Disembarkation night dress code

Windsurfboy

7 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

But I'm one of the people who'd like every sea night to be a GALA night.

That would be a bit much for me on a transatlantic.  I quite like having the 3 gala nights, with the other nights just smart.  On the non gala nights I tend to wear a suit with waistcoat and no tie - I think I would find it a bit much to be super formal every night as I spend most of my work days in  a suit as it is!

Since I am one of those old timers who still wears a blazer to fly (it saves packing and wrinkling it), it is not problem. I have a change in my roll aboard to wear on dis-embarkation day, and pack my last night clothing, except the blazer in the roll aboard. The formal clothes go out before dinner and have been collected by the time I return to my suite for the evening. 

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I wonder if this is something new for the QE Alaska itineraries. I know Cunard used to specify "Jacket Optional" on embarkation day for their QV Mediterranean fly cruises. This is this first time I've seen this mentioned on other types of cruises (and on the last evening rather than embarkation day). Are others seeing "Jacket Optional" on other itineraries? Not seeing it on our upcoming QM2 crossings, but I can see why they might do that on itineraries such as the QE Alaska itineraries where the last day is not a sea day.

I just thought that the jacket optional on embarkation day was to accommodate someone who might not have had their luggage delivered before dinner--especially with them moving the time of the early sitting to 5:30 instead of six. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, thanks for that. So I didn't misinterpret your post after all. I'll be interested to see if this is indeed a sign of things to come or just for Alaska.

bluemarble,

On my two bookings, Q921B, M924, no mention of optional jacket. 

Details

Q921B 24 Jul, 2019

Northern Atlantic Eastbound Crossing And Iceland, 15 Nights

Queen Elizabeth

11 Smart Attire (no mention of optional jacket):

Embarkation day

All 6 Port days,

4 Sea days

4 Gala Attire:

On Sea days (one Roaring Twenties, one Royal Cunard Ball)

No mention of dress for Disembarkation day

M924 11 Aug, 2019

Dance The Atlantic, 7 Nights (Westbound crossing)

Queen Mary 2

4 Smart Attire (no mention of optional jacket):

Embarkation day

3 Sea days

3 Gala Attire:

On Sea days (one Black & White Ball, one Roaring Twenties)

No mention of dress for Disembarkation day

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

I just thought that the jacket optional on embarkation day was to accommodate someone who might not have had their luggage delivered before dinner--especially with them moving the time of the early sitting to 5:30 instead of six. 

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about the dining times being changed. I see a discussion about that now on several of the roll call threads for QE's Alaska cruises. Apparently Cunard stated that is being done "in order to complement the full itinerary and land tours schedule". Not sure I understand that as a rationale for moving the dining times earlier rather than later, but so be it I guess.

I suppose that shift in the dining times would indeed provide further justification for making embarkation day "jacket optional" on those voyages. In practice, I've heard they will make exceptions to the jacket requirement for those whose luggage hasn't made it to their cabins prior to dinner for whatever reason on other voyages anyway. It's just that I haven't seen embarkation day specifically stated as "jacket optional" before, except for QV's Mediterranean fly cruises the past few years. And I can't say I've seen the last evening's dress code stated as "jacket optional" before either.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about the dining times being changed. I see a discussion about that now on several of the roll call threads for QE's Alaska cruises. Apparently Cunard stated that is being done "in order to complement the full itinerary and land tours schedule". Not sure I understand that as a rationale for moving the dining times earlier rather than later, but so be it I guess.

I suppose that shift in the dining times would indeed provide further justification for making embarkation day "jacket optional" on those voyages. In practice, I've heard they will make exceptions to the jacket requirement for those whose luggage hasn't made it to their cabins prior to dinner for whatever reason on other voyages anyway. It's just that I haven't seen embarkation day specifically stated as "jacket optional" before, except for QV's Mediterranean fly cruises the past few years. And I can't say I've seen the last evening's dress code stated as "jacket optional" before either.

Nor me Bluemarble.

I believe though that it started when the ship was navigating around Japan and a different line was spun by Cunard as to the rationale.

Clarification Jacket optional first evenings only ( Alaska)

Just to clarify re jacket optional. The VP for my upcoming Alaska on the 20th June ( ex Vancouver) is optional for the first evening only !

I disembark back into Vancouver the morning of the 30th June,  for my last evening on the 29th my VP is 'Jacket required' !

For those guests either joining or continuing onward on the evening of 30th June the VP is jacket optional.

These Alaska trips are  being considered the same as the Med Fly/cruises for first evenings.  

12 minutes ago, JB9302 said:

On our final evening on QE 2017 cruise the Captain relaxed the dress code to accommodate  final packing so no Jackets were required at dinner or elsewhere on the ship .

That must be a first, never experienced that before, did he/she give a reason ?  As far as I know guests don't usually have any problems with their packing on evenings before disembarkation.  

17 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

That must be a first, never experienced that before, did he/she give a reason ?  As far as I know guests don't usually have any problems with their packing on evenings before disembarkation.  

No reason given , but most people took up on it and we found it little more comfortable in the theatre which was very hot/stuffy most nights .

Thanks to those that have replied to help clarify what the dress codes are on their QE voyages. To summarize:

yorkshirephil reports both the first and last evenings are jacket optional on the May 31 QE Alaska cruise (I deduced his cruise from the roll call).

david,Mississauga reports only the first evening is jacket optional on the June 10 QE Alaska cruise.

Bell Boy reports only the first evening is jacket optional on the June 20 QE Alaska cruise.

Dranuc2016 reports no evenings are jacket optional on the July 24 QE Eastbound Crossing and Iceland.

Other than the last evening of the May 31 QE voyage which may be a one-off or a glitch in the VP, I think It's safe to reach the same conclusion as Bell Boy that the QE Alaska cruises are being treated the same as the QV Mediterranean fly cruises and there is no general trend yet to make the final evening jacket optional (for Alaska or otherwise).

• Like 1

That's a great idea, LL.

I hope we have LOTS of formal nights on our round trip TA in December and that few or no passengers dress down on smart nights. We've been on Norwegian only our other two times, and it was really sad to dress for a nice dinner at an expensive specialty restaurant and see most others in shorts and T-shirts!

On 5/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, JB9302 said:

On our final evening on QE 2017 cruise the Captain relaxed the dress code to accommodate  final packing so no Jackets were required at dinner or elsewhere on the ship .

I was under the impression that such matters generally fell to the Entertainment Director.