Koningsdam ... where is she?

I was looking into booking a B2B on the Koningsdam in the fall of 2020 but don't see any cruises listed for the week of Sept 26 - Oct 3 of that year.  Does anyone know what is happening that particular week.  She is in Vancouver on 9/26 and in San Diego on 10/3. 

Is she chartered?  It does seem to be an awfully short dry dock with a re-positioning to boot.  

Hmmm? 

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I was looking into booking a B2B on the Koningsdam in the fall of 2020 but don't see any cruises listed for the week of Sept 26 - Oct 3 of that year.  Does anyone know what is happening that particular week.  She is in Vancouver on 9/26 and in San Diego on 10/3. 

Is she chartered?  It does seem to be an awfully short dry dock with a re-positioning to boot.  

Hmmm? 

KDAM had a dry dock in December 2018, so unlikely to be another dry dock so soon.

Possibly a charter, though departing on Sept 26 from Vancouver and arriving 7 days later in San Diego, doesn't give a good route/itinerary.

Interesting!! 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

KDAM had a dry dock in December 2018, so unlikely to be another dry dock so soon.

Possibly a charter, though departing on Sept 26 from Vancouver and arriving 7 days later in San Diego, doesn't give a good route/itinerary.

Interesting!! 

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too.  Those re-positioning cruises usually sell for a lot less because it usually means flying at least one way, if not both.  They looked into down at HAL for me this morning and there is not even a voyage number so they couldn't tell what is up that week.  He did give me the two possibilities, which I kind of already knew, and that was the full charter or a slim possibility that they are working on some contracts for ports that they usually don't visit and open up the itinerary later on down the road.  I know that charters can also fall through so he said that either way, I should check on it in a couple of months to see if anything is available ... and if not ... repeat after another couple of months.  

Usually, though ... someone on cruise critic has the skinny on these things way before the cruise line will tell us about it.  I don't know how they know, but they do!  

13 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Koningsdam will be doing 7 day Mex Riv trips from San Diego beginning Oct. 3, 2020.   I'm doing Google searches for charter info.  🙂

I saw that ... I have also tried searching for charters for the week of Sept 26 - Oct 3, 2020.  I am hoping you have a better technique for those Google searches than I do.  Since it is so early in the game, I am thinking that if it is a charter, they are working on the contract.  But ... I always find out such amazing (and hidden) info from others on this site. Not sure how you all do it ... but you do!  Thanks!!  

Or.....the September 26-October 3 trip will be a coastal, perhaps available as the 2nd segment

of the 9/19-26 r/t Vancouver. That would be a nice 14 day trip:  Vancouver-Vancouver-San Diego. 

Edited by Boatdrill

9 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Or.....the September 26-October 3 trip will be a coastal, perhaps available as the 2nd segment

of the 9/19-26 r/t Vancouver. That would be a nice 14 day trip:  Vancouver-Vancouver-San Diego. 

That is exactly what I am hoping to do.  I am booked on the first leg but have to switch ships (cruise lines) if I want to cruise back to California (vs flying .. yuk!).  The 26th is a special occasion so would really rather not spend it with all the hassle of transferring to another ship ... but the Royal Princess will be taking us on the second leg if the Koningsdam is not available.  

There might be a hold on that particular week, either a charter or a PR cruise for TA's.  I tried to add on a coastal once after our Panama Canal on the Volendam, it was repositioning to Alaska from San Diego, but couldn't.  My TA at the time couldn't tell me why but I found out later it was a PR cruise.

11 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

There might be a hold on that particular week, either a charter or a PR cruise for TA's.  I tried to add on a coastal once after our Panama Canal on the Volendam, it was repositioning to Alaska from San Diego, but couldn't.  My TA at the time couldn't tell me why but I found out later it was a PR cruise.

At first I thought maybe a week for training but never thought of a PR cruise but it makes perfect sense.  Those sailings are harder to sell so it behooves them to set it up as a PR cruise.  It actually makes more sense than a charter to me.  

Could be Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise.  They are scheduled to announce their October 2020 cruise on June 25th.  They have used a few HAL ships.  October 2019 they charter Eurodam to Mexican Riviera and January 2020 they have Nieuw Statendam in Western Caribbean.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Could be Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise.  They are scheduled to announce their October 2020 cruise on June 25th.  They have used a few HAL ships.  October 2019 they charter Eurodam to Mexican Riviera and January 2020 they have Nieuw Statendam in Western Caribbean.

Aha!!  See what I mean about people knowing things!!  Thank you for your wisdom!  I will be sure to check again in about a month.  

• 1 month later...

@Cruise Raider Well, there is still no listing for sailing on Sept 26,2020 and it is not 'Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise as they have just announced chartering Eurodam for their sailing to Aruba and Curacao (actually a great itinerary for a 7 day cruise!)

10 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

@Cruise Raider Well, there is still no listing for sailing on Sept 26,2020 and it is not 'Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise as they have just announced chartering Eurodam for their sailing to Aruba and Curacao (actually a great itinerary for a 7 day cruise!)

I just saw that .... thanks for being on top of things!

It's such a mystery of what she is doing that week.  She is up in Vancouver on Sept 26 and magically appears in San Diego on Oct 3, 2020

Doesn't seem logical that it would be a dry dock as that would only give her 4 days or so.  I've checked all the port info down the coast and she isn't in any of those either.  I wonder if they are still working on arranging ports of call?  Seems rather late in the game for that.  Maybe another private charter.  Oh well, it was a great thought but I have to look for alternate plans.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update .... 

spoke to someone down at HAL and this sailing now has a voyage #!  

It is still not available to the public and he mentioned he didn't think it was a charter but rather, they were working on the itinerary (contracts for the ports of call) and to check back in a couple of week.  

I have all my fingers and toes crossed (is that even possible?) that this turns into a Pacific Coastal with a focus on the northern ports of call and a stop in San Francisco on the way down to San Diego! 

18 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have an update .... 

spoke to someone down at HAL and this sailing now has a voyage #!  

It is still not available to the public and he mentioned he didn't think it was a charter but rather, they were working on the itinerary (contracts for the ports of call) and to check back in a couple of week.  

I have all my fingers and toes crossed (is that even possible?) that this turns into a Pacific Coastal with a focus on the northern ports of call and a stop in San Francisco on the way down to San Diego! 

Interesting!  It really didn't make sense to have an 'open jaw' charter from Vancouver to San Diego.  

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Interesting!  It really didn't make sense to have an 'open jaw' charter from Vancouver to San Diego.  

I didn't realize that but it does make sense.  The Eurodam also has a sailing that is leaving Seattle to Ft Lauderdale through the canal.  It can be booked as a Seattle to Ft Lauderdale, Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale or San Diego to Ft Lauderdale.  However, nothing as of yet for a Seattle to Vancouver or a Vancouver to San Diego is released.  I  bet they will release those later depending on how many cabins are booked for each individual sailing (the 22 night, the 20 night or the 15 night).  I think there would be cabins they would want to fill once the 15 night sailing is booked.   Does that make sense?  They tend to offer them only as guaranteed cabins, though.  

• 3 weeks later...