First look: Oasis of the Seas is getting the biggest Royal Amplified reimagining ever

19 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

They could always move the show to another ship, but I don't think that's logistically convenient right now.

I'm not sure they could do that. We attended the captain's talk with the CD. They indicated that they know full well folks have had enough of it, but they said it sort of "came with the ship."  Apparently in order to secure it in the first place, they signed a long term contract that they can't get out of.  It was very obvious people grumble and complain about it more than they appreciate it.  They would love to get rid of it but are stuck until that contract runs out.  I am guessing they are more careful now about such things. It's family friendly! It has no plot so it's timeless!  It features incredible talent!  What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I'm not sure they could do that. We attended the captain's talk with the CD. They indicated that they know full well folks have had enough of it, but they said it sort of "came with the ship."  Apparently in order to secure it in the first place, they signed a long term contract that they can't get out of.  It was very obvious people grumble and complain about it more than they appreciate it.  They would love to get rid of it but are stuck until that contract runs out.  I am guessing they are more careful now about such things. It's family friendly! It has no plot so it's timeless!  It features incredible talent!  What could possibly go wrong?

Well, they did it with Chicago.  That used to be on Allure and is gone now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

But Hairspray came back 😉

I can see it now, CATS on Melody, Odyssey,  Icon 🐱

On 5/21/2019 at 11:53 AM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

I assume El Loco Fresh℠ & Portside BBQ℠. will both be "Pay" eateries?

El Loco Fresh is included on Navigator.  (Johnny Rockets, alsoon the pool deck, is not.).  We loved it last week.  Fresh, quick,yummy.  Didn’t have to change out of suits or leave the pool deck!

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Quite a lot as I understand.  One of Broadway's most beloved musicals. 

Seriously, I can't figure out why.  It is panned by almost every person I've ever talked to about it.  You talk to a dozen haters for one person who doesn't mind it or likes it or even loves it.

BUT BUT BUT it is a record-setting musical that lived forever on Broadway, so someone was going to see it!

Cats works well in your hometown theater when that is the main thing you are going to do that day. On a ship, where people are going to the pool for sun, having drinks or taking a tour for a big portion of the day it just doesn't work as well. That, and the first half is somewhat slow moving and the overall time of the play is too long for a cruise ship, when there are so many things to do. My understanding is that RCCL wanted to cut down on the overall time length of the play and whomever owns the rights said they have to show it from A-Z. I am sure RCCL looks at the amount of people who leave at intermission and don't return must realize they are not getting the big bang they thought this show would bring. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I understand, but it sounded like the revered creator of the play, ALW, drove a tough bargain and still controls certain aspects of their production to this day.  Perhaps they had an easier licensing deal on Chicago and I get the impression they have learned their lesson and won't get themselves locked into such a contract again.  Honestly without giving us too many details they basically indicated they are flat out stuck with the production for some time to come still, everyone would prefer it be replaced, but their hands are tied.

This story makes a lot of sense because the simplest explanation is often the accurate one. The overwhelming response to the show is poor, cruise after cruise, week after week.  They must get thousands of comments saying so, practically begging them to replace it, and yet the captain himself says they have a long term contract and the show must therefore go on. 

Edited by KmomChicago

12 hours ago, poncho1973 said:

Seriously, I can't figure out why.  It is panned by almost every person I've ever talked to about it.  You talk to a dozen haters for one person who doesn't mind it or likes it or even loves it.

BUT BUT BUT it is a record-setting musical that lived forever on Broadway, so someone was going to see it!

Have you ever heard Memory 🤔

In all seriousness,  it's probably to long for the cruising public. 

You could probably cut 30 - 40 minutes out and lose the intermission.  Sir ALW seems to have resisted that. Maybe that will change if contract is renewed. 

They really need to go back to performing one or two songs from every ALW musical like they did 15 years ago.

Joseph, Evita, Phantom, Cats, etc...

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I understand, but it sounded like the revered creator of the play, ALW, drove a tough bargain and still controls certain aspects of their production to this day.  Perhaps they had an easier licensing deal on Chicago and I get the impression they have learned their lesson and won't get themselves locked into such a contract again.  Honestly without giving us too many details they basically indicated they are flat out stuck with the production for some time to come still, everyone would prefer it be replaced, but their hands are tied.

This story makes a lot of sense because the simplest explanation is often the accurate one. The overwhelming response to the show is poor, cruise after cruise, week after week.  They must get thousands of comments saying so, practically begging them to replace it, and yet the captain himself says they have a long term contract and the show must therefore go on. 

Blame me. I always rave about it in my surveys.

It was better than Michael Bolton. 😉

You actually heard the Oasis Captain say that?  Was it at Captain Corner 🤔

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

Our neighbor was the captain of Oasis back a few years ago. Trim. He said they have a 5 year contract with CATS, 2020 the contract is up. So being the dry dock is this year most likely it will have to stay on. 

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We do blame you.....

The Royal band and singers were better than Michael Bolton. The entertainment that occurred in the 2nd roll was much better as well. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, renza said:

Our neighbor was the captain of Oasis back a few years ago. Trim. He said they have a 5 year contract with CATS, 2020 the contract is up. So being the dry dock is this year most likely it will have to stay on. 

5 years coincides with the drydock schedule. There was supposedly an option to extend. 

Did Royal exercise it is the question. Maybe there was a negotiation to modify it.

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Have you ever heard Memory 🤔

In all seriousness,  it's probably to long for the cruising public. 

You could probably cut 30 - 40 minutes out and lose the intermission.  Sir ALW seems to have resisted that. Maybe that will change if contract is renewed. 

They really need to go back to performing one or two songs from every ALW musical like they did 15 years ago.

Joseph, Evita, Phantom, Cats, etc...

I have.  It might be the one saving grace???

My wife loves musicals so very much and I've been to so many of them and in so many locales around the country and the world.  I hate them all, well except that Cirque du Soleil one we saw on Broadway called Paramour.  It wasn't that the story was so amazing, but stuff was happening the entire time and it was entertaining.  I'm obligated to go see Phantom of the Opera every time she finds one because it was the first date she ever took ME on.  I balk and try to insert someone else in my stead whenever I possibly can, but I will never get out of Phantom.

ETA:

I might also state that I still don't quite understand the story of Phantom, even after so many viewings.  If I summarize it I just say there's a creepy dude who becomes obsessed with this singer girl and does everything in his power to make her creepy like him and there's a boat scene in fog and a graveyard and some of it is set in different times from the rest of the show.  Then he kills himself.  I believe this is mostly because I blank out during the show.

Edited by poncho1973
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

I have.  It might be the one saving grace???

My wife loves musicals so very much and I've been to so many of them and in so many locales around the country and the world.  I hate them all, well except that Cirque du Soleil one we saw on Broadway called Paramour.  It wasn't that the story was so amazing, but stuff was happening the entire time and it was entertaining.  I'm obligated to go see Phantom of the Opera every time she finds one because it was the first date she ever took ME on.  I balk and try to insert someone else in my stead whenever I possibly can, but I will never get out of Phantom.

ETA:

I might also state that I still don't quite understand the story of Phantom, even after so many viewings.  If I summarize it I just say there's a creepy dude who becomes obsessed with this singer girl and does everything in his power to make her creepy like him and there's a boat scene in fog and a graveyard and some of it is set in different times from the rest of the show.  Then he kills himself.  I believe this is mostly because I blank out during the show.

The chandelier is important.  That's why it has to be done in a large theater

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neptune18 said:

So to review:

No Park 150?

No Wonderland?

Everyone hates Cats.

Not everyone 😉

I must have missed that 150 is going away

Edited by John&LaLa

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You actually heard the Oasis Captain say that?  Was it at Captain Corner 🤔

He and Jeff the CD were there and they hinted that there wasn’t anything that could be done for some time yet. Yes if that’s what they call that chat on the last sea day.

5 hours ago, neptune18 said:

So to review:

No Park 150?

No Wonderland?

Everyone hates Cats.

Park 150 is on the new deck plans and I like cats

Edited by later
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's accurate that it expires in 2020, it would seem pretty obvious that they will let it go.  In all the debates I've seen on the CC boards I can't imagine anyone, anywhere, would vote for them to RENEW it.  Unless they were planning to send the ship over to the Asian market or somewhere it might be better received. Americans have obviously had enough of it (with a few very notable exceptions).  More musicals are made available for licensing all the time. 

Businesses make really stupid decisions all the time, but it would be pretty surprising if RCI could be that stupid.

• Like 1