Advice for Prospective 2021 World Cruiser?

Celebrating retirement aboard the RSSC Mariner, and am considering booking the 2021 World Cruise.

Background:  I'm an experienced global traveler with ~180 nights aboard RSSC.  Have been a "seggie" on a few World Cruise segments, so familiar with some of the unique social issues around the World Cruise.  May be traveling as a solo female, depending on whether my traveling companion can arrange a sabbatical from his university.

Any advice for us?  I'd particularly like to hear about experiences from other solo travelers--and any pre-booking cautions or reminders for a first-time World Cruiser. 

Thanks, hive mind.  It's a GLORIOUS day in Sitka, AK; we are just pulling into port.

Cynthia 

There is a general world cruise thread on this board.  In addition, the 2021 one has an active roll call.

Finally, last fall there was a Grand Voyage which was sort of a truncated version of the 2021 world cruise at:

We hope to see you on Mariner in January 2021.

organizedhome....yes, please join us! We enjoyed the 2018 WC so much that we reserved 2021 as soon as it was open for booking. Lots of details to attend to at home before you go such as how you'll handle your bills (most can be done online these days or set up for auto-payment), mail hold or forwarding,  someone to check on your place periodically, mow the lawn or shovel the driveway (depending on where you live), arranging for a sufficient supply of prescription meds.....and so on!  We started making a list once we booked for '18 and just added to it as we went along.  It all worked out in the end.

Congrats on your retirement!  A Regent voyage like this is a great way to celebrate.

11 hours ago, organizedhome said:

Celebrating retirement aboard the RSSC Mariner, and am considering booking the 2021 World Cruise.

Background:  I'm an experienced global traveler with ~180 nights aboard RSSC.  Have been a "seggie" on a few World Cruise segments, so familiar with some of the unique social issues around the World Cruise.  May be traveling as a solo female, depending on whether my traveling companion can arrange a sabbatical from his university.

Any advice for us?  I'd particularly like to hear about experiences from other solo travelers--and any pre-booking cautions or reminders for a first-time World Cruiser. 

Thanks, hive mind.  It's a GLORIOUS day in Sitka, AK; we are just pulling into port.

Cynthia 

I’m doing the RSSC 2020 World Cruise as a solo, so I’m paying close attention to any threads that get into details about tips/tricks for the solo traveler.  I’m relatively new to cruise travel (4 cruises so far, the longest was 38 days; two more booked for this year), but I always travel solo so i’m working out some things that work for me as I gain more experience. 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

And definitely join the "Solo & Social Travelers" evnets early in the voyage to neet up with others - these get-togethers are listed in the daily program.  Usually it's pre-dinner cocktaails with the option to continue on to dinner together, hosted by the Social Hostess or members of the Entertainment Cast. I've also seen breakfast get-togethers in La Veranda or even in the Coffee Connection.  And don't be shy about introducing yourself to others at cocktail time with a "mind if I join you?" We've met many interesting people that way!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the encouragement – I have just booked this cruise, aboard the mariner.

With a bit of scheduling luck, I will be joined by my significant other, but even if I cruise alone, I am very, very excited!

Looking forward to planning and preparing over the next months – and hope to make many friends on our way to this dream of a lifetime.

Off to Prime 7, to end a truly wonderful day.

Cynthia and Bob

• Like 1