Cruise Critic Community
BarnCat1

Airfare Questions on One Way Cruises

How does free or discounted airfare work on cruises that are only one way?  I am looking at an Alaskan Cruise with embarking and disembarking ports in two different cities.

I asked this question on the NCL forum, but got no reply so I thought I would try here.  Any additional fees to come in a few days earlier and/or stay a few days later after the cruise?  

If you use cruise line airfares, they will book the flights you need. Shouldn't be any additional fees or complexities in the vast majority of situations. It is not at all unusual to fly into one city, and out of another. But you should check and see if you can do it cheaper on your own, including possibly using two different airlines.

In fact, perhaps the biggest advantage of cruise air fares is long distance one way airfares, such as trans Atlantic one way airfares.

If you do your own airfares, what you want  for non-looping cruises is the 'multi-city' option, which is often buried in some sort of 'advanced options' on an airline or online travel agency web site.  It's a perfectly normal ticket for you or the cruise line to book and the advantage over two one way tickets is that it's often (though not always) cheaper because that kind of ticket will often meet requirements for certain types of ticket discounts to kick in like 'Saturday night stay required'. 

9 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

How does free or discounted airfare work on cruises that are only one way?  I am looking at an Alaskan Cruise with embarking and disembarking ports in two different cities.

This will be pretty conventional. You can easily buy a ticket covering both halves of the journey yourself: for example, New York to Seattle; Anchorage to New York. This is basically priced in the same way as round-trip tickets are, using half of a round-trip fare New York-Seattle-New York and half of a round-trip fare New York-Anchorage-New York. (Yes, those directions are correct.)

If the cruise line books it for you, it will basically replicate that process within the contractual arrangements that it has with the relevant airlines.

For short-haul trips in North America, frequently it now doesn't matter anyway if you buy two one-way tickets. But it's always worth looking at all the combinations to work out what's best overall.