Attire acceptable for formal night?

dchan865

On 5/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, JMann404 said:

Just returned from the May 19 Star Princess cruise to Alaska. Dress of any kind was acceptable from totally casual to formal. Very few formal. Unless you specifically want to dress formal don't waste the space.

Thanks for the update.  I do hate not dressing nice like we do for hot weather cruise. Alaska (the first time) is a challenge.  We want to be prepared and have to pack for 20 days. 

Thanks, Bobbi

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You obviously have lower personal standards with regards to what is formal dress and what is not than what I have.

LOWER !!! ???  how about let's just say different people have different standards ... not lower not higher ... just different

so non-judgemental much ...

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I have plenty of space .

:.))

I'll also have room in my steamer trunk after I get rid of the dozen cartons of cigarettes,  case of wine, two cases of soda pop, a case of bottled water,   10 # of coffee and the barrel chair.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

LOWER !!! ???  how about let's just say different people have different standards ... not lower not higher ... just different

so non-judgemental much ...

No I am sorry but IMO if you think wearing jeans is formal then you dont have different standards but lower standards when you think it is OK to walk in MDR in jeans when people are wearing suits and ties or dinner suits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

No I am sorry but IMO if you think wearing jeans is formal then you dont have different standards but lower standards when you think it is OK to walk in MDR in jeans when people are wearing suits and ties or dinner suits.

IMO, so it is your opinion, and your opinion only.  I am genuinely curious why what someone else is wearing to sit down to dinner negatively impacts your own experience?   I have never once concerned myself with what someone else was wearing at dinner on a cruise ship or anywhere else for that matter. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As this attire discussion grows in numbers of players and our opinions become highly divided, why not ask the cruise line to put as divider in the dining room?  On one side of this wall guests come as they wish no matter the attire from overalls to swimsuits.  On the other, gowns and dark suits are strictly required for entry.  Everything else in this fabulous dining room the same for all comers.  

I, for one, a frequent cruiser, will not be pleased to be seated at a large table dressed to the nines with several guests wearing shorts and flip flops.  The combination would be off balance for me.  My evenings on board these magnificent vessels are geared to take me to a special night out that begins with dinner and theater.  Afterwards, still dressed in what I deem as evening attire, I stop for a drink, some guitar, and say goodnight.

Does my thinking seem agreeable to anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 2old4this said:

As this attire discussion grows in numbers of players and our opinions become highly divided, why not ask the cruise line to put as divider in the dining room?  On one side of this wall guests come as they wish no matter the attire from overalls to swimsuits.  On the other, gowns and dark suits are strictly required for entry.  Everything else in this fabulous dining room the same for all comers.  

I, for one, a frequent cruiser, will not be pleased to be seated at a large table dressed to the nines with several guests wearing shorts and flip flops.  The combination would be off balance for me.  My evenings on board these magnificent vessels are geared to take me to a special night out that begins with dinner and theater.  Afterwards, still dressed in what I deem as evening attire, I stop for a drink, some guitar, and say goodnight.

I've said in other threads, make on DR smart casual and another formal on formal nights.  Solves the same problem without the divider wall so the dining room doesn't look like a cubicle office.  If the she only has one DR, have a formal night sitting time and a smart casual sitting time.

In most of these threads, the biggest complaint for folks who don't want to dress up is they don't want to miss the lobster or other "special foods for the evening.  Would solve the issue for everyone.

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You obviously have lower personal standards with regards to what is formal dress and what is not than what I have.

Nice insult.

My standards are my standards that do not need your approval.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2old4this said:

No. If you do not like who is seated with you there is always the option to move yourself to a different table/venue.  Who knows the people who are dressed the way you dislike may have taken more cruises than you have on Princess. Could be.

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

No. If you do not like who is seated with you there is always the option to move yourself to a different table/venue.  Who knows the people who are dressed the way you dislike may have taken more cruises than you have on Princess. Could be.

Frankly, I could care less who has cruised the most, Potstech.   I simply wanted to make clear I have long preferred a tux code for that one special formal night and I pack accordingly.  I have long experienced diners who don't see the colorful surroundings  of a restaurant, black and white clothing, low lighting, and servers in white gloves, as impacting their joy of eating their lobster . . . Or whatever it is they want before them.  Be sure, I don't dress in dark suits at home and my wife is in her street clothes, too, when we eat.  Please bear with me when I say my dinner in my tux in surroundings I can hardly afford, followed by performances in the theater, a stop for red wine in a cozy bar,  and then a few steps to my cabin, is worth the weight of my 'dressy' attire.  I realize much of the feeling I get when I have my way at formal night is little more than fantasy.  I try to live it fully.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 8:53 AM, memoak said:

That is just fine - for the first time in 40 cruises I am leaving the tux at home and just bringing some button down shirts, slacks and sports coat

It's been several years since I've bothered with a sports coat.

14 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Note the key word in the above [emphasis added]. 

9 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I've said in other threads, make on DR smart casual and another formal on formal nights.  Solves the same problem without the divider wall so the dining room doesn't look like a cubicle office.  If the she only has one DR, have a formal night sitting time and a smart casual sitting time.

In most of these threads, the biggest complaint for folks who don't want to dress up is they don't want to miss the lobster or other "special foods for the evening.  Would solve the issue for everyone.

That's the only reason we do attend the DR on formal nights- The food!

We couldn't care less about dressing up & only go casually.

If Princess did care about any dress code they would accommodate everyone with something like you described, but as you well know they don't & leave it up to the individuals to choose. 

6 hours ago, 2old4this said:

Frankly, I could care less who has cruised the most, Potstech.   I simply wanted to make clear I have long preferred a tux code for that one special formal night and I pack accordingly.  I have long experienced diners who don't see the colorful surroundings  of a restaurant, black and white clothing, low lighting, and servers in white gloves, as impacting their joy of eating their lobster . . . Or whatever it is they want before them.  Be sure, I don't dress in dark suits at home and my wife is in her street clothes, too, when we eat.  Please bear with me when I say my dinner in my tux in surroundings I can hardly afford, followed by performances in the theater, a stop for red wine in a cozy bar,  and then a few steps to my cabin, is worth the weight of my 'dressy' attire.  I realize much of the feeling I get when I have my way at formal night is little more than fantasy.  I try to live it fully.

You were the one who brought up that you cruised frequently.  Apparently you do care.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 2old4this said:

passengers don't even have to pack a tux/suit anymore, the have rentals available. Hanging in your cabin/suite when you arrive. It's a wonderful possibility

I have an idea.  Let's bring back a steerage class.  Same price and amenities (because some of us are elite and own Carnival stock) but you are sent there based on what you wear to formal night as determined by the "upper class" (self-designated) on here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

passengers don't even have to pack a tux/suit anymore, the have rentals available. Hanging in your cabin/suite when you arrive. It's a wonderful possibility

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

At a cost of about $100.00 and provided by a third party vendor.  Not worth it for just two meals.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

At a cost of about $100.00 and provided by a third party vendor.  Not worth it for just two meals.

😄 whats with you and this " third party vendor" thing.  Good deal for the cost of  the convenience. I bet ya spend that much on shore excursions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

😄 whats with you and this " third party vendor" thing.  Good deal for the cost of  the convenience. I bet ya spend that much on shore excursions.

This is not a program provided by Princess.  You must contact a third party vendor and they provide the formal wear to the ship.  Check it out.

If I do spend more on excursions it would be for what I want to do, would be way more enjoyable and would last longer that a formal dinner. And I would have much better stories and memories for the expenditure of my money. 

Edited by Potstech