What price per day is good cruise value

There was a thread on here a while ago where the OP had done calculations per person per day and compared the cruise values in this way. I can not seem to find that thread.

Has anyone done that comparison for cruises at various times of the year and seen what price per person per day works out to good value cruises.

as an example, I am looking at a cruise in April next year, and for 5 of us, in 2 balcony cabins, it works out to $223 per person per day for a 9 night cruise.

Am trying to work out if that is a good deal or not?

45 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

as an example, I am looking at a cruise in April next year, and for 5 of us, in 2 balcony cabins, it works out to $223 per person per day for a 9 night cruise.

I am not a long time cruiser (I intend being) but maybe destination and company has something to do with pricing ,just putting it out there for the experts.

Cheers Carole

1 hour ago, DT1304 said:

It depends on the cruise line, itinerary, and what perks are included ie drinks package, onboard credit, etc.

For example we've done three NZ cruises on Celebrity Solstice. The base cost, which I calculate as fare less any OBC, has averaged out around $230pp per night in a balcony cabin but that included a Classic drinks package.

On Majestic Princess we paid about $250pp per night on a 6 night Tasmania cruise, with no drinks package included. However cruises on that ship were expensive as she was the newest in the Princess fleet.

I have a very comprehensive spread sheet where I keep track of all our cruise costs and each cruise links to a summary sheet for easy comparison.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thanks. I will do more research and comparisons.

I am looking at Ovation of the Seas.

I have done cruises on Radiance of the Seas (3 times) and Explorer of the Seas (twice) but they were mostly over Christmas and New Years so prices were high.

27 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

Thanks. I will do more research and comparisons.

I am looking at Ovation of the Seas.

I have done cruises on Radiance of the Seas (3 times) and Explorer of the Seas (twice) but they were mostly over Christmas and New Years so prices were high.

I can come in and give you good advice on Royal Caribbean.

But you’re question is vague 

Time ,destination,cabin or suite??

we are here to help.

$200 a day on average.

Edited by Chiliburn

I will try be more clear.

I would like to go on Ovation of the Seas, on 2nd April 2020 to New Zealand. It is a 9 night cruise.

I want to cruise in 2 balcony cabins on a high deck, one with 3 adults, and one with adults.

The price I have works out to $223 per person per night.

My previous cruses have been around the $250 per person per night, also on Royal Carib, but have been over Christmas and New Year.

I am therefore trying to work out if this is reasonably priced in April 2020.

1 hour ago, DT1304 said:

I will try be more clear.

I would like to go on Ovation of the Seas, on 2nd April 2020 to New Zealand. It is a 9 night cruise.

I want to cruise in 2 balcony cabins on a high deck, one with 3 adults, and one with adults.

The price I have works out to $223 per person per night.

My previous cruses have been around the $250 per person per night, also on Royal Carib, but have been over Christmas and New Year.

I am therefore trying to work out if this is reasonably priced in April 2020.

That’s a reasonable price ,nothing wrong with that.

I have got a balcony for $170 a day on Ovation.And I’ve paid $300 a day each (got ripped off).But it’s what we wanted at the time.

Ovation is a big ship,it’s a mass marketing ship .All the cabins are identical.like the MacDonalds of the sea. 

$223 per head and if there’s a special cabin you you want and if you’re comfortable with that I would go for it.

But if I were you  wait till December there’s usually some good prices but the cabins maybe hit and miss .

December is the best time to get a bargain with Royal Caribbean.

you said you want a high deck.

deck 13 forward elevators,as close to the elevators as possible.

with a big ship like Ovationthe problem  is the crowds of people,4500 passengers.

The forward elevators aren’t as busy,deck 13 you are one flight of stairs from the the pool deck and the solarium bistro will be your private cafe.

one flight of stairs for a coffee and cake or even breakfast.

Edited by Chiliburn

So many variables, including line, destination, cabin category and time of year.

we book mid ship, or close thereto balconies and try to stay out of school holidays (hard when Mrs Gut is a teacher)

as an example we frequently do a Tasmania cruise the first week of her December holidays, she teaches in a private school and breaks up a week or so before the public schools.

around 225 on Princess and Cekebrity

Norwegian was a tad higher 

Cunard was over $300

all pp pd base$ on twin share.

Yeah, the Easter/school hols bump up pricing at that time.

Conversely, NZ as a destination then is less popular as it's not as warm in parts.

Bumping up the price again is that RCL price Ovation at a premium as it's that line's newest ship here, with almost all their bells and whistles.

So, all in all, that's a decent price by RCL standards for that ship. If you have 2 cabins well located, close together, it's probably good to pull the trigger. You could search availability but it's unlikely to get a lot cheaper; probably $190 is as cheap as it would go on that itin, but that's not guaranteed. And if bookings keep coming in, it could be harder to get your desired cabin locations so can make you wind up paying more to get preferred location.

2 main variables...

School hols are much more expensive..

Cruise Line, you sail with...

I usually like The K-Mart of cruise lines. Carnival. I book out of school hols time. I usually pay $100 a night for a Balcony or $75 for inside room. Have 2 coming up in June $899 for 9 nights Balcony & The other is 11 nights in July Interior for $979..

I paid these rates also on B2B back in March..

The most I have paid was $3699 for a 19 night in a suite from Singapore.

I usually book there Pack"n"Go deals or there 72 Hour sales...

I would pay about $145 a day for a RCL, as i know there are class above... 

I pay what I am willing to pay which varies for all the reasons I mentioned above but also to my needs and wants. I would think anything between $150-$200 for a balcony cabin on most lines is a good price, cheaper is a great price, if it includes some perks, maybe even a better than great price.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I pay what I am willing to pay which varies for all the reasons I mentioned above but also to my needs and wants. I would think anything between $150-$200 for a balcony cabin on most lines is a good price, cheaper is a great price, if it includes some perks, maybe even a better than great price.

Mic makes a great point, factor in your perks, not at what the line values them at, but at what they’re worth to you.

ie they might value the drinks package at say $890 ea but if you would only spend $500 on drinks that’s all it is worth to you. Same with OBC they might gibpve you $1000, but if you spend $500 on stuff you wouldn’t otherwise buy and the other $500 on stuff you only pay $300 for on land, then it’s really only worth $300 to you.

always do the sums.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments.

I have managed to get 2 balcony cabins next to each other (not connecting) on the deck I want, near the back of the ship, and this is for $217 per person per night.

I am forced into cruising during school holidays as my kids cant miss school, especially my older one as he will be in year 12. I am also very keen to stay with RCI. With this in mind, and the comments above, I reckon that is a good price and I'll probably book it.

It does not have any extra perks apart from the standard Platinum member perks like a few discounted drinks.

I have just asked the TA to requote based on 1 balcony cabin and 1 interior cabin close by. Once I have compared this to 2 balcony cabins, and seen if the saving is worthwhile, I'll make the booking for one of the options.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Also be aware that port charges do add up, Australia is expensive compared to the Caribbean as an example . Repositioning Cruises also give you a great bang for your dollar particulary if you like sea days . 

$150 to $200 is fair value for a balcony. Last cruise we paid AU$170 pp for balcony on Noordam.  In my opinion it was not worth that, worst cruise in 28 of them.  Tardy ship, crap ports in the islands, real crap food.

Next cruise, Majestic Princess, paid AU$200 pp a day for mini suite.  One after that Arcadia, paid AU$250 pp per day for deluxe cabin, a bit over my benchmark $200 but got 700 pounds (AU$1300) obc.   Gratuities included in base cruise fare for both to soften the blow.

Edited by NSWP

8 hours ago, DT1304 said:

I have just asked the TA to requote based on 1 balcony cabin and 1 interior cabin close by. Once I have compared this to 2 balcony cabins, and seen if the saving is worthwhile, I'll make the booking for one of the options

Always worth a look but usually not worthwhile on Ovation as the sweet spot is balcony cabin.  We asked for our 2020 TP on Ovation which came out at about $150pp/night for 1 balcony 1 inside (vitual a balcony) Vs $155pp/night for side by side balconies.  Went 2 balconies no second thoughts!