Hubbard Glacier excursion

cruisingnewtoit

45 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

X is offering an up close tour of the glacier on a seperate tour boat during scenic cruising. Is this something new? Not sure if it's worth the money. Anyone done this yet?

Thanks for any info

We did it five years ago on the Solstice, best tour we ever took.  We got a lot closer to the glacier than they did on the ship and went into an area where the ship could not go where there were loads of seals.  On the way back saw numbers whales. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

X is offering an up close tour of the glacier on a seperate tour boat during scenic cruising. Is this something new? Not sure if it's worth the money. Anyone done this yet?

Thanks for any info

Which ship is this offered? We are sailing next May to Alaska visiting Hubbard Glacier but this excursion isn’t showing.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

We did it five years ago on the Solstice, best tour we ever took.  We got a lot closer to the glacier than they did on the ship and went into an area where the ship could not go where there were loads of seals.  On the way back saw numbers whales. 

That's wonderful to hear. I love seals. We signed up for it but  worried it was a gimmick.

We bit the bullet and bought this tour for our August cruise on Millie. From various posts, it looks like this excursion was offered last year and then cancelled for the entire year for some reason. Based on reviews like DKJRetired's above, we decided to shell out the big bucks and watch for reviews from earlier cruisers to see if they thought it was worth the investment. I haven't seen any on the Alaska thread yet. When do you sail?

7 minutes ago, pennychipps said:

We bit the bullet and bought this tour for our August cruise on Millie. From various posts, it looks like this excursion was offered last year and then cancelled for the entire year for some reason. Based on reviews like DKJRetired's above, we decided to shell out the big bucks and watch for reviews from earlier cruisers to see if they thought it was worth the investment. I haven't seen any on the Alaska thread yet. When do you sail?

June 2020

If you end up going please come back & post a review.

Will do. I'm also following a thread called Hubbard Glacier on the Alaska Ports of Call boards. Several cruisers are booked on this excursion and have promised to report back. None so far this season but the season just started so perhaps we will hear soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were just on the Millennium for a B2B Alaska cruise (5/10 to 5/24).  We visited Hubbard Glacier twice and no separate excursion was offered on glacier viewing day. The captain was able to get with 700m of the glacier which made viewing from a separate boat unnecessary. Seals could be seen resting on ice flows from the ship.  Maybe it is offered when the S Class ships visit HG b/c they cannot get very close?

From our Aqua Veranda...

78138893-816D-4E0B-9D68-432189EB7A12.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2019 at 2:42 PM, cruisingnewtoit said:

Thanks for any info

Not new.  And yes, it is worth the money.

The boat goes right under the glacier.  And, if you are lucky, the glacier will calve right over your head.

Good luck.  And enjoy.

The Hubbard excursion that everyone is talking about on a lot of the boards is called "Hubbard Glacier and Wilderness Exploration."  The excursion is new for the 2019 Alaska season and is being offered by Allen Marine.  The excursion was presented in 2018 but never got off the ground and reservations were cancelled.  Cruisers are anxiously awaiting feedback from those that have taken the excursion; unfortunately, nothing posted yet.  Our excursion is still "a go" but we won't be taking it until June 30th.  I will be on the Royal Princess at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Not new.  And yes, it is worth the money.

The boat goes right under the glacier.  And, if you are lucky, the glacier will calve right over your head.

Good luck.  And enjoy.

Are you being serious?      

Edited by dflawyer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

More info about Allen Marine's tour  click on the link for pictures of the boat used and other info. 

https://www.facebook.com/AllenMarineTours/posts/1952207208165825?comment_id=1952226044830608&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R"}

Is the one Celebrity is taking? I don't have my excursion list in front of me?

6 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Yes.....it's offered on our upcoming Millennium cruise. 

hubbard.JPG

Wow!  We only paid $259.95 pp for this tour during our upcoming Princess cruise.  We booked early to ensure seats.  I now see that Princess is offering the excursion for $279.95pp.  I guess we lucked out.

8 hours ago, dflawyer said:

Are you being serious?      

Yes.  Serious.   Actually,  if your boat (private small boat vendor) gets close to the glacier,  it does seem like it’s overhead when calving.   Deafening thunderous  roar when the ice breaks loose.   Bring your rain gear, and protect your camera/video cam from water splashes.

Good luck.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947