Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
NanaBell

Beach for the day

Recommended Posts

Hello, we are a large group mid 50 to 65 yr old's that is looking for the perfect beach day. Last time we were here before Irma we spent the day at Kontiki and it was lovely. As I'm looking now it looks like there is a lot of sea weed, can someone who has  been lately tell me if this is just the new thing? We are looking for a not rocky, not steep, {some of us can't walk to well} and not full of seaweed. We would love to rent chairs and umbrellas as we drink a ice cold one and look at the beautiful view, along with taking a swim. We need simple no water taxi's. Not at all interested in the airplanes or that beach! Can you help us out with idea's of beach's? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Bay Beach right down town, take regular taxi, was there in March, just ask to go downtown.  We used Holland House for chair rental, bar, and restaurant.   Very easy to do, can use regular or water taxi, close by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what is the difference between Bikini Beach/Kontiki and Great Bay other then I know Bikini is part of Orient? Prices? rocky? incline? Busier? closer? Just curious and still trying to compare and decide for about 20 of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beach in front of the Holland House Hotel is just a little way down from the water taxi to the right. They have nice loungers, one umbrella every two loungers. I don’t remember there being a huge incline to get into the water and I only remember a few larger rocks in the water. They charge $25 per “couple” and give you two drinks each. There is a restaurant and bathrooms in the hotel that you can use. 

 

There are many vendors to the left of the water taxi pier also. It seems to me it was $10 per lounger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in St Martin yesterday and spent the day at Bikini Beach at Orient Beach. It was wonderful!  We arrived around 9:30 and were one of the first there. They have tons of beach chairs and umbrellas ($20 for 2 lounge chairs, table and umbrella).

There was a young man there raking up the seaweed to make the beach clean. The water was turquoise blue with nice waves.  We had lunch at the restaurant that is also totally new, and it was very good. They will also serve you on your chair on the beach.

It was a 25 minute drive and cost $25 each way. We had a nice air conditioned (!!) van that we caught at the taxi stand at the end of the pier. Leo, our driver was great and came back to pick us up at our arranged time. Be sure to allow for a longer lunch. They are on “island time.”😂😂

Ours was the only ship in port that day so the beach was not crowded. We did see KonTiki a little further down the beach. It looks like they are still working on it but there were umbrella and chairs on the beach. FYI Bikini Beach umbrellas are green, Kon  Tiki’s are red. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turquoisesea,

                      Thank You for such a great detailed reply! You made up our mind for us!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, turquoisesea said:

We were in St Martin yesterday and spent the day at Bikini Beach at Orient Beach. It was wonderful!  We arrived around 9:30 and were one of the first there. They have tons of beach chairs and umbrellas ($20 for 2 lounge chairs, table and umbrella).

There was a young man there raking up the seaweed to make the beach clean. The water was turquoise blue with nice waves.  We had lunch at the restaurant that is also totally new, and it was very good. They will also serve you on your chair on the beach.

It was a 25 minute drive and cost $25 each way. We had a nice air conditioned (!!) van that we caught at the taxi stand at the end of the pier. Leo, our driver was great and came back to pick us up at our arranged time. Be sure to allow for a longer lunch. They are on “island time.”😂😂

Ours was the only ship in port that day so the beach was not crowded. We did see KonTiki a little further down the beach. It looks like they are still working on it but there were umbrella and chairs on the beach. FYI Bikini Beach umbrellas are green, Kon  Tiki’s are red. 

That sounds like a great option for the day.

 

Do you remember if they had bathrooms?  Changing rooms?  Rinse off shower?

 

we are also trying to decide where to go in St Maarten. 

 

Thank you

Edited by Noreen411

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Noreen411 said:

That sounds like a great option for the day.

 

Do you remember if they had bathrooms?  Changing rooms?  Rinse off shower?

 

we are also trying to decide where to go in St Maarten. 

 

Thank you

Yes there were nice new bathrooms by the restaurant- each stall large enough to change in. I did not see a shower but didn’t look. I think a previous poster did mention a shower.  Enjoy. It was a beautiful day. Do a google search of “ships in port in St Martin” and see how many other ships are there on your date. We were the only ship on our visit last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, turquoisesea said:

We were in St Martin yesterday and spent the day at Bikini Beach at Orient Beach. It was wonderful!  We arrived around 9:30 and were one of the first there. They have tons of beach chairs and umbrellas ($20 for 2 lounge chairs, table and umbrella).

There was a young man there raking up the seaweed to make the beach clean. The water was turquoise blue with nice waves.  We had lunch at the restaurant that is also totally new, and it was very good. They will also serve you on your chair on the beach.

It was a 25 minute drive and cost $25 each way. We had a nice air conditioned (!!) van that we caught at the taxi stand at the end of the pier. Leo, our driver was great and came back to pick us up at our arranged time. Be sure to allow for a longer lunch. They are on “island time.”😂😂

Ours was the only ship in port that day so the beach was not crowded. We did see KonTiki a little further down the beach. It looks like they are still working on it but there were umbrella and chairs on the beach. FYI Bikini Beach umbrellas are green, Kon  Tiki’s are red. 

When we go in 2 weeks our msc cruise will also be the only boat in port that day - I assume traffic wont be bad heading back? were you on the msc seaside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 8:28 PM, turquoisesea said:

Yes there were nice new bathrooms by the restaurant- each stall large enough to change in. I did not see a shower but didn’t look. I think a previous poster did mention a shower.  Enjoy. It was a beautiful day. Do a google search of “ships in port in St Martin” and see how many other ships are there on your date. We were the only ship on our visit last week. 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were taxis available to go back to the ship at Bikini beach or do you need to arrange for driver to come back?

 

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We picked up our taxi at the port and made arrangements with him to return at 2:00.  Wish we had said a later time!!!  He was there waiting for us when we walked off the beach.  I am pretty sure that the drivers do not have a problem returning for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...