Coat and tie needed for Crown formal nights?

Ken the cruiser

Sorry, I know this subject has been asked many times on this forum, but we’re getting ready for our 12 day cruise around the UK in July on the Crown and had to ask:

Do the men have to wear a coat and tie on formal nights or has it become optional attire? My son, who is 38, and I, who is 67, have no issues wearing a tie and long sleeve dress shirt, but really have no desire to pack a dress coat if the maitre d is not going to enforce the rules. Any recent experiences on the Crown regarding formal night attire for men will be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry, I know this subject has been asked many times on this forum, but we’re getting ready for our 12 day cruise around the UK in July on the Crown and had to ask:

Do the men have to wear a coat and tie on formal nights or has it become optional attire? My son, who is 38, and I, who is 67, have no issues wearing a tie and long sleeve dress shirt, but really have no desire to pack a dress coat if the maitre d is not going to enforce the rules. Any recent experiences on the Crown regarding formal night attire for men will be appreciated. 

Coat and tie are not required on the Crown.

Dress for dinner should be consistent fleet-wide.  We have had one experience so far outside N.A. and suit jacket was not required.  Not expecting it on Regal in Baltic either.  That said, we will probably do the buffet on formal night one and are going to go to Crown Grill for formal night two.  On a European trip for 5+ weeks and not taking dress-up for two dinners.

My husband's formal attire consists of as pair of Dockers & a Polo shirt or his guayabera shirt if he wants a change for the Captains luncheon. 

No matter where we cruise to, it's a formal as it needs to be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Do the men have to wear a coat and tie on formal nights or has it become optional attire? 

The answer to your question is no. A coat & tie are not required on formal nights in the main dining rooms.

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Dress for dinner should be consistent fleet-wide.  We have had one experience so far outside N.A. and suit jacket was not required.  Not expecting it on Regal in Baltic either.  That said, we will probably do the buffet on formal night one and are going to go to Crown Grill for formal night two.  On a European trip for 5+ weeks and not taking dress-up for two dinners.

The rules are consistent. The application is not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DDG 41 said:

The rules are consistent. The application is not.

I meant application.  I know what you mean, but it seems to be fairly consistent when thinking of not requiring passengers to be dressed to the 9's.  It seems to be on the lower end of the scale where articles of wear are getting by that are not to for dinner - such as shorts and t-shirts.  And they are not supposed to be worn any night except embarkation.  For me, it is usually too cool to consider it.  Smart casual seems to work any night and IDK why we cannot all at least stick to that minimum.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Haboob said:

My experience is that you will get more ...personable service in a jacket than without, and still more in a tux.

When that day arrives we'll be looking for another cruise line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haboob said:

My experience is that you will get more ...personable service in a jacket than without, and still more in a tux.

Our experience is you get the same level of service no matter what you wear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My husband's formal attire consists of as pair of Dockers & a Polo shirt or his guayabera shirt if he wants a change for the Captains luncheon. 

No matter where we cruise to, it's a formal as it needs to be. 

Good Reply!  Dockers & a Polo shirt are  all that's needed for Formal nights no matter which Princess ship and itinerary.  :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Good Reply!  Dockers & a Polo shirt are  all that's needed for Formal nights no matter which Princess ship and itinerary.  :classic_cool:

LuLu,

I will be in my Tuxedo when I have my first dance with you. 😁 

Tony

CD7EF572-C802-4F25-9236-EB3F95A89BF0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2019 at 3:11 PM, Haboob said:

Agreed. They always give great service, but it is more...personable if you're dressed for the occasion as the guidelines describe.😁 The Count and I get very personable service in our tux and gown. We wear them because we enjoy revisiting the traditional dress up of cruising. We don't get sideways if others don't dress up, we just do it for us.😃😍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1