Petra Jordon. Ship organised tours

Has anyone experienced a tour of Petra?

We are booked on Discovery next April and would love to see some of this site, however I do have some walking difficulties.

I would be ok if Could walk at my own pace and only do as much walking as I wanted. Does anyone know how much time you have at the site and also can you set your own pace within this time.

Did this trip about five years ago. DW has walking difficulties and could not keep up with guide so we took our time but missed out on the guides talk. Only made it to the treasury, where she rested, while I went on. She was very slow on the way back due to the slope, missed lunch. On time, but last ones to the bus. Donkey carts were crazy, wanted to get in max trips up and down. Some in our excursion ended up with sore backs. There may be better transport down now??

I have done this trip twice and it is quite a walk downhill to the treasury but the walk back is up hill and even I had to take breather half way up The path is uneven and can be quite slippy too I did it the first time in January when it snowed on the way there and there was a cold wind but the second time in April it was very hot and little shade except on the narrow bits between sheer cliffs You can get a cart ride or a horse/donkey ride but they are hard to get  Personally I wouldn't try it without getting some form of transport sorry

No I wouldn't use the animal travel either although we did have a camel ride from the treasury further into the site and back to the treasury

I wouldn't ride the donkeys up the hill in Santorini - not happy with their treatment although we're in the EU

Thank you for your replies. I would like to experience this area even if only got as far as the treasury and back. On a youtube video I did see  what I can only describe as a golf cart transporting 4 people from the treasury back towards the visitor centre. I've not seen this listed anywhere as a possible transport option. Has anyone used this as I would not want to use any of the horse drawn cart's etc which seem to be the main transport on offer.

We witnessed one of those carts turning over , lots of ruts and very uneven surface and because of the gradient they have to go fast it's very scary. I would suggest depending on time of year you take an umbrella for the sun not rain. We did go on further and had tea at a bedowin camp it was unbelievable but the walk back under the sun ,you are in the open no shade, was very hard and you need lots of water.😎

Sounds like the golf cart may also be off the list based on what you witnessed!

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I think I'll just have to wait until nearer the time and see how my mobility is at that point before I decide if  I can give it a go.

Thanks for the advise. I've googled Petra,  and on the official website it doesn't have any information on if there is any transport on the site but based on the replies here from others who have visited, the only options seem to the horse drawn cart which I do not want to use.

If on the tour you get 3-4 hours at site, I think I could be OK to get to the treasury and back in that time.

If you only have a couple of hours there, I don't think I'd manage the return walk.

None of the advertised tours give much information ,as they only seem to tell you the total duration of the tour which would include transport to and from the port.

It was a full day trip when we went, early morning slow walk down with guide then time to go further down if you could manage and a leisurley walk back up with a meal when we got back to the coach park it is a fantastic day out but you could tell the following day who had been on it😏