Chairs in Balcony cabin on Crown Princess

gm217

Just came off the Crown Princess last week and was wondering why the cruise line took the extra chair in the balcony cabins out.  I asked the stateroom attendant and she said they were taken out last year.  I sailed the Diamond in Feb 2018 and we had the extra chair in our balcony cabin.  

Edited by gm217

Unfortunately, Princess has indeed removed the barrel chair from all of the standard balcony rooms. There was a 40 page or so thread here a while back where most, not all protested their removal. Numerous calls to Princess were answered saying that if you wanted one to request it, but they couldn’t guaranty there would be one available. Princess must think only one person needs a chair; the other can stand or sit on the bed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Are we talking about the chair that is used for the vanity/desk area?  Will I have to stand while putting my makeup on? 😱

No the desk chair is still there.

12 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Are we talking about the chair that is used for the vanity/desk area?  Will I have to stand while putting my makeup on? 😱

The chair by the vanity/desk area is still there! :classic_smile:

The chair by the vanity/desk area (for putting on makeup, doing hair, etc.)  is still there.  :classic_smile:

It's the other chair (the barrel chair) that has been removed in standard balcony cabins.  

On our recent cruise in a balcony cabin on the Ruby Princess, Mrs. XBGuy brought one of the two chairs from the balcony into the cabin.  It worked well for us.  Also, when the chair was left out on the balcony, there was noticeably more room in the cabin.

• Like 1

I just thought it was odd having to eat one person at the desk chair and one person on the bed.  We were on a cruise that it was too cold to use the balcony.

I think it's worth noting that Princess was already behind the competition before this move. Most major cruise lines (HAL, Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Carnival) have a sofa in a standard balcony cabin. People who've sailed primarily Princess don't seem to know this.

Princess can't even provide two chairs to sit on if two people want to spend an hour or two reading or watching TV. I'll continue sailing Princess because we usually like the space of a mini-suite and the minis still have some sitting room.

But If we wanted primarily balcony cabins, we would look at Celebrity or HAL for our main cruise squeeze.

Jim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Cleaning and reupholstering. Plus they changed the colors in the room and the blue chairs won’t go with the orange and brown. 

Did they change the colors of the rooms on the entire fleet? I didn’t realize that. Not sure about how often they clean or reupholster the furniture.

Just another annoying thing that makes you look at other cruise lines.  The first night on this cruise we had prime rib for dinner, the absolute worst I ever had.  The only good meal we had was in the Crown Grill.

To those who say removing the chair provides extra space in the cabin, what would you use the extra space for???    It's not like you're going to be dancing or doing aerobics in there!   I could see someone wanting it removed if they were storing a wheel chair or walker, but that could be handled easily on a case by case basis.   We are among those who will never again book a balcony cabin on Princess with no place to sit to watch TV, enjoy room service, just sit and chill while spouse is finishing getting dressed.    There are much better options on other cruise lines at the basic balcony level.   

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

To those who say removing the chair provides extra space in the cabin, what would you use the extra space for???    It's not like you're going to be dancing or doing aerobics in there!   I could see someone wanting it removed if they were storing a wheel chair or walker, but that could be handled easily on a case by case basis.   We are among those who will never again book a balcony cabin on Princess with no place to sit to watch TV, enjoy room service, just sit and chill while spouse is finishing getting dressed.    There are much better options on other cruise lines at the basic balcony level.   

Exactly. I sometimes wonder if these people that are gladvthe chair is gone work for Princess. Stupid idea, I know. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gm217 said:

I just thought it was odd having to eat one person at the desk chair and one person on the bed.  We were on a cruise that it was too cold to use the balcony.

It is rare than cannibals book a Princess cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

The prime rib is usually good but once in a while the quality of the meat can be bad. I would send it back and get something else if this happens. I just wish they would get rid of the over cooked corn

Happy to see the barrel chair topic has returned to CC. We will continue to cruise Princess in standard balcony cabins. If bringing a balcony chair into the cabin becomes an issue we will switch cruise lines. We like itineraries and most everything about Princess except the chair removal.

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, jasbo49 said:

I think it's worth noting that Princess was already behind the competition before this move. Most major cruise lines (HAL, Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Carnival) have a sofa in a standard balcony cabin. People who've sailed primarily Princess don't seem to know this.

Princess can't even provide two chairs to sit on if two people want to spend an hour or two reading or watching TV. I'll continue sailing Princess because we usually like the space of a mini-suite and the minis still have some sitting room.

But If we wanted primarily balcony cabins, we would look at Celebrity or HAL for our main cruise squeeze.

Jim

I fully agree.  Recently, choosing a Holiday cruise, we agreed that if we chose Princess, it would have to be a mini-suite, as the standard balcony is too cramped, and we were constantly moving that barrel chair around.  When my DH suggested that we have them remove it, I said "Then we have no place to sit!" Celebrity and HAL have a little love seat that works for us.  But we are booked in a mini-suite  on Princess in December because we like the date and the itinerary .  

• Like 1