Jamie's Restaurant chain facing collapse

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

Out of Bayonne I would definitely say cheers to that, LOL

Hey now....I usually sail out of Bitmore.....how could my reputation have made it to Anthem after only one sailing 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We tried Jamie’s on Ovation and wasn’t impressed.It was alright but not for the price.

There wasn’t any meat on the menu,such as steak or breaded pork. it was on the first night.

I thought it might have been a discounted menu or are there off menu things you have to ask for.

breaded pork?!?!?!?  image.png.25178f8eb4a9aebd43eaf6b5c16b73dc.png

• Haha 1

We've eaten at Jamie's Italian in the UK and just ate at the one on Anthem and they were similar.  We got 40% off on Anthem due to that extra night on board, so it was a pretty good price, and no pesky flying to Heathrow involved.  I hope for all the staff that something is worked out.

14 hours ago, orville99 said:

The food is no better, and nowhere near worth the cost onboard. Will not miss them if RCL pulls them off their ships. Would be happy if they brought back Portofino. It's been downhill on quality ever since they left.

Loved Portifino’s and Giovanni’s 

8 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Personally I really like Jaime's so I hope they don't take it off the Ships. The lasagna, ult. garlic bread & lemon meringue cheesecake are very delicious. Just had Jaime's last week on Symphony. Yum!

That’s exactly what I had at Jamie’s on the Ovation tonight for dinner.  It’s the best cheesecake on the ship IMO.  

Just read that Jamie Oliver is having financial issues and has to lay off 1600 employees and closing some restaurants. 

Was as wondering if royal Caribbean will be cutting ties with him. And what other restaurant’s could they put in place of Jamie’s. 

I havent eaten in one in one of his restaurants on land or at sea. 

I just got off Symphony and will be writing a full ship review soon (my wife kept a journal of our entire trip).  We sailed in a Grand Suite so we never once ate in a specialty restaurant or the Main Dining room.  We ate in the Coastal Kitchen every night but two (one night we grabbed hot dogs at the boardwalk then hit the windjammer for desserts, and the other night we ate pizza at Sorrento's with desserts/coffee at Cafe Promenade.  We also had breakfast at the CK every morning as well and a few lunches (we're not big lunch eaters).  

At the start of the cruise we did have reservations at Park 150 and Jamie's but after eating at the Coastal Kitchen the first night with the service, views from deck #17 and food (outstanding) we cancelled both reservations and made them for the Coastal Kitchen.  If you're paying for a suite there is no need unless you really crave specialty food to pay for these on board restaurants IMHO.  What we liked about the CK is that my two kids could order an appetizer and be full then pick from the dessert menu.  On the last day of the cruise we did go into the main dining room before it opened to see where we would have sat all week.  It was a small table in the middle of what I'm sure would have been a noisy room.  We knew we made the right choice after seeing it.

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor

21 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Supporting that position (although not necessarily applicable to a foreign proceeding), the US Supreme Court yesterday issued a ruling that a licensor cannot terminate the use of a license by attempting to reject it through the bankruptcy process.

True. Under the U.S.Uniform Franchise Agreement code, the franchisee is an independent owner of the franchise, and the holder of a license obliging them to use the processes, products, and policies of the franchisor. The largest recent test of the impact of franchisor bankruptcy was when Bennigan’s filed for bankruptcy and tried to revoke all of its licenses. The courts ruled that the individual franchise owner could continue to use the Bennigan’s name and any other components of their licensing agreements without any compensation to the franchisor.

Edited by orville99

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

The courts ruled that the individual franchise owner could continue to use the Bennigan’s name and any other components of their licensing agreements without any compensation to the franchisor.

That doesn't sound right, unless it was very specific to the circumstances.

Boarding Ovation on Friday and looking forward to Jamie’s, since I’ve never tried it. Giovanni’s on Freedom was hands down the worst meal in a restaurant I have ever eaten which was surprising because it was great on Oasis.

We liked Jamie's on Anthem so much we ate there twice...

It's a licensing deal, and they've obviously structured the company so UK going down doesn't take down the international licensor.

At the end of the day it will come down to whether RCCL thinks they're getting value for the name "Jamie Oliver" when the term is up.

I really miss Portofino's too.  Never got to Jamie's.  Checked it out on the Anthem and decided it looked more like a cafeteria than a fine dining restaurant and went to Wonderland instead.  SO MUCH BETTER!!!

As far as having a hand in preparing your own food - Celebrity does that in their Lawn Club Grill.  You have the opportunity to make your own pizzas at sea!!  Great restaurant.

I actually enjoy watching Jamie on TV.  His recipes are simple yet tasty.

20 hours ago, Pratique said:

That doesn't sound right, unless it was very specific to the circumstances.

Had Bennigan's petitioned the bankruptcy court for Chapter 11 protection, the licensees would have remained obligated to the court appointed debtor-in-possession while a reorganization plan was developed and approved by its creditors. Bennigan's petition was for Chapter 7, and once accepted by the court, the tangible assets of the corporation's ~150 company owned locations would have been sold off and the intangibles (licenses) would have been vacated.

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Had Bennigan's petitioned the bankruptcy court for Chapter 11 protection, the licensees would have remained obligated to the court appointed debtor-in-possession while a reorganization plan was developed and approved by its creditors. Bennigan's petition was for Chapter 7, and once accepted by the court, the tangible assets of the corporation's ~150 company owned locations would have been sold off and the intangibles (licenses) would have been vacated.

You wrote "without compensation." Does that mean the licensees could use the intangible property free and clear? That's the part I don't understand.

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

You wrote "without compensation." Does that mean the licensees could use the intangible property free and clear? That's the part I don't understand.

Yes, that’s what it means. Intangible assets have little to no value to a creditor in a bankruptcy auction.