Anyone else annoyed with Ncl decrease in amenities?

hladygirl

In an inside cabin by myself on the Gem.  

No towel animal ( which is fine) no coffee maker, and no ice bucket. Felt like the lower class cruise ship passenger. I now am learning from cruise critic that this is now the policy for inside cabins. Talk about going back to the old time when the low class passengers were called steerage. That is how I felt on this cruise. Some of the cabins were still getting there rooms cleaned at 2:30 in the afternoon. NCL has really taken a down turn with all their cutbacks and price increases. Without towel animals, coffee maker and ice bucket what does my room steward do for me? Nothing other than give me towels and make my bed. For the price they are now charging I have to look at other cruise lines. The service is no longer there.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, hladygirl said:

No towel animal ( which is fine) no coffee maker, and no ice bucket. Felt like the lower class cruise ship passenger. I now am learning from cruise critic that this is now the policy for inside cabins. Talk about going back to the old time when the low class passengers were called steerage. That is how I felt on this cruise. Some of the cabins were still getting there rooms cleaned at 2:30 in the afternoon. NCL has really taken a down turn with all their cutbacks and price increases. Without towel animals, coffee maker and ice bucket what does my room steward do for me? Nothing other than give me towels and make my bed. For the price they are now charging I have to look at other cruise lines. The service is no longer there.

I don't know about the coffeemaker part, but all you had to do was request towel animals (they are happy to make them upon request) and an ice bucket. 

• Like 3

You're not going really going to find any super deals by switching cruise lines. All of them are charging more for less these days. It's the lines that have cut staff and put more work on the backs of their employees. I know this and why I could care less if my already overworked and exhausted room steward makes me towel animals ..... I'm an adult and can live without something I've seen 20 times. I would hope your steward cleans your entire bathroom twice daily as well. You'll have to downgrade to Carnival if you want lower prices but if you want better service you'll have to upgrade to HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc ..... You'll find gripes on all of them anyhow ...... I do agree about the feeling of a class system on many lines today. 

• Like 3

Coffee makers are automatic for balcony and above. It has been this way for years, but all you have to do is ask. It is simple , we have done this a few times. The same with an ice bucket. And the towel animals have nothing to do with the type of cabin you are in. So, I am sorry but I have to 100% disagree with you. Maybe it is time you try a different line and see how they do things.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

I don't really care about towel animals, but no coffee maker or ice bucket? That makes no sense; even the cheapest hotel rooms came with those amenities. I would be upset, too.

When did NCL provide coffee makers to inside cabins? Do other lines have coffee makers to inside cabins? I thought it was just balcony +

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You're not going really going to find any super deals by switching cruise lines. All of them are charging more for less these days. It's the lines that have cut staff and put more work on the backs of their employees. I know this and why I could care less if my already overworked and exhausted room steward makes me towel animals ..... I'm an adult and can live without something I've seen 20 times. I would hope your steward cleans your entire bathroom twice daily as well. You'll have to downgrade to Carnival if you want lower prices but if you want better service you'll have to upgrade to HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc ..... You'll find gripes on all of them anyhow ...... I do agree about the feeling of a class system on many lines today. 

When we were looking to book our cruise for April 2019 (hard to believe that's come and gone already) I compared NCL, CCL and Royal for similar itineraries on ships leaving out of the northeast. NCL was $3600, CCL was $2200 and Royal was $1880. Even with having to buy our beverage package (at a very reasonable $46 pp/pd) we still saved hundreds over what NCL offered with their "free" promotions. With that said I personally don't consider CCL a downgrade and have confirmed with our latest sailing with Royal that all three are more alike than they are different. So for us the cruise line with the lowest price will be the one we're sailing with. (And FWIW we didn't have a coffee maker on Royal or on any of our CCL sailings. It was hardly a deal breaker.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 4

I sail with kids, so I’d be happy with the option of requesting towel animals.  If I were by myself, I’d be happy to forgo them since the stewards are already pretty overwhelmed.  I don’t personally use an ice bucket or coffee maker, but agree these should be available (at least) upon request.  Honestly, in a tiny room there might be people who prefer not to have them taking up space if they don’t need them.  But if you request those items, I hope ncl brings them to you.  

• Like 1

Agree with most others here. Just ask for ice and towel animals.  Not sure about the coffee maker. I know I’ve sailed other lines where the coffee maker wasn’t available on their lower cabin tiers.

As far as pricing, at least recently, I’ve been unable to significantly beat NCL’s prices, even with the perks thrown in.and the resultant fares.

It all depends on when, where you sail, and if the ship is new to the line on fare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I don't know about the coffeemaker part, but all you had to do was request towel animals (they are happy to make them upon request) and an ice bucket. 

Right - if requested, your room steward will bring you an ice bucket (don't care about the towel animals).

I don't think no towel animals is a deal breaker by any means, and as has been said before, coffee makers are in balcony and above, No other line, by the way gives a coffee maker unless you are in a suite. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. I haven't seen a down grade, just an increase in prices.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Were there ever coffee makers and ice buckets in inside cabins on small ships? Can’t say that this is a decrease. You certainly don’t get it on Other cruise lines. 

Tell your room steward that you don’t need them, ever, on a 7-night cruise and you will quickly understand what they do for you. 

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:
When did NCL provide coffee makers to inside cabins? Do other lines have coffee makers to inside cabins? I thought it was just balcony +

Will have to back 10+ years, we had them on the Star in 2009 doing Mexico, 2008 in Alaska, 2006 & 2007 on the Crown ... along with ice bucket in Oceanview staterooms. Standard, no need to request.

CNN was among the free live TV channels at sea.

Times had changed, remember Blackberries & Motorola Q's.  Back in those days, NCL room stewards paired up with an assistant ... not to mention the box of Godiva (8 pieces) & a plate full of chocolate strawberries.  Shower caps & shoe mitts, if you go back a little further (Norwegian Sea) ... none of these alone are deal breakers, of course.  

054beddab05999655fed8a859dc99176.jpg

Sent via global dual-sim XiaoMi MA2L w Google Fi using Tapatalk & Pie

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just came off the Gem, May 3-10 Bermuda sailing.  Our cabin steward still did towel animals.  As for the coffee maker, I used it once.  As another poster said, you can order a pot of coffee if you want coffee in your cabin.

• Like 1

Don't care about towel animals or coffee makers.  Each of the four times I have sailed in a Studio, the cabin steward automatically brought (and refilled) an ice bucket, which I thought was helpful.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

They did about 5 or so years ago for a very short time. that was when they were trying to set a new image. It may have even been closer to 10 years ago. They also welcomed everyone onto the ship with a glass of champagne. They were following in Celebrity's steps. It lasted a very short time. Since then it has always been balconies and up for some of these things. The ice bucket it relatively new, but anyone can request any of these things. Why is anyone making a deal out of it? Heck I would love to be able to eat in the VIP dining room for breakfast but I understand with price comes benefits. Turn down service doesn't come with all rooms at a hotel, but if you stay in the top level you do get it with some chains. I don't get free drinks when I fly in coach either, but I do if I pay for business or first. How anyone can think we all are entitled to the same perks is beyond me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I sail with kids, so I’d be happy with the option of requesting towel animals.  If I were by myself, I’d be happy to forgo them since the stewards are already pretty overwhelmed.  I don’t personally use an ice bucket or coffee maker, but agree these should be available (at least) upon request.  Honestly, in a tiny room there might be people who prefer not to have them taking up space if they don’t need them.  But if you request those items, I hope ncl brings them to you.  

very good point. The smaller the cabin the less likely one would want some of these appliances taking up room. On our last cruise we did settle on a ocean view but no balcony. Our cabin was very small, but I still asked for a coffee maker. Well our cabin steward was obviously new plus she spoke very little  English. She did not understand what I asked when we requested a coffee maker. It wasn't worth the effort and we survived 10 days without one: nothing to let dampen our cruise. We knew we could have asked someone else to get us one but we kinda enjoyed that little bit more counter space. We did have an ice chest, which to be honest we rarely used. 

I just came back from the Bliss in a balcony and no towel animals unless we asked, which we did for my daughter, though we tipped well on first and last day for his efforts and had the "do not disturb" sign on through most of the trip, having him come in roughly every other day. As for the coffee maker and ice bucket - Heck, I would have been glad to get rid of them so we had more counter space. Never used either of them. Hmmm next time, I think I will request that they be stored away...

Edited by alisonslp

5 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

We started cruising in 2002 and I do remember a glass of champagne at sail away - but coffee makers were balcony and above rooms. I do love my morning coffee but hardly used the maker in the room.

I remember the bubbly welcome on board. And I remember all the half-filled glasses of bubbly every place you looked. And I remember thinking, bye-bye bubbly.

The comment about the ice bucket stuck with me so I just pulled up a cabin photo from our February Bliss, there is definitely an ice bucket on the counter. I'm actually glad there isn't a coffeemaker as we were 3 in the room and needed the space. I do like the towel animals, so now that I know we can have them if we request them we may just do that. No matter the circumstances takeaways rarely feel good, I think this is one of those cases. The actual loss isn't that great, but a loss just doesn't feel good.

NCL absolutely distinguishes passenger perks by stateroom class, but don't let it hurt your feelings:

Perks are greater for OV, Balcony and MS vs Inside for promotions, that's not new. Studio guests have even more limitations. However, once I'm onboard and out and about I haven't felt less service because of my cabin type, fare discounts, etc.

Haven guests have paid for some differences and it is naive to think otherwise.

While I have some disappointments with NCL overwhelmingly it is a vacation I enjoy planning and taking.