PFG sundress (quick dry type fabric)

Evenings:  White pants with 2 tops, a casual sundress, a maxi dress.  I'll wear something twice

Shoes:  A pair of nude wedges for evenings, a pair flip flops for days, maybe another pair of flat sandals

Bags:  a crossbody bag to take ashore, a small-ish vinyl tote for the pool, a wristlet for evening (doubles as a wallet inside my crossbody when we go ashore)

Jewelry and other accessories:  I probably won't take any jewelry beyond the basic stuff I wear every day (my rings, diamond studs, 1 necklace, 1 or 2 bracelets); no belt needed with the pants/shorts I'm taking, and no scarves or anything

Misc:  a hat or visor for the pool, minimal make-up and toiletries, will decide on the spur of the moment if I want to take workout clothes or not

• 4 weeks later...

Two pair of slacks or a skirt and slacks and four tops for dinner, a bathing suit and cover up, four shorts and four casual tops, two bras, four undies, a lightweight sweater or wrap, PJ's, a pair of sandals, a pair or sport sandals/water shoe combo, a pair of flip flops, a couple pieces of jewelry, that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my packing list for a 5 night Cabo Getaway out of LA in October:

wearing on plane: dressier jeans, top, sweater, blue skecher flats 

Packed in back pack:

5 changes underwear 

Swimsuit

Capris, top, sandals

Navy dress with capelet shawl modified to wear 2 ways, dress sandals

That actually gives me 6 outfits for 5 nights 👍

10 hours ago, clo said:

I'll confess here that at home and traveling I'll wear a bra more than once 🙂

That is no big deal to me.….so do I...bras are one thing, underwear? Now that is another story:classic_biggrin:.....I bring plenty of those.......they are very easy to pack and I would much rather have way too many than not enough LOL

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

That is no big deal to me.….so do I...bras are one thing, underwear? Now that is another story:classic_biggrin:.....I bring plenty of those.......they are very easy to pack and I would much rather have way too many than not enough LOL

I don't have to pack too many undies - it's a quick task as part of my nightly bathroom routine to wash them, along with a few shirts.  I pack minimalist, so a few less undies means space for something else.   I will take 2 bras - those hot and humid days and trail running (if I find a good one) will quickly render the bra unusable!!  I don't take any tops which require a special bra (racerback, strapless), so no big deal to wear either one.

Solid color T-shirt dress - 2

Short sleeve top - 2

Long sleeve top - 1

Convertible cargo pants - 1 pair

Skorts - 1 pair 

Walking shoes - 1 pair

Flip flops - 1 pair

Swimwear - 1

Coverup - 1

Underwear

That list includes embarking and disembarking wear.  

Edited by Cruising Latitude

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I don't have to pack too many undies - it's a quick task as part of my nightly bathroom routine to wash them, along with a few shirts.  I pack minimalist, so a few less undies means space for something else.   I will take 2 bras - those hot and humid days and trail running (if I find a good one) will quickly render the bra unusable!!  I don't take any tops which require a special bra (racerback, strapless), so no big deal to wear either one.

As they say, different strokes:classic_biggrin:....I don't consider myself an overpacker but I have no desire to wash clothes while I am on a cruise (even if it is undies). I admit it, I am very lazy on a cruise. Doing laundry is not part of my routine while on vacation.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Lois R said:

As they say, different strokes:classic_biggrin:....I don't consider myself an overpacker but I have no desire to wash clothes while I am on a cruise (even if it is undies). I admit it, I am very lazy on a cruise. Doing laundry is not part of my routine while on vacation.

I sail on Princess so I'll just have them do my laundry 1/2 way thru

The rest of the cruisers on our 4 day Bahamas cruise were very casual except for a few other couples like us who obviously like to dress for dinner.  Hubby brought a sport jacket and two coordinating pants (sort of jean styled but in dressier fabrics) with 2 dress shirts and three different ties.  I had a couple of classy-short cocktail dresses and a couple other cute ones that were not sun-type dresses.  I don't take my good jewellery on any trips, I have semi precious stones to wear instead.  I took a couple of wedge soled dress shoes/sandals as I have an unstable ankle from a previous injury and can't wear stilettos any more 😭.  Other than that we packed the usual undies/socks, swimsuits, shorts, tops, sweaters (for air con), sport shoes and sandals.  We also had jeans and rain jackets and a few other pieces with us because we were actually doing the cruise in the middle of a 2 week vacation on land.  It all fit in our suitcases and carry-ons and in our RCL ocean view cabin, anyhow.

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

I sail on Princess so I'll just have them do my laundry 1/2 way thru

That is my usual way to do it..no matter who I am sailing. I let the cruise line do it for me (if I want laundry done).

I did a month-long business trip (including suits and Dansko work clogs) where I kept my bag weight at 34lbs. My tops were all multi-purpose - I could wear them under my suit jacket and also for my after work/before work (depending on shift) shirt.  T-shirts and tank tops.  I did a little hand laundry every other night.  The housekeeping staff got used to seeing the laundry line across the tub with clothes hanging.  It was only maybe 5 minute out of my life every other night - not a big thing for me.   Maybe it's my history of camping and long-distance backpacking which taught me it was better to do a little hand washing than carry that extra bulk and weight.   

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Maybe it's my history of camping and long-distance backpacking which taught me it was better to do a little hand washing than carry that extra bulk and weight.   

Aha! Maybe that's where my affinity for carry-on-only comes from!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1