How many ships in port?

KyOh

I know that there is a website that lists the names of ships that will be in a specific port on a specific day.  Could someone kindly give me the address?  Thanks.

Just Google the city name followed by "port" and you will find a half dozen or so to choose from along with other info.  Usually the first 4 or 5 results all have the info you want

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

This what we use.

http://m.cruisett.com/p/

Just tried this for our upcoming cruise and it doesn't show any of the Viking Ships in any of the ports.

Perhaps they don't get the information until closer to sailing time (December).

I usually just do what the other post said, that is to google the port city's web sites for ship arrivals and seem to find things there just fine.

Viking appears to be missing from a lot of the major port sites.

Assuming you know when your Viking cruise is in port, this site gives number of passengers from other ships that you’ll be rubbing elbows with.

When researching ports, I always search first for the port's cruise ship schedule. Many ports provide this information in the public domain and it is generally the most accurate.

A few other websites are available - cruise timetables, cruise mapper, crew centre, cruise TT. However these are all 3rd party website and have errors, especially when cruises cross the dateline in either direction. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Just tried this for our upcoming cruise and it doesn't show any of the Viking Ships in any of the ports.

Perhaps they don't get the information until closer to sailing time (December).

I usually just do what the other post said, that is to google the port city's web sites for ship arrivals and seem to find things there just fine.

Agree. It has never shown our Alaskan cruise. 

17 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And that site has our date in port incorrect by a day too. 

Pushka - I suspect they will all show Orion arriving May 27th and departing May 26th. When you check the Alaska ports they will most likely show Ketchikan on May 28th.

Took me a few months checking dates on our next cruise to figure out why they had errors. Finally figured out it was the dateline, as the dates were accurate until that point. I suspect from departing Sydney, Orion dates were correct until it crossed the dateline, then they were showing a day late.

Just checked the details for our VO cruise on whatsinport.com, and it's ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.  

This website has stood me in good stead for years, and it also gives very useful information such as national and other holidays for the relevant dates.

I wouldn't bother with any other website for checking an itinerary, but I do also double check the berth arrangements with the relevant port authorities.  The only one which usually is a problem with finding out the exact berth in advance is loosely termed as Venice.  Once or twice it's been a little bit awkward to discover the precise berth with Amsterdam, but otherwise we've had no problems (but in depth research has overcome the Amsterdam situation), but Venice remains a consistent problem.

Well now I am more confused than ever !  Our itinerary states that we on the Jupiter will be in Rosyth for our Edinburgh stop on the 3rd of July.  That's what it said last summer (same port - different itinerary) but we were in Leith instead.  One of our guides said "nobody ever docks in Rosyth!".  Checked out the "crew-center" site and it lists Jupiter at Leith on the 3rd but "what's in port" says Rosyth ... guess we will have to wait till we get there!  Was hoping for Leith as we want to go off on our own and Rosyth is pretty remote ... 

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Pushka - I suspect they will all show Orion arriving May 27th and departing May 26th. When you check the Alaska ports they will most likely show Ketchikan on May 28th.

Took me a few months checking dates on our next cruise to figure out why they had errors. Finally figured out it was the dateline, as the dates were accurate until that point. I suspect from departing Sydney, Orion dates were correct until it crossed the dateline, then they were showing a day late.

Yep that pesky International Date line has caught a few people out. We arrive into Vancouver tonight in your neck of the woods. From Australia we travelled to San Francisco where it was cold and wet, then over to Grand Canyon last weekend where it snowed and I had to bring out the Alaska gear early, and now up to Canada. For some warmth!😂

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Yep that pesky International Date line has caught a few people out. We arrive into Vancouver tonight in your neck of the woods. From Australia we travelled to San Francisco where it was cold and wet, then over to Grand Canyon last weekend where it snowed and I had to bring out the Alaska gear early, and now up to Canada. For some warmth!😂

On Sunday, the forecast is for some nice sunny weather. Rather than hanging around the city and/or Canada Place, if you can drop bags are you interested in getting out of the city. I've looked at some options close to the Skytrain and suggest Rocky Point Park in Port Moody might be of interest.

You can take the Skytrain from Waterfront out to Port Moody (about 40 mins with 1 change). On arrival Moody Station, it is about 1/2 mile walk across the bridge over the railway lines to the park, which has green space, a long jetty into the Inlet, couple of restaurants and a number of craft breweries (food trucks).

If this is of interest I can probably meet you at the station.

6 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

That’s one of the many reasons we use a TA.

TA gets their information from somewhere, they don't have a crystal ball so not sure what this means.  Anyway, ports can change, at the drop of hat for any number of reasons so Moses does not deliver these tablets from the mount.  You have to feel secure but still be flexible.  Just like outside shore excursion people have to be aware if plans change for our docking locations.

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

TA gets their information from somewhere, they don't have a crystal ball so not sure what this means.  Anyway, ports can change, at the drop of hat for any number of reasons so Moses does not deliver these tablets from the mount.  You have to feel secure but still be flexible.  Just like outside shore excursion people have to be aware if plans change for our docking locations.

They don’t have a crystal ball, but the good ones have excellent connections in certain cruise lines that they can go to for info, concessions, etc. Molymoo was ready to throw in the towel without a key piece of info that would help maximize her cruising experience. I’m surprised no one offered that overworked “Tellus” suggestion!

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On Sunday, the forecast is for some nice sunny weather. Rather than hanging around the city and/or Canada Place, if you can drop bags are you interested in getting out of the city. I've looked at some options close to the Skytrain and suggest Rocky Point Park in Port Moody might be of interest.

You can take the Skytrain from Waterfront out to Port Moody (about 40 mins with 1 change). On arrival Moody Station, it is about 1/2 mile walk across the bridge over the railway lines to the park, which has green space, a long jetty into the Inlet, couple of restaurants and a number of craft breweries (food trucks).

If this is of interest I can probably meet you at the station.

That’s such a lovely offer and Thankyou! We ended up booking Fly Over Canada for 2pm so likely we will be doing a 12pm checkout then depositing the luggage, maybe get a queue ticket for boarding then off to Fly over. Come back to Viking and have a snack or whatever they are offering then hopefully start the immigration process around 4.30pm. 

13 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

They don’t have a crystal ball, but the good ones have excellent connections in certain cruise lines that they can go to for info, concessions, etc. Molymoo was ready to throw in the towel without a key piece of info that would help maximize her cruising experience. I’m surprised no one offered that overworked “Tellus” suggestion!

Actually Molymoo was not ready to "through in the towel" ... just wondering what port we would be in so we could plan a day ... we have been to Edinburgh and spent a fair amount of time there and would be interested in "doing our own thing" if the port was relatively close to the center of town.  If not we will go with the included tour and leave it at that.   Not a big deal ... just wondering and  also wondering why these presumably  reliable sites don't agree.  

FWIW ... there are many factors involved in the decision to use a TA or not ... it is personal and frankly in my circle of acquaintances I have heard some real horror stories from people using TA's ... and have one myself for that matter.  Prefer to do it on my own and so far things have been just fine!  The almighty TA is not always going to be the great panacea to all travel woes!

On 5/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, Pushka said:

That’s such a lovely offer and Thankyou! We ended up booking Fly Over Canada for 2pm so likely we will be doing a 12pm checkout then depositing the luggage, maybe get a queue ticket for boarding then off to Fly over. Come back to Viking and have a snack or whatever they are offering then hopefully start the immigration process around 4.30pm. 

Enjoy, should have suggested it earlier, but wanted to check the weather first.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Enjoy, should have suggested it earlier, but wanted to check the weather first.

We have had a stunning day in Vancouver. What a beautiful city. Ok weather helped but it’s just a lovely place.