Escape (little) review

I've learned a lot from this forum so thought I would try to give a little for a change 😉 My husband & I sailed the Escape to Bermuda May 12th, we had a balcony cabin, the drink package, and the 3 dining package. These are just some thoughts about the cruise and I will be happy to try and answer any questions.

Specialty dining - we ate at Bayamo, Cagney's & La Cucina

Bayamo - I enjoyed the food, the service was very good but I prefer the old Ocean Blue menu.

Cagney's - I was nervous about this one after reading some reviews, but I have to say, for us, it was very good

La Cucina - we ate here 2x  & both times the service was very good, but also both times, they forgot the bread (which we really didn't need, but would have loved)

I found the service on the ship to be excellent, of course you always meet a couple who do not look happy but I chalk that up to bad days, or ready to go home, and move on. You can always find someone happier & nicer. The senior staff were very visible & friendly, always stopping to say hello, make sure everything is okay and asking to please let them know, while you are on the ship, if you have a problem. Gave out their business cards with their numbers & asked you to call with any issues. I didn't think there were enough things going on poolside. When we left it was raining & the 2nd day was cloudy, windy & cool, so those days were excused. But the rest of the week was beautiful, sunny & warm. Everyone wanted to be outside, obvious by the crowds by pool & bars, so why not have more activities/entertainment there? There was a band that would play for 45 minutes maybe twice a day (with about 3 hours between sets). That part was a disappointment, we always enjoy the outside activities. I believe this was the cruise director's first cruise in that capacity so maybe he just needs some more experience. 

Overall it was a great cruise & I'm sad it's over. Of course, already looking at booking the next one 😀 Hope this helps someone in some way  but like I said, feel free to ask any questions & I'll do my best to answer them.

Happy cruising

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:

Overall it was a great cruise & I'm sad it's over. Of course, already looking at booking the next one 

Thanks for your thoughts!  Seems you liked more things than you didn't like. :classic_cool:

When and where is your next cruise?

8 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:

I believe this was the cruise director's first cruise in that capacity so maybe he just needs some more experience. 

Who was the Cruise Director on your sailing? I was just on the Escape in April and the CD was Jackie. It was his first week on the Escape. Would be surprised if they have another new CD already.

Thank You for your review. I am on the Escape in 5 months and 6 days (Oct 27th, 2018),

I am going to the Bahamas for a week.  I also have good time on NCL of course it could be the suite.however no suite this time but an AFT balcony which I have had before them and like them very much.

I always seem to make friends on a cruise, last year I met a couple from the NYC area while I live in Buffalo but after talking and I passing the test ( I was requested our friend's name)  who was a volunteer fireman while I knew him at this full time job.  It  took me a couple of tries but I came up with his name. Even though I could not really talk about him since we only talked on the phone and I met him once or twice in person we got along great.   I also met a woman who lost her husband a year earlier and she was on the cruise by herself.   We made her part of our 8pm after dinner get together which some times lasted till midnight-1am  but she had a good time not being  by herself and i would see her the next morning with her book by the pool getting some sun.  

Enough about that thanks again for your input and I can not wait to leave for NYC and the Escape.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Thanks for your thoughts!  Seems you liked more things than you didn't like. :classic_cool:

When and where is your next cruise?

My pleasure 😉 I'm always happy on vacation so look for the good & try to ignore the bad lol 

Not sure yet about the next one. If it was up to me it would be this year but husband doesn't get as much time as me so maybe not until this time next year. We like to leave from NY so thinking maybe the Encore to Bermuda next May. What about you, any cruises coming up? Always love to hear everyone's stories. 

27 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Who was the Cruise Director on your sailing? I was just on the Escape in April and the CD was Jackie. It was his first week on the Escape. Would be surprised if they have another new CD already.

It was Jacky so I guess I misunderstood him when he mentioned his first cruise. How did you feel about him? I really didn't see him or his staff too much & they weren't very friendly when we did.

12 minutes ago, Sam The Cat said:

Thank You for your review. I am on the Escape in 5 months and 6 days (Oct 27th, 2018),

I am going to the Bahamas for a week.  I also have good time on NCL of course it could be the suite.however no suite this time but an AFT balcony which I have had before them and like them very much.

I always seem to make friends on a cruise, last year I met a couple from the NYC area while I live in Buffalo but after talking and I passing the test ( I was requested our friend's name)  who was a volunteer fireman while I knew him at this full time job.  It  took me a couple of tries but I came up with his name. Even though I could not really talk about him since we only talked on the phone and I met him once or twice in person we got along great.   I also met a woman who lost her husband a year earlier and she was on the cruise by herself.   We made her part of our 8pm after dinner get together which some times lasted till midnight-1am  but she had a good time not being  by herself and i would see her the next morning with her book by the pool getting some sun.  

Enough about that thanks again for your input and I can not wait to leave for NYC and the Escape.

Have you been on the Escape? I'm sure you'll love it, it's a great ship with a fantastic crew. I always make friends also, one of my favorite parts of cruising. That was so nice of you to include her, I did a solo last November, and while I was nervous, it was great meeting people & having them also include me, made me feel less alone. Have a great time on your cruise! Would love to hear about it when you come back & get your thoughts. Happy cruising!!

1 hour ago, worktocruise610 said:

My pleasure 😉 I'm always happy on vacation so look for the good & try to ignore the bad lol 

Not sure yet about the next one. If it was up to me it would be this year but husband doesn't get as much time as me so maybe not until this time next year. We like to leave from NY so thinking maybe the Encore to Bermuda next May. What about you, any cruises coming up? Always love to hear everyone's stories. 

It was Jacky so I guess I misunderstood him when he mentioned his first cruise. How did you feel about him? I really didn't see him or his staff too much & they weren't very friendly when we did.

I saw the assistant cruise director far more frequently and really liked him.

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I saw the assistant cruise director far more frequently and really liked him.

In January, the CD was Alvin . We know Alvin since the time he had just joined NCL and was a member of the cruise director's (Matt Baker at the time) staff (Bingo). I was hoping he would come back by June 2. I am certain that Jacky will not disappoint, but for us, nobody is Alvin!

I wonder if the rest of his activities staff is on board: Slyvie, Issac, Jamilla?

Edited by Arzeena

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

In January, the CD was Alvin . We know Alvin since the time he had just joined NCL and was a member of the cruise director's (Matt Baker at the time) staff (Bingo). I was hoping he would come back by June 2. I am certain that Jacky will not disappoint, but for us, nobody is Alvin!

I wonder if the rest of his activities staff is on board: Slyvie, Issac, Jamilla?

We had Alvin our last 2 cruises & agree - nobody is Alvin!!!! The only staff I saw was Jacky, Jamie? (asst CD) & another guy (don't remember his name) so not sure about the 3 you mentioned. 

5 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

I've learned a lot from this forum so thought I would try to give a little for a change 😉 My husband & I sailed the Escape to Bermuda May 12th, we had a balcony cabin, the drink package, and the 3 dining package. These are just some thoughts about the cruise and I will be happy to try and answer any questions.

Bayamo - I enjoyed the food, the service was very good but I prefer the old Ocean Blue menu.

Cagney's - I was nervous about this one after reading some reviews, but I have to say, for us, it was very good

La Cucina - we ate here 2x  & both times the service was very good, but also both times, they forgot the bread (which we really didn't need, but would have loved)

I found the service on the ship to be excellent, of course you always meet a couple who do not look happy but I chalk that up to bad days, or ready to go home, and move on. You can always find someone happier & nicer. The senior staff were very visible & friendly, always stopping to say hello, make sure everything is okay and asking to please let them know, while you are on the ship, if you have a problem. Gave out their business cards with their numbers & asked you to call with any issues. I didn't think there were enough things going on poolside. When we left it was raining & the 2nd day was cloudy, windy & cool, so those days were excused. But the rest of the week was beautiful, sunny & warm. Everyone wanted to be outside, obvious by the crowds by pool & bars, so why not have more activities/entertainment there? There was a band that would play for 45 minutes maybe twice a day (with about 3 hours between sets). That part was a disappointment, we always enjoy the outside activities. I believe this was the cruise director's first cruise in that capacity so maybe he just needs some more experience. 

Overall it was a great cruise & I'm sad it's over. Of course, already looking at booking the next one 😀 Hope this helps someone in some way  but like I said, feel free to ask any questions & I'll do my best to answer them.

Happy cruising

We were on the same cruise. And yes the first few days were cold , windy and rainy. The cruise director should have had more things to do. We never saw the cruise director. Prior cruises the CD was always visible. Past cruises we had Bingo Boy “Sinan”, Julie, and John

during the cruise we talked to many people and not one person enjoyed the cruise and these were various ages. There wasn’t enough entertainment. Or you would go to a bar to have a drink and there was always a private function.

they put Dennis Veator who played guitar in Tobacco Road. You could not hear him as you had the people at the bar talking, had people going in and out the waterfront door and you had people walking on the aisle. He played in the brewhouse and you heard him much better

no music by the pool nor Spice H2O

we heard from a family that 3 ropes on the rope course were broken and there wasn’t enough water going down the water slide and people were getting stuck

2 of the elevators were not working properly

other than all of that, the crew was outstanding. Food was very good. Did 5 specialty restaurants and they were yummy. 

This is our 15th cruise with NCL and was disappointed with the Escape

Embarkation was was a breeze but debarkation was mass confusion.

i am glad that the Escape is not going out of NY next year. Looking forward to sailing on the new ship

I was on this cruise as well. I did have dinner at Cagneys and also did see the terrible reviews regarding it. But we had a fabulous dinner there everything was great. I do have to say everyone in our group loved Le bistro's steak over Cagney's.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:05 PM, JoeTec said:

A little off topic but is Matt Baker still around? Our 1st cruise was on the Dawn in 2007 & he was our CD & my kids loved him. They still quote him till this day!

No, i do not think he is in the cruising business anymore.

He married Angie Ortega who was part of the orchestra. Then he was working in St Lucia at a resort as their activities director. Then they moved back to the UK (forgot where exactly). Heard they were working at /had their own entertainment company?

No idea where they are now.

But yes, he was my all time favorite CD too. The last we saw him was in 2010 on the Dawn's very memorable repo to Miami from NYC  in Oct 2010.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:09 PM, Sam The Cat said:

I also met a woman who lost her husband a year earlier and she was on the cruise by herself.   We made her part of our 8pm after dinner get together which some times lasted till midnight-1am  but she had a good time not being  by herself and i would see her the next morning with her book by the pool getting some sun.  

As a fairly new widow, thank you for looking out for a widow sister. That was very kind of you.

• Like 3

You mentioned you had the specialty dining package.  Did you have to pay any up-charges at the a-la-carte restaurants, or was everything included in the package?  Also did you get to see any of the theatre performances?  How were they? What is the duration?  thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.  We are on the Escape in September.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, npater said:

Or you would go to a bar to have a drink and there was always a private function.

This cruise was my second time on the Escape, and the above has really started to annoy me. It happens far too often.

Was on this cruise as well, first time on the Escape.  Really enjoyed both the cruise and the ship itself.  Agree, the cruise entertainment staff was like non-existent.  And the weather was absolutely perfect in Bermuda all 3 days, which is always a plus.  

• Like 1

OP.....great review.  Thanks.  

I too loved my cruise on the Escape.  Beautiful ship. It listed due to weather the first night, but that’s not the fault of the ship or the crew.  Matter of fact, the crew did a wonderful job under very strenuous circumstances.

I also agree with you about Bayamo.  Ocean Blue is/was better.  And, there were never many people in Bayamo.  Don’t know how that affects the venue going forward.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kba1988 said:

You mentioned you had the specialty dining package.  Did you have to pay any up-charges at the a-la-carte restaurants, or was everything included in the package?  Also did you get to see any of the theatre performances?  How were they? What is the duration?  thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.  We are on the Escape in September.

We had to pay in Bayamo - $10 (+ great so $12) pp & my husband had a lobster tail which was another $9.99 + grat

Sorry we didn't catch any shows so can't help you there. But I thought it was great & I'm sure you'll love it. Besides, you're on vacation so it's already great, no? lol Happy cruising!!!

31 minutes ago, Mr Owl said:

This cruise was my second time on the Escape, and the above has really started to annoy me. It happens far too often.

This had only happened to me one other cruise but was not nearly has many private functions as this cruise! It was so  annoying, I felt like every night I wanted to go to Spice there was a private function. I get it, they paid, blah blah blah, but so did we & why use the popular outside venue? I had heard there were about 800 of them on the ship, so yes big group, but that still leaves over 3m more passengers wanting to use venues.

47 minutes ago, worktocruise610 said:
1 hour ago, Mr Owl said:

This had only happened to me one other cruise but was not nearly has many private functions as this cruise! It was so  annoying, I felt like every night I wanted to go to Spice there was a private function. I get it, they paid, blah blah blah, but so did we & why use the popular outside venue? I had heard there were about 800 of them on the ship, so yes big group, but that still leaves over 3m more passengers wanting to use venues.

Indeed, it seemed like half the time my wife and I went to Spice or District Brewhouse, we encountered "private function". 

I don't want to sound like I'm down on the cruise - it was great overall (as are all 10 cruises we've done), but things like this can become a bit of a problem.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, worktocruise610 said:

Happy cruising

Thank you so much for this!  I appreciate the feed back :)  I try and stay happy and positive.  I am on vacation afterall!!!!

• Like 1

I believe there was an Irish musical group/band, etc on this cruise.  Very large group.  Couldn't help but notice someone wearing the green lanyard around their neck in every single elevator trip we took.  There was also a wedding on the ship on the Friday we left Bermuda.  I am assuming those 2 were the cause of all the private functions.  

10 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

I believe there was an Irish musical group/band, etc on this cruise.  Very large group.  Couldn't help but notice someone wearing the green lanyard around their neck in every single elevator trip we took.  There was also a wedding on the ship on the Friday we left Bermuda.  I am assuming those 2 were the cause of all the private functions.  

Didn't know about the wedding but had heard about the Irish group. It seems they were most of the private functions in Spice as far as I saw. I get it, but it's just tough when you want to be outside & there aren't many options. I know, plenty of places on the ship to go, but you know what I mean. Still a great time though