Dave

baxt

Yes, we have found Fred to be very good with giving free upgrades. We have had them several times. We don’t ask for them and we don’t get disappointed if we don’t get them. But it is very nice when it happens!

i will add that we always book early on the full fare, not a last-minute saver type. I suspect that helps.

They have tended to like to ring and offer a reduced price upgrade rather than a free one in recent years from what I had heard, though we were offered a free upgrade for a 5 week cruise that was not selling, about 18 months ago.  We responded to an answer phone message as we were out when the phone call came in and the only cabin left in the grade that was being offered did not interest us as it had a small fixed double bed.  For this and another occasion we had rang near to sail date to ask if there was a chance of a reduced price upgrade for a specific grade and we accepted one of those offers.  

We were told by a future cruise rep about 4 years ago that the criteria for upgrade offers depends on the price you paid, how early you booked and if you were Gold Oceans members (that was when Gold was the top grade for Oceans membership).  They may, or may not, still use this criteria.    I presume it would depend on the cabin you have booked as well and if they wanted to free some of them up to sell.

Edited by tring

I did and haven't heard the last of it. We were on the Black Watch and had a Balcony Cabin (not brilliant with lifeboats in the way) and got a cabin upgrade to a Junior Suite. Such a large room but no Balcony. The DW loves a balcony. I say no more.