Place besides my cabin for car seats?

We are traveling with a 2 year old and 5 year old and because we are flying in a few days early and renting a car for the pre-cruise part, we’ll have 2 car seats. Aside from keeping them in our  cabins once we board, is there a place Carnival could store them? Or should we just accept the fact that we’ll have to tuck them somewhere in the room? 

10 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just curious, why would this be a problem for keeping in your room?  Stick them in the closet, or in a corner. 

Theyre just so bulky. It is what it is. We’re going to see what car seats are offered in rentals and see if that makes more sense 

Maybe I misunderstood - where's the rental while you're on the boat?  Parked in the lot or returned?  If returned, why not just take Carnival's connection from airport to port.  

Maybe I'm missing the logistics here as to why you can't leave the carseats in the car, if you are parking at port.

And if you're returning the car, how are you getting from rental return to port?  Taxi?  If so, why not just take the taxi to begin with (still need car seats...).

However, to answer your question - if you take it onto the boat, you have to store it in your room.  The five year old can probably get away with a booster (smaller), but your 2 year old will still need a full sized one.  You will need to consume some of your closet space if you want it 'out of the way'.

5 minutes ago, ethereal65 said:

Maybe I misunderstood - where's the rental while you're on the boat?  Parked in the lot or returned?  If returned, why not just take Carnival's connection from airport to port.  

Maybe I'm missing the logistics here as to why you can't leave the carseats in the car, if you are parking at port.

And if you're returning the car, how are you getting from rental return to port?  Taxi?  If so, why not just take the taxi to begin with (still need car seats...).

However, to answer your question - if you take it onto the boat, you have to store it in your room.  The five year old can probably get away with a booster (smaller), but your 2 year old will still need a full sized one.  You will need to consume some of your closet space if you want it 'out of the way'.

I've only begun to figure out the logistics for our trip but I do know that we plan to arrive in Orlando a few days before the cruise so we can do 1 day at Magic Kingdom.  Initially my plan is to rent a car and either bring our car seats with us or use car seats that the rental company provides.  If the former, we'll need to store the car seats in our cabin because we'll return the rental before boarding the ship.  If the latter, then no need to store because we won't have them.  

As I talk this out... unless there's some crazy fee, we'll probably do the rental company provided car seats and arrange for returning the rental at the Port Canaveral area.  The only thing holding me back is whatever details I can get on the actual car seats - i'm assuming they'll be just as good as what we currently use, but I do want to make sure 

2 minutes ago, 773 Miles Away said:

I've only begun to figure out the logistics for our trip but I do know that we plan to arrive in Orlando a few days before the cruise so we can do 1 day at Magic Kingdom.  Initially my plan is to rent a car and either bring our car seats with us or use car seats that the rental company provides.  If the former, we'll need to store the car seats in our cabin because we'll return the rental before boarding the ship.  If the latter, then no need to store because we won't have them.  

As I talk this out... unless there's some crazy fee, we'll probably do the rental company provided car seats and arrange for returning the rental at the Port Canaveral area.  The only thing holding me back is whatever details I can get on the actual car seats - i'm assuming they'll be just as good as what we currently use, but I do want to make sure 

Gotcha.  That makes sense.

I would imagine the rental companies must abide by certain guidelines for their carseats in order to prevent themselves from being responsible for any accidents.

Also, you may already know this, but a standard car seat is not compatible with airlines, nor are standard boosters, so they can't be used in the seats.  So, the unfortunate thing is lugging them around the airports - unless it's a rare airline that let's you check it with your check bags without charging you a check bag fee for it.

Good luck with the planning and research and have fun!

9 hours ago, ethereal65 said:

Also, you may already know this, but a standard car seat is not compatible with airlines, nor are standard boosters, so they can't be used in the seats.  So, the unfortunate thing is lugging them around the airports - unless it's a rare airline that let's you check it with your check bags without charging you a check bag fee for it.

More information on using child restraint devices on an aircraft. The attached is from the US FAA, but should provide information for everyone.  Please check with your airline for their requirements.

https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children/ 

Edited by Homosassa

20 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

this doesn't really answer your question, but I also have a 2 and a 5 year old and when we travel, we use the safe rider system.  it's amazing and storage is super simple. might be worth looking into.

https://ridesafertravelvest.com/

they also have them on amazon.

I've been looking at this for a 5 year who will be traveling with us in February.  So much better than lugging a car seat around.  It's nice to hear from someone who has used them.

1 hour ago, mek said:

I've been looking at this for a 5 year who will be traveling with us in February.  So much better than lugging a car seat around.  It's nice to hear from someone who has used them.

yes, we love it.  we use it mostly in taxis when we need to take them in the city.  the first couple of times you use it, it takes getting used to, but then it's a breeze after that.   my son calls it a robot because he feels like a robot when he wears it. 

10 hours ago, ethereal65 said:

unless it's a rare airline that let's you check it with your check bags without charging you a check bag fee for it.

Most airlines allow you to check your car seat free of charge.  They will also gate check your stroller for free.

22 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

this doesn't really answer your question, but I also have a 2 and a 5 year old and when we travel, we use the safe rider system.  it's amazing and storage is super simple. might be worth looking into.

We have used both the ride safer system as well as the fly safe system for air travel.  I agree these systems are so simple to use, in fact, being the Grandparents to a 5 year old, and only having 1 car seat, we put the ride safer in Grandpa's truck in case he has to make an unscheduled pick up.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, pyropoodle said:

Never heard of this, but will definitely check them out! Thanks 

On May 20, 2019 at 11:25 AM, pyropoodle said:

I'd be concerned about this on an airplane as the FAA specifically prohibits the use of boosters or safety harnesses on aircraft. And just FYI for anyone else, the Ride Safer website also says it is for children 3 years and 30lbs or more.

8 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

I'd be concerned about this on an airplane as the FAA specifically prohibits the use of boosters or safety harnesses on aircraft. And just FYI for anyone else, the Ride Safer website also says it is for children 3 years and 30lbs or more.

there are faa approved devices out there, all of which are less of a hassle than taking a heavy car seat on vacation.   The CARES system is one such that is recommended for air travel.  i also included an amazon link for a bunch of others

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cares+harness&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3oilxfKu4gIViJ6zCh1U-gxQEAAYASAAEgJPE_D_BwE&hvadid=241912510311&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004169&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15769661317128937260&hvtargid=kwd-3509101965&hydadcr=24662_10400876&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_2vjhmkt0tl_e

I do not regret the safe rider, especially in cars and cabs.  it has been a lifesaver for us, especially since we live in NYC.   you are not required to have a car seat in a cab, and most cab drivers get a little...annoyed...if you ask them to install one for a short ride, so with the harness, it's just an extra 60 seconds and we are off.  kids are safe and mamma is happy. 

Edited by pyropoodle

On 5/20/2019 at 12:14 PM, coevan said:

car rental companies all have kids seats, why drag them around

no, one should never-ever rent a car seat. It's a life saving device, and improper cleaning or handling will compromise the car seat. You wouldn't know whether the car seat has ever been in a car accident, and the company never bothered to replaced it. It could have been pooped, peed or puked on, and someone may not know the proper cleaning procedure and simply use harsh chemicals to disinfect the seat. They may submerge the harness straps which is a big no-no and will ruin them.

So, when you rent a car seat, your kid becomes a crash test dummy.

To OP: store them in the closet or under the beds if they fit. I cruised with a Britax Frontier and stored it in the closet, upright. Do not store in the shower, please - too humid.

Also, check out Family Cruising board for more tips and tricks.

And Traveling with Children board on babycenter.com - https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling-with-children - it has a ton of useful info, especially, about flying with car seats.

What seats are you bringing? how tall and heavy are the kids? is 5 yo big and mature enough for a no back booster?

Go-GoBabyz-Travelmate-Review-Installed-with-Cosco-Scenera.jpg

IMG_1789-225x300.jpg

QU9BvrScgH0wumC9HYBTU9MHVxQ6oS9c_lg.jpg

zYGmNfvcZCL2SsltDHPW0Gx07Emghe1y_lg.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, ethereal65 said:

that is completely untrue. It is mandatory for the US airlines to let you use your car seats on the plane for all children under 18 years of age. Most US car seats are FAA certified. As a matter of fact, I don't know of a single US car seat that is NOT FAA certified.

You cannot use a booster on the plane, because boosters work with shoulder-lap belts, and planes only have a lap belt. The seat must have internal harness to be used on the plane.

Airlines also allow you to gate check the car seat for free, but the only way to ensure its safety is to use it on the plane. Airlines also allow you to check the car seats as luggage, but if you do check, do the gate check instead. The way the airlines handle the luggage could damage the car seat.

Please do not spread false information.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy