AMEX Platinum Benefit

PSULion

23 hours ago, Communik8r said:

You do not have to use a TA.  Call Azamara and tell them to get you the AmEx Platinum benefits.

So, I contacted my Azamara customer service by email asking them to add the AMEX Platinum benefit to my reservation and they said its ONLY valid if I use an authorized TA, not when I book directly with Azamara.  Here is their response:

"The American Xpress benefit is eligible for reservations made through authorized travel agencies. Those agencies must provide Azamara a tracking number provided by AMEX in order for the benefits to apply. Sadly, per the terms and conditions I am able to view it seems booking directly disqualifies reservation for this benefit. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause but should you have any further questions feel free to let me know!"

My TA said he couldn't combine it with the deal he was giving me.  Maybe I'll call Amex directly and see what they can do.

I do swear by the Platinum card, especially for certain airline bookings.  Already saved more than the card price for flight to Hong Kong with Amex Platinum and they let you pay in points at great ratios.  We also put our $200 annual airline credit to Southwest gift cards and use those for flights.  Between airline credits, airport lounges, Uber credits, points, TSA Global, Sacks $100 benefit, this card pays for itself.  

18 hours ago, Trend said:

I understand but we use the $200 credit once a year for hotel or flight and points to help with cost of flights.

Haven't been able to use it yet.

Amex only uses certain airlines, and to get the $200, you need to book through them.

We find other airlines on our own far cheaper.

Hoping to use it on a hotel at some point but Amex rates routinely $80-100 higher than the internet sites.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, alexandermaximo said:

So, I contacted my Azamara customer service by email asking them to add the AMEX Platinum benefit to my reservation and they said its ONLY valid if I use an authorized TA, not when I book directly with Azamara.  Here is their response:

"The American Xpress benefit is eligible for reservations made through authorized travel agencies. Those agencies must provide Azamara a tracking number provided by AMEX in order for the benefits to apply. Sadly, per the terms and conditions I am able to view it seems booking directly disqualifies reservation for this benefit. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause but should you have any further questions feel free to let me know!"

Sorry about that!  Probably too last to switch to a travel agent and get the deal unless you have not paid your final payment yet.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:10 PM, Shawnino said:

Haven't been able to use it yet.

Amex only uses certain airlines, and to get the $200, you need to book through them.

We find other airlines on our own far cheaper.

Hoping to use it on a hotel at some point but Amex rates routinely $80-100 higher than the internet sites.

Not sure about Canada, but in US, you can use the $200 to buy gift certificates on some airlines which can translate to flights.  I know use my $200 for Southwest and get free flights.

10 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Not sure about Canada, but in US, you can use the $200 to buy gift certificates on some airlines which can translate to flights.  I know use my $200 for Southwest and get free flights.

Thanks.

I'll call them and see.

This is more attractive to me than hotel "OBC"..

If you want to use the AMEX $200 flight credit for vouchers/gift cards, go to flyertalk.com and read the threads there on how to do it. DO NOT CALL AMEX as they specifically don't allow this, but if you buy the voucher/gift cards in a certain way, you might get the $200 reimbursed.

JK

11 minutes ago, PSULion said:

If you want to use the AMEX $200 flight credit for vouchers/gift cards, go to flyertalk.com and read the threads there on how to do it. DO NOT CALL AMEX as they specifically don't allow this, but if you buy the voucher/gift cards in a certain way, you might get the $200 reimbursed.

JK

This is why I come here every day 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this full circle, I was able to secure the benefit on the Nov. 5 TA, inclusive of the other offers (plus the additional $500 OBC for the Cuba cancellation). I got the attached file from AMEX if you need any help with your agent in the future for the CPP (Cruise Privileges Program).

REZDOC_50406.pdf

I currently use a Fidelity Visa card with no annual fee and 2% cash back on all purchases, no limits no restrictions. The cash back is deposited automatically into my Fidelity money market account every month. As an example if you charge $50,000 per year you get $1000 cash back. 

Does the Amex platinum with $550 annual fee return $1550 on average if you charge $50,000 per year (3.3%) We travel a lot so trying to better understand alternatives that maximize the return on our spending. We fly 2 to 3 times per year, take a cruise every year, and spend maybe 20 to 25 nights a year in a nice hotel.

Appreciate any comments from those that have actually used Amex platinum for more than a year. We live in the US.

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

I currently use a Fidelity Visa card with no annual fee and 2% cash back on all purchases, no limits no restrictions. The cash back is deposited automatically into my Fidelity money market account every month. As an example if you charge $50,000 per year you get $1000 cash back. 

Does the Amex platinum with $550 annual fee return $1550 on average if you charge $50,000 per year (3.3%) We travel a lot so trying to better understand alternatives that maximize the return on our spending. We fly 2 to 3 times per year, take a cruise every year, and spend maybe 20 to 25 nights a year in a nice hotel.

Appreciate any comments from those that have actually used Amex platinum for more than a year. We live in the US.

The Amex Platinum card doesn't work that way.  It pays only 1% on all purchases, so it wouldn't work for you as your sole card.  The value comes from the other benefits, and will vary depending on how you use them.  But you can get all the Amex Platinum benefits by shifting only a portion of your purchases to it, so you would still get the 2% from Fidelity on most purchases and the Platinum would be gravy.  

Examples of Platinum benefits:  Gold status with Hilton and Marriott; Cruise OBC; 5% on airline tickets booked directly with the airline; $200 annual credit for non-ticket expenses on one airline of your choosing; free entry to airline lounges (Centurion Lounges, The International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Club, and Priority Pass Select lounges); $15 monthly Uber credit; 2.5% on travel booked through Amex; reimbursement of Global Entry fee (every 5 years); and since I have the Schwab version of this card I get a $200 bonus deposited into my Schwab account every year, and when I transfer my rewards points to my Schwab account I get a 25% bonus [raising the card rate from the 1% mentioned above to an effective 1.25%].  You can also redeem the Amex Platinum rewards points as transfers to many airline or hotel loyalty programs, which can be worthwhile when they have a bonus rate.  There are other benefits that I don't remember because I don't use them.  And then when you check your Amex account online you will see a long list of special offers (e.g. spend $500 at Hilton hotels in the next two months and get a $150 statement bonus).  Other the course of the year, all the benefits I take advantage of are worth more than $550.  But I actually charge very few items on this card, so I also get 3%-6% on the other cards I use for special categories.

The $200 non-ticket expenses can convert to tickets by buying Southwest Air gift vouchers.  

I agree on companion cards.  Amex Blue gives you 6% cash back on groceries and 3% on gas.  

There are other good things I like $100 Saks benefit, specials transferring points to JetBlue at 1.5 times rate.   I agree that it's mainly great for travel.  The lounge benefits are a "breaking of that wall" to being treated well on layovers and waits. Hilton status  upgrades work best for me and same with Hertz. You can also get the TPS Global for everyone in your family.    It doesn't work for everyone.  If you don't travel, the ticket discounts (saved $800 on premium economy to HK), the card doesn't work well.  

The AMEX Platinum is particularly good if you fly from a City with a Centurion lounge because you get your value out of a few visits when combined with the other perks. I like the Hilton Gold status as you get upgrades and (usually) a nice free breakfast. The cruise OBC Is nice also. YMMV.

John R.

1 hour ago, PSULion said:

The AMEX Platinum is particularly good if you fly from a City with a Centurion lounge because you get your value out of a few visits when combined with the other perks. I like the Hilton Gold status as you get upgrades and (usually) a nice free breakfast. The cruise OBC Is nice also. YMMV.

John R.

Agree that the Hilton benefit (status upgrade) is better than the Marriott one and has me now looking at Hilton first.  You get the free breakfast and also free access to Executive Club Lounge.  We have a layover on a return in Hong Kong and looking forward to Centurion Lounge there, but some of the Priority Pass lounges are pretty good too (BWI could use an upgrade).  

This thread reminded me to use up my Saks first half of year benefit.  I just used it to get a nice white polo for the white night party.  😎  I didn't own any white casual shirts.  

Here is another thought.  We got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card when it was first issued and have compared the cruise benefits and found that even with the $300 Cruise Privileges, at the $15000 total spend point the Chase card is more valuable than the Amex Platinum in total benefits plus $100 per year less expensive and the big thing that Amex doesn't have is the cruise cancellation benefit that has allowed us to avoid buying any expensive third party insurance other than a very inexpensive medical plan.

Lots of cruisers on other boards have moved to the Reserve and not looked back.  Take a look and it might work for you. 

But don't bother to apply to Chase for any credit card if you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards with any issuer over the previous 24 months – they won't consider your application even if you have 'Rockefeller's money.'

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultimate-guide-chase-5-24-rule/

I gave a lot of thought to the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  Yup, I believe it also offers airport lounge benefits.  It was a close call, but in the end, we stuck with Amex for its different mix of benefits.  Amex has the benefit of Amex travel and I like the company.  They back up my purchases and always seem on top of suspicious activity on my cards.  In any case, these are the two cards that are best for travel and you can't go wrong either way.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But don't bother to apply to Chase for any credit card if you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards with any issuer over the previous 24 months – they won't consider your application even if you have 'Rockefeller's money.'

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultimate-guide-chase-5-24-rule/

Host Jazzbeau is almost completely correct.  Yes, 5/24 is the written rule however there are cases that the credit card bloggers find from time to time where there is no 5/24 language.  Don't forget, with Amex they have the one lifetime bonus per card restriction but, that too is sometimes changed to after 2 years without the card you can get the bonus again and then they sometimes have offers where there is no lifetime language in the offer.

In fact I have two identical Amex Cards without annual fee where the second offer had no lifetime language and I made the spend and got about 100,000 points in the program for the hotel chain.  Yes there are rules you have to be aware of but, they are not iron clad.

Also agree with hubofhockey that these two are the best and for awhile we had both until we got rid of the Platinum and kept the Reserve as for us that was the correct choice. 

We have both the AMEX Platinum (DH’s ‘legacy card’) and Sapphire Reserve. The Ultimate points offered by Chase are far superior, in my experience, to using points on AMEX. Annual travel credit of $200 on AMEX is only for one airline annually and must be preselected. The $300 travel credit on Sapphire is for ANY travel category, and is automatically credited when charges are made. Both offer Priority Lounges, but AMEX does beat that with Delta lounges and Centurion Lounges. Both offer Global Entry.

For our upcoming trip to SE Asia, I transferred points to miles for United  biz on Asiana to HK, and to Singapore Air for return from Singapore, as well as British Air to book RT Hong Kong to Siem Reap on Cathay. That sort of flexibility trumps what I’ve found on AMEX. We did use AMEX points once, and when we had to change flights, they just refunded the cost of the ticket rather than the points.

We dine out and travel quite a bit, and getting 3x points for those purchases adds up quickly. We also have Chase Freedom (a free card) that gets us 2x points for all other purchases.

On our final payment for our upcoming cruise, I could have used AMEX for the $300 OBC, but instead put it on Sapphire and earned 3X points, far more valuable than $300. Just my experience, and it’s the best choice for us as we do a big international trip every year.

Edited by cpgrneyes
More info

For AMEX Platinum, if you can get a trusted friend or family member to add you on as an add-on card, you can get THREE add on cards for $175 with nearly all the same benefits, minus the credits. The cruise benefits still apply, as does lounge access and hotel upgrades. 

13 minutes ago, PSULion said:

For AMEX Platinum, if you can get a trusted friend or family member to add you on as an add-on card, you can get THREE add on cards for $175 with nearly all the same benefits, minus the credits. The cruise benefits still apply, as does lounge access and hotel upgrades. 

That's $175 per person (not 3 for $175 total).  Right?   I took three gold cards for free for my wife and two college kids enabling them to get TSA Global for free, but other than that, all they get is the standard gold card benefits.