Passengers doing hot glass

grandgeezer

My wife has done this. There are some safety and skill related parts of the process that they do, but you're with them, handling tools, etc. She was pretty involved and loved it.

"Package" might be an overstatement, but her starfish was wrapped in layers of craft paper and she had no issues getting it home. I'm not sure I'd want to do the flower or the bowl and try to fly with it.

DH has done the flower and vase and both arrived home safely.  We used a bubble  wine bottle skin for the vase & placed it in the middle of a checked suitcase. The flower was wrapped in clothes and placed in my carryon bag.

I did a flower last year on a TA and they packed it in paper and a box - it made it home safely from Dublin.  I asked and they were kind enough to etch the date on the bottom which I thought was a nice touch.

I think we’ll bring some bubble wrap or something. Several years ago my better half won a vase at one of their drawings. It was a transatlantic so it was a stressful trip home from Barcelona. This time we only have to find our way home from Ft. Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, Carnevale said:

Sounds like fun!  Is this available on all ships / all sailings?   We are on Infinity for a fall TA and this could be a great sea day activity.

As far as I remember, it's only on the Solstice, Equinox, and the Eclipse. It used to be on a couple of the other Solstice class ships but they took them out and put in a specialty steak restaurant.

Just my opinion, but I was surprised to find this on the Eclipse as it seems like a potential fire hazard to the ship.  Do other cruise lines have anything like this?  We also sail on Princess (mostly) and HAL (occasionally) and they don't have anything like this.

12 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Just my opinion, but I was surprised to find this on the Eclipse as it seems like a potential fire hazard to the ship.  Do other cruise lines have anything like this?  We also sail on Princess (mostly) and HAL (occasionally) and they don't have anything like this.

As far as I know, Celebrity is the only one. They've been doing this for many years and I've not heard of any incidents. With 2900 passengers, 1200 crew, and a billion dollar ship at risk, I'm sure they did their due diligence before preceding with it. 

Passengers participating is a new wrinkle though. Before this, Corning Glass employees did all the work.

22 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

As far as I know, Celebrity is the only one. They've been doing this for many years and I've not heard of any incidents. With 2900 passengers, 1200 crew, and a billion dollar ship at risk, I'm sure they did their due diligence before preceding with it. 

Passengers participating is a new wrinkle though. Before this, Corning Glass employees did all the work.

Corning Glass in no longer involved in any way

52 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Corning Glass in no longer involved in any way

I didn't say Corning Glass is involved in any way. It was them until Celebrity found another way to turn a buck. Maybe Corning Glass questioned the safety of letting the passengers get involved, but even more likely, they weren't willing to give Celebrity a big enough piece of the pie.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

When Corning Glass was doing it, we had a full presentation explaining the equipment they were using.

It's all electric, which is a feat in itself to get the temperature needed... Which obviously limits the fire potential compared to an open flame.

8 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I didn't say Corning Glass is involved in any way. It was them until Celebrity found another way to turn a buck. Maybe Corning Glass questioned the safety of letting the passengers get involved, but even more likely, they weren't willing to give Celebrity a big enough piece of the pie.

yupp.. valuable space on the ship that was not generating enough income

As per some Corning staff....it was a very big commitment to run that operation...for Corning and staff.. What they have now is not the same , but some pax enjoy it..I'd rather have another  grill restaurant...

My husband and I were just on the Equinox and did two flowers. We will definitely do again as we enjoyed the experience, it was a lot of fun. You get to pick the piece you would like to make, pick your own colours etc.  They do most of the work but you do help with the process. You get to roll the glass, pinch the glass etc.  If you pick a bowl, vase you get to blow into the piece etc ... Our flowers were wrapped in paper and I placed in my carry on. Made it home safe and sound with no breakage. 

49A068F6-6445-4D11-A6B6-AB3F8B71152F.jpeg

10 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Is there a price list anywhere? The small print says that some pieces cost more than others.

Or for those who have done it, what pieces do not have an extra cost?

On the web page I posted earlier, anything that's $50 is "included" in the fee you'll pay when you purchase a spot. If you blow the vase at $90, they will charge you another $40 on the ship.

If you book online before the cruise, go to the intro show they do right after muster drill and you can book your time slot. They do it only when the ship is at sea.

52 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

On the web page I posted earlier, anything that's $50 is "included" in the fee you'll pay when you purchase a spot. If you blow the vase at $90, they will charge you another $40 on the ship.

If you book online before the cruise, go to the intro show they do right after muster drill and you can book your time slot. They do it only when the ship is at sea.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, angelhelly said:

When Corning Glass was doing it, we had a full presentation explaining the equipment they were using.

It's all electric, which is a feat in itself to get the temperature needed... Which obviously limits the fire potential compared to an open flame.

We. miss the Corning Glass Program.  It was informative and the staff were true professionals.  It was amazing to see them work on a ship, sometimes in less than ideal conditions.   On our last cruise, there were many openings in the schedule.  Not the same...