Best Western Ft Lauderdale airport/cruiseport

snorkel lover

In early April, my husband and I reserved a room for the night before a cruise. We arrived around 11:30pm and was given room #104. In the morning, we discovered that there was no running water in the tub or shower. (We were not told at check in about this situation.) I called the front desk to ask for an available shower in another room (there was none) and stated that I would not be paying full price for this room. Upon check out, I discovered that I was charged full price, and I again explained the situation to Joanne, the front desk clerk. She indicated that she would issue me a refund; she did not. 

I have called the general manager's phone number twice, and left detailed messages, I also left a detailed email message for him. (Note that the name, phone number, and email address of the general manager was on a large poster board at the front desk.)  I also emailed to the address that "Caring Management" provided in its response to my post on tripadvisor.  No one has responded. 

I posted this so that others can check to ensure they have a working shower and/or tub before they need to use it.

Of the nine-count-'em-nine hotels at the interchange of I-95 and Stirling Road that Best Western is the only one really to avoid. Regular police activity there; the walk-up rates are low enough to attract local "entrepreneurs" that just need a room for a couple hours (or less). Cleanliness and maintenance naturally of a similar standard. I remember watching it being built and wondering how the heck they got a permit to construct a hotel that is essentially zero lot lined against the interstate off ramp.

Remember that Best Western is not really a hotel chain but just a group of independent properties that pay for a unified reservation system. No real corporate standards to live up to, and nowhere to escalate such issues as the OP had (other than a credit card dispute which I hope the OP has initiated given they can state date, time and name of hotel rep who promised a refund that has yet to appear).

4 hours ago, snorkel lover said:

OP here.  I have disputed the charge, but Chase told me since I stayed in the hotel, I do not have "lack of service" rights to dispute.  Never again will I stay in a Best Western.

What a load of crap!

On 5/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, snorkel lover said:
In early April, my husband and I reserved a room for the night before a cruise. We arrived around 11:30pm and was given room #104. In the morning, we discovered that there was no running water in the tub or shower. (We were not told at check in about this situation.) I called the front desk to ask for an available shower in another room (there was none) and stated that I would not be paying full price for this room. Upon check out, I discovered that I was charged full price, and I again explained the situation to Joanne, the front desk clerk. She indicated that she would issue me a refund; she did not. 

I have called the general manager's phone number twice, and left detailed messages, I also left a detailed email message for him. (Note that the name, phone number, and email address of the general manager was on a large poster board at the front desk.)  I also emailed to the address that "Caring Management" provided in its response to my post on tripadvisor.  No one has responded. 

I posted this so that others can check to ensure they have a working shower and/or tub before they need to use it.

Specifically, which Best Western near FLL are you referring to ?

Oops I may be the one causing the confusion. My response in post #3 was assuming OP was at the Best Western location at 1900 Stirling Rd. But it appears they were at the 1221 W State Rd 84 property. Neither being one of the better choices in their respective neighborhoods.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, fishywood said:

Oops I may be the one causing the confusion. My response in post #3 was assuming OP was at the Best Western location at 1900 Stirling Rd. But it appears they were at the 1221 W State Rd 84 property. Neither being one of the better choices in their respective neighborhoods.

I have stayed at the one on 84 many times and never had any issues with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very sorry you had this experience. Not having water is NOT like having a bad experience with the waffle maker.

I think you should escalate you complaint with your credit card. Services offered were not available. It will most likely take a bit of work, but we are not talking a cup of coffee here.

Also, if you have the time leave reviews on Tripadvisor and Google and so on. One of the best things about the internet is the transparency of lousy business practicess.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, snorkel lover said:

OP here.  I have disputed the charge, but Chase told me since I stayed in the hotel, I do not have "lack of service" rights to dispute.  Never again will I stay in a Best Western.

You need to dispute a second time. It starts a different process and you are highly likely to prevail. 

Thank you for the replies, and it is good to know that a second dispute was possible.  However after Chase told me I could not prevail, I went back to the internet and found the Best Western "corporate" customer service.  I had to email them, and then follow up with a phone call to further explain the situation, but I finally did receive the refund I was promised.  (Customer Service was apparently successful in getting that hotel property to respond to them.)  It should have not taken the amount of time and energy that it did.  I stand by my statement, "never again will I stay in a Best Western."    And, yes,  earlier in this process, I had posted feedback on tripadvisor and the management reply to that was to contact a different email address (which did not respond to me.)  I tried to post that information on tripadvisor, but apparently tripadvisor rules prohibits a second post if it was within 3 months of the first.  I tried to post directly on the Best Western site, but those reviews are fed from tripadvisor.