Shopping Question

debnrick

First time to Mexican Riviera.  Are their close shopping areas near the ports at Cabo, Mazatlan and PV? Preferably, local artisans. And do they accept USD or only peso’s? Thank you. 

In Mazatlán, the ship docks in a working commercial port.  If you leave the ship, you must take a free tram to the terminal building.  Inside (and outside) the terminal building, there are all the vendors your heart desires -- Mexican blankets, jewelry, leather goods, tequila, vanilla, ……….   All of them accept US dollars, many take credit cards.

Once you leave the terminal area, there vendors in the downtown area [downtown is walkable from the ship] and "the Golden Zone" [need to take a taxi [in Mazatlan, a golf-cart]] with even more tourist goods.  Again, all will accept US dollars.  However, they might credit you with only 15 pesos per dollar, even if the official exchange rate is 18 or 19.  So you pay extra by using US dollars.

In PV, you will probably take a mini-van to the "Mercado", a long walking area filled with tourist shops.  Again, they are happy to take US dollars, and again, they will give you a bad exchange rate.

Cabo is a very Americanized area built for Americans.  The prices are highest here.  Cabo is a tender port, and as soon as you get off the tender, there are tourist shops happy to sell you all the tourist stuff you want.  But as I said, the prices are highest in Cabo.

Enjoy the cruise!!

I’m thinking Mike and I should write a book on MX Riv cruising. 

What Mike said, plus; old town PV has some nice shops and local artist wares. We’ve looked and metal art but haven’t bought due to having to fly it home. Once day we’ll pull trigger. We also found local art shops in old town PV too (paintings). 

Cabo’s marina has local vendors but you’ll see some of the same stuff at many different place in MX. In Cabo we’ve gone to the mall at the end of the marina and have built a collection of Mexican plate ware. Think salsa bowls, guacamole bowls, Mexican glassware, spoon rests, shot glasses and margarita glasses. 

The port in PV had some decent jewelry and we were able to make some good deals. 

Mazatlan is usually just a beach day for us. We really haven’t bought much there over the years but we do like visiting the Gold Zone for food, fun, drink and stuff (things one doesn’t need but occasionally buys). 

Hope this helps. 

Ca_Cruzing, we have purchased some large items in PV -- just be sure to negotiate the shipping charges as part of the overall purchase price!  

We bought a large metal jaguar from Galeria el Triunfo.  This is a short drive or long walk (taxis don't want to take us there from the port, it is too short) away from town, just past the bull ring.  They often have some interesting stuff and we visit this store every trip.  We hand carried the jaguar back to the ship [I bought a small cart to wheel it in] and then home.

On the Malecon, we bought some furniture and other large items from a store called Ole, with shipping included.  This worked out well.  Ole has at least two stores, the one with the furniture is the one further north.

• Like 1

In Puerto Vallarta go to the Rio Cuale.  Along it's banks are lots of artists.  If you walk to the top you'll find an art school.  Have seen good prices on souvenirs at the Mercado Municipal on the third bridge from the ocean.  Upstairs are the restaurants.  

In Cabo go to Mexican Pottery Los Cabos at Plaza Alamar, Francisco I Madero 8, Centro, San Lucas, 23450 Cabo San Lucas, B.C.S., Mexico

Bought some small tiles for a counter top here. 

In Mazatlan go to the Mercado.  Food upstairs and lots of shopping inside.  We'll get some tamales and Agua Frescas to enjoy at the Plaza in front of the church.

Huichol art work, is quite popular in PV.   My hubby & I first honeymooned here in 1986 and began collecting. Last time visiting we saw artists creating near if not on the beach of the Malecon. We enjoy our land vacations in PV , as well on a cruise stop. It has grown so much!!!

We enjoy the Rio Cuale area, walking down to the beach area for something cold to drink , toesies in the sand. And, usually finding something to purchase. It's really enjoyable to walk through this older part of PV. Be aware the Timeshare Folks hit you up even in this area. We've been enjoying lunch and have been asked, "How are you enjoying your vacation etc etc"  Just a heads up. 🙂

It's not a vacation without going to Pipi's for lunch. For exact location, take a look on T.A.  Been going fir a long time, however, it's been about 5 years now since we were in town. We sure hope it's still around!  Many memories & good food. 🤗

Personally, we'd recommend walking up the streets from the Malecon (if that ends up being your Shopping location).  Take your time to locate one of a kind stores.  Have a wonderful vacation!!

🌻🌻

Edited by Markmom18

• 1 month later...

Next month We'll be in PV for almost 2 weeks  ---- through Labor Day. For shopping,  I want to stop by what was a little store, Peyote People.  

Staying in the Conchal Chinas area, no beach access, but we can always use Hotel Shuttle or Uber it down to Los Muretas Beach. 🏖🏖 Super excited to be going back with my sweet hubby😍😍

Edited by Markmom18